uncle krunkus

Creative Xfi Fatality and WIN7 64bit

This seems as good a place as any, as it's mostly about troubleshooting my WIN7 upgrade and the issues with my Xfi Fatality card.

I recently upgraded to WIN7 64bit (OEM Home Premium)

That process in itself seemed like the easiest upgrade I've ever done, at first.

There are a couple of potentiall crucial elements to include, so please bare with me while I list as many of them as I can.

Started by adding a new 160GB SATA drive.

I also added a second 8600GT in SLI mode (It's an Nvidia SLI MB, shifted jumpers, added bridge, I'd heard conflicting stories about them having different amounts of RAM, but thought I'd give it a go anyway. One is 1GB the other is 512MB)

I left my XFi Fatality Champion in place.

At that point I didn't have my new 4GB of RAM, so I left the pair of 512MBs in place.

The install of WIN7 was a snap. Everything seemed to install itself, except for the Xfi drivers which I simply added manually. (Newest Vista 64bit drivers)

And everything seemed to run fine. A little bit "dozey", and would sometimes lock up if left to it's own devices for more than 20mins, (1GB of RAM?)

But Fallout3 ran quite smooth. Sound was spot on, in Fallout3 and Media Player.

The system saw 2*8600GTs, and listed them in the device manager, Furmark even had a separate temp graph for each, but one just plateaued out while the other kept rising. Fallout3s config listed SLI mode as Off. I decided that it was probably a no go and pulled the 1GB (which I haven't paid for yet), shifted all the jumpers back, and at this point my new pair of Corsair 2GB sticks turned up, so while I was in there I pulled the old RAM and put in the 4GB.

When I booted, I noticed immediately the snappiness of having 4GB behind WIN7. Fallout3 ran beautifully, like I'd never seen it before. Unfortunately, it was like I'd never heard it before either! LOL!! Stutters, choppy, sped up, drop-outs, "playing" the hard drive access, and finally just completely dead, no sound.

Whether running the Creative "tests", playing from Media Center, or the sound inside a game such as Fallout 3, the same effects are all over the place. Completely mashed up, sound like it's playing corrupted audio files with bits of random RAM thrown in here and there. Then it goes silent until you point it at a new file. This is with brand new Vista 64bit drivers installed, uninstalled, re-installed, different PCI slot, etc. etc. etc.

So, I pulled the card, enabled the on-board sound in bios, booted, let WIN7 find the drivers (AC97), and,...... it works perfectly.

I must admit, that I'm not that surprised. Creative has a consistent record of releasing bloated, buggy, late drivers, and maybe giving them 4GB of RAM to play in is just asking for problems?

I actually can't find specific drivers for this card which are for WIN7 64bit. Only a Vista version.

So my gut reaction is that this card is a doorstop until Creative re-write WIN7 drivers for it. Knowing them, that could be years away, if ever.

Am I missing something or not?

Did trying SLI cause an IRQ brain-fart which I might be able to re-set?

Maybe I should just shift to a better audio card. Maybe one with amazing SNR, low latency, relevant drivers, good quality balanced interface, and less crap which I don't need. Could actually be a good thing?

BTW I'm gonna put my current system info in my sig ASAP

BTBTW Thanks for reading all that and any insight you might like to share.

I must admit, that I'm not that surprised. Creative has a consistent record of releasing bloated, buggy, late drivers, and maybe giving them 4GB of RAM to play in is just asking for problems?

I actually can't find specific drivers for this card which are for WIN7 64bit. Only a Vista version.

So my gut reaction is that this card is a doorstop until Creative re-write WIN7 drivers for it. Knowing them, that could be years away, if ever.

That pretty much sums it all up.

Creative are fucked.

Sorry, that's the one I've got.

I was hung up on the fact that this one doesn't specify 64bit.

But yeah, it's the one I've been trying to get going.

Does the "hearing the drive access" mean it could be an IRQ conflict?

But then, why was it fine when I only had 1GB RAM installed?

Maybe the failed SLI attempt actually forced a different IRQ assignment?

I'm just thinking out loud.

Try uninstalling it completely, shutdown, remove the card, reboot, shutdown and reinstall the card and the driver.

The download(s) available for X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series on Windows 7 64-bit is listed below.

