Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

Windows software RAID rebuild

3-4 days for a 2TB (3X1TB) raid5? Really?

Is Raid 1 any faster?

I cant afford hardware raid, and I LOVE the flexability of windows software raid (you can do..... ANYTHING to it, and it'll recover, you should see what mines been through!)

Is there another way to do it? I'm considering doing a nightly Sync instead of raid1; nothing will change daily thats too important, so a sync is a pretty good solution really.

There is no alternative to Raid5 is there?

or a way to speed it up?

Thanks.

It's because softraid does all the XOR'ing in software, which is nuts slow. Not too bad for doing it on-the-fly, but all at once is going to take some time.

Seriously, save your pennies and get a "cheap" Adaptec RAID card.

It's because softraid does all the XOR'ing in software, which is nuts slow. Not too bad for doing it on-the-fly, but all at once is going to take some time.

Seriously, save your pennies and get a "cheap" Adaptec RAID card.

Don't go too cheap, it will just offload the XOR work to your CPU anyway.

But yeah, why is it that huge of a concern? How often are you rebuilding? :/

Constantly. Blackouts longer than my UPS can handle, surges that trip the UPS safety, general lockups (rare) and me bumping the damn plug a lot ><'

For now i'm gonna sync between disks as an alternative to 'raid1' (a nightly backup if you will).

Will look into a dedicated RAID card later down the track I guess.

Cheapo UPS, but yes it does have a USB cable. I should really bother to do that.

mirror backups in the meantime untill i need space.

there's a windows solution to ZFS now too?

No. I believe what he means is that ZFS would solve this problem elegantly in software, rather than using a prehistoric and inferior filesystem like NTFS to do the work (and at that, do it poorly). I blew a 1TB sammy F1 last week in my 5 disk RAIDZ1 array - and it's reslivered 832GB in under 6 hours.

With ZFS - you'd be able to set up software RAIDZ1 (equivalent of single parity RAID5), have more power, better CPU utilisation and less overheads as a result of L1ARC/L2ARC et al. You'd be doing yourself a big favour by using it, like the rest of us do these days.

That said, if it's your primary work machine - and you need windows for what you do/it's not a dedicated storage server - might not be the best idea. If it's dedicated though, and it's a storage/NAS box, I'd actively encourage you to use ZFS man...

Cheers.

z

Edited by zebra

ZFS with CIFS connectivity.

Of if you're too attached to ACLs and other NTFS tidbits, you could set up your zpool as an iSCSI target.

I agree zebra, the only reason I dont use it, is I have a lot of windows tools that I use to admin. Also games servers, and a bunch more stuff.