lance volcanix

My PC, final design. Halp needed...

Hey guys (and girls)

I (being me) am finalizing the design for my computer...

I have checked again and again about compatibility between the components, this is just a last minute check... and suggestion board, because some of the products I'm getting, may not be appropriate for my use (3D Gaming and Rendering), and you may have to mentor me in the ways of the techie, for I am young and foolhardy.

Here it is:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 (Space for upgrades :) )

GPU: XFX 5850

CPU: Intel I7-930 (The only way I'm going is up. The 980X is far in the future, but the future holds cheaper prices.)

HDD: 2 X 1TB Seagate Barracuda (Just space for stuff in general)

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 775W SP-TTPX775

Wireless card: TP Link - TL-WN951N

RAM: Kingston 6GB KVR1333D3N9K3/6G

Case: Lancool Dragonlord PC-K62 (Yet again, Space for Upgrades)

Monitor: AOC 2236Vw 21.5" (Now I could get a bigger screen, but I thought I might start with something small first, then Hijack the family TV :3 )

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-B083A (For both DVD and Blu-ray)

The overall cost for these from my local Comp store is:

$2368

Not including the OS...

So... What do you say?

Unless you're planning on going absolutely batshit crazy with the video cards, the mainboard is overkill. If you go for the GA-X58A-UD3R and get a GTX 480 for a tiny bit more, you'd already have much better graphics performance and still have room to get SLI going.

Plus if you plan to go batshit crazy with the graphics cards (4 of them), the PSU won't hold up anyway.

24" LCDs cost ~$20 more than 21/22"ers. Not really a worthwhile saving.

A decent 24" is only ~$60 more - the BenQ G2420 @ $230 is awesome; using that rig with a 21.5" is a bit of a shame, and TBH a family TV just doesn't substitute for a monitor. Pr0n watching aside the low pixel density and average specs of most HDTV's just don't cut it, and for gaming.... just not a good idea IMO. Another quick win would be swapping the 2x1TB drives for a 2TB drive (actually cheaper nowadays). Also you can do better than the TT 775w for the price - a Corsair HX-750 would be awesome sauce. Finally, swapping out the UD7 (great as it is) for an ASUS P6X58D will save $130 without losing out on any significant space for upgrades - the UD7 is a very, very high end board. The P6X58D is 'just' high end.

That should leave you ~$90 better off overall, however if it was me, I'd drop the Blu-Ray saving another $60. You could then A) pocket the $150 B) upgrade to an HD 5870 C) add in an Intel X25-V 40GB SSD boot drive, or D) spend an additional $70 and get dual GTX 360 1GB cards (though you may want to go SLI/Crossfire later with more powerful cards).

Edited by philo-sofa

i'd switch up a few things. try this

Posted Image

Not sure if you're a student or have one in your house but you can pick up win 7 64bit for $49 here

http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts...ng/default.aspx

I'm sure you can make your own mind up on the rest but IMO you're better off spending the bulk of your money on GOOD stuff and then worrying about the tiny bits ie.network card later when budget allows.

edit. Oh and that CPU/motherboard will overclock really easily so might be worth investing in a decent Noctua CPU cooler in a month or two - set you back roughly $100

And last edit....you might want to get an HX850 instead ....give you more leeway to add a second 5870 in 6/12 months?

i didnt include optical drives because theyre really cheap

Edited by andyhoughton

Unless you're planning on going absolutely batshit crazy with the video cards, the mainboard is overkill. If you go for the GA-X58A-UD3R and get a GTX 480 for a tiny bit more

True, I could save a bit If I went back to the UD3R, and I was thinking about this one before...

The GTX 480 does operate slightly better than the XFX 5850 but it costs around $300 more...

Not sure if you're a student or have one in your house but you can pick up win 7 64bit for $49 here

This is just an upgrade, from Windows Vista to 7, not a full copy.

A decent 24" is only ~$60 more - the BenQ G2420 @ $230 is awesome; using that rig with a 21.5" is a bit of a shame

Thanks for that, Officially changed.

and also...

Intel X25-V 40GB SSD are around $188

a Corsair HX-750 would be awesome sauce

Couldn't find it in my local store's catalog

I assume the CMPSU-750TXAU wouldn't be far off?