View: Driver | Application | Beta Application | All

Driver

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi series driver 2.18.0015

Filesize : 46.74 MB Download Hide Details

Release date : 16 Jun 10

File Name : SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0015.exe

This download is a driver providing Microsoft® Windows® 7 support for Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series of audio devices. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

Take note of the following:

This download currently supports Windows 7 only. Support for Windows Vista and Windows XP will be available at a later date.

This download supports the following audio devices only:

Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty® Professional Series

Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series

Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer

Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum

Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty

Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

Sound Blaster X-Fi

Fixes:

Resolves the following issues:

System taking more than two minutes to shut down.

PowerDVD® DX 8.3 (Dell® version) not working properly.

Passthrough of Dolby®/DTS® audio to an external decoder not working with Windows Media Player 12.

Requirements:

Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit or Windows 7 32-bit

Sound Blaster X-Fi audio devices listed above

Notes:

Do not install this driver for Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio.

To install this driver

Download the SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0015.exe file onto your local hard disk.

Double-click the downloaded file.

Follow the instructions on the screen.

Edited by LogicprObe

Yeah, I blocked WIN7 from doing the drivers before I installed the Creative ones originally.

But the only thing that changed from go to woe was the pulling of the other 8600GT and the shifting up to 4GB RAM.

Yeah, I blocked WIN7 from doing the drivers before I installed the Creative ones originally.

But the only thing that changed from go to woe was the pulling of the other 8600GT and the shifting up to 4GB RAM.

Often, when I make changes like that, I have to clear the cmos to make stuff work again.

I'll try wiping everything Creative and then re-installing, and get back tomorrow.

Thanks for the help so far. :)

What do you mean by "clearing the CMOS"?

This will probably make me sound like a complete luddite, but I've never heard of it.

How do you reset the bios?

Turn it off and unplug the 240V power cord.

Then short out those two terminals over the battery for about 3 secs.

Don't do it with the power on or bad shit will happen.

I always have to do this on Gigabyte boards when changing shit around.......especially memory.

Ahh,

so forcing it to re-load all the defaults from ROM yeah?

Can't you just choose "load defaults" in the BIOS?

Can't you just choose "load defaults" in the BIOS?

No.

Have you looked for the drivers made by Daniel_k?

That's a lot of trouble to go to for something that should be so simple. You have my sympathy.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with a Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro and using the Creative drivers downloaded from their site. Everything works perfectly. Always did, even with the RC. But that's not what you wanted to hear.

There might possibly be some other cause particular to your card. I'm surprised more people aren't experiencing the same problem, given the popularity of those fatality cards.

I run Audigy 2 Platinum Pro and the default drivers in Win 7 are problematic, low volume etc.......but the new ones work great.

What do you all think about the IRQ idea?

I've no idea how to resolve that anyway, as the IRQs are largely automatic these days.

But maybe "clearing the BIOS" will do just that kinda thing.

Anyway, tonight I'll clear all the Creative stuff and then put the card back in like I don't know any better. :)

Maybe I can fool it?! LOL (or myself?)

Is there a version of Driver Cleaner Pro that works on WIN7?

Often, sticking the card into a different slot can have positive results..........along with a cmos clearing...........

Okay,

Now this is starting to get weird.

I uninstalled everything Creative.

Shut down.

Pulled the CMOS battery, shorted the terminals, cleaned battery and replaced.

Put the XFi back in, and went into the BIOS, to shut down the AC97 and restore everything else to where it should be.

Booted WIN7 and it automatically installed a set of "SB Xfi" drivers. It has never managed to do that before.

The card was just putting out white noise until I re-inserted the line out plug. Went quiet.

I decided to install the latest drivers anyway, just to be sure.

It started installing the drivers and then froze. Everything dead, had to do a forced shutdown.

Re-started, WIN7 goes, "Shut down incorrectly" so I choose "start normally"

It gets to the rainbow windows and automatically re-starts.

This time "Windows installation damaged, click to start system repair"

"Can't repair, would you like to do a system restore point?" - Yes

Auto restart.

"Windows installation damaged, click to start system repair"

About 20mins later

"System cannot be automatically repaired"

Choose advanced repair options.

Something about "if you recently installed,...--- remove and try to restart"

So I pulled the card.

Windows starts normally. No problems. No sound.

I really don't know what to think now.

Could there be a fault on the card?

Why was it working fine last week?

Sounds like it. How old is it?

Warranty?

Try it in another PC?

Originally it was in the bottom slot, all this stuff today was in the slot above that (2nd from the bottom)

Maybe I should try one more time in the bottom slot again?