Unless you're planning on going absolutely batshit crazy with the video cards, the mainboard is overkill. If you go for the GA-X58A-UD3R and get a GTX 480 for a tiny bit more

True, I could save a bit If I went back to the UD3R, and I was thinking about this one before...

The GTX 480 does operate slightly better than the XFX 5850 but it costs around $300 more...

A decent 24" is only ~$60 more - the BenQ G2420 @ $230 is awesome; using that rig with a 21.5" is a bit of a shame

and also...

a Corsair HX-750 would be awesome sauce

Does your local store order parts in at the request of customers? If so the Corsair HX-750 really is a great choice.

@andyhoughton - The upgrade to 7 profesional is a good price from that site but you require a copy of Vista to start with to upgrade from so it's not worth it unless you already own Vista. Much better to get a retail box for the option of both 32/64bit or going the OEM version that you will be using.

TBH I wouldn't go any further than either an HD 5870 or a pair of 1GB GTX 460's.

Yeah, but bear in mind an upgrade is still more expensive than $49. If you are a student I'd just go with that...

and also...

Yeah I figured you could find the $30 from somewhere ;)

Would order an HX-750 in if you can. The TX-750 is actually no better than the TT-775 (the former being Corsair's worst PSU). TBH if you can't get a good Corsair easily, the TT isn't all that bad, just not ideal.

Also, althogh it's more expensive than the GA-X58A-UD3, the ASUS P6X58D is a better board, primarily due to its superior implementation of SATA 3/USB 3 - in the UD3, this cuts down on bandwidth available to the PCIe slots in Crossfire/SLI etc.

You can use the ISO they give you to burn a DVD and upgrade from XP to win7 - I just did exactly that on my computer.

You just boot from the disc and select upgrade, when you get through the installation it asks you for your CD key - you select the option to enter the key later.

once you get into the win7 environment you can then run the auto run on the dvd and select upgrade again. it then takes you through the entire process.

I did this on my blank SSD however it is possible from an existing XP partition.

IMO that 40GB SSD will run out of space far to quickly. I have win7 + bfbc2 + MW2 and i have about 8Gb left on my SSD (60GB) Go for something a little bigger.

Would order an HX-750 in if you can. The TX-750 is actually no better than the TT-775 (the former being Corsair's worst PSU). TBH if you can't get a good Corsair easily, the TT isn't all that bad, just not ideal.

Just found the PSU, further down the list.

Thanks.

^^ I'd agree if at all possible that a 60GB Sandforce drive would be ideal if it can be squeezed into the budget, however I found fitting Win 7 x64, Chrome, Office and a few other small apps into a 60GB left ~30GB free, so a 40GB should function ok as a boot drive, or does x64 such up so much space over time (registry or something like that) it becomes an issue over time?

Thanks.

Schweet :)

Edited by philo-sofa

You can use the ISO they give you to burn a DVD and upgrade from XP to win7 - I just did exactly that on my computer.

You just boot from the disc and select upgrade, when you get through the installation it asks you for your CD key - you select the option to enter the key later.

once you get into the win7 environment you can then run the auto run on the dvd and select upgrade again. it then takes you through the entire process.

Yes I have done this myself for a friends computer. The only problem that I have with this is that you must go through multiple installations of OS's just to get Windows running. For the price I agree it is well worth it. But I would still prefer to buy an OEM or Retail box and just do a clean install of Windows 7 straight off the get go. Less hassel. And if you need to do a reinstall for some reason you don't have to install previous versions of Windows to do it.

All I can add to this is my support for an SSD for the operating system, and to remind you if your upgrade is not 64bit then you need to grab an OEM of win7 HP 64bit.

IMO that 40GB SSD will run out of space far to quickly. I have win7 + bfbc2 + MW2 and i have about 8Gb left on my SSD (60GB) Go for something a little bigger.

That's why I was originally planning to have 2 x 1TB HDD's. Usually, the boot drive is just meant for the OS and a few programs that don't change very often (this is why games that have 'saves' aren't optimal for an SSD)

^^ I'd agree if at all possible that a 60GB Sandforce drive would be ideal if it can be squeezed into the budget, however I found fitting Win 7 x64, Chrome, Office and a few other small apps into a 60GB left ~30GB free, so a 40GB should function ok as a boot drive, or does x64 such up so much space over time (registry or something like that) it becomes an issue over time?

Thanks.

Schweet :)

I had plenty of space 'pre-game' but once i installed my two favourate games that space shrunk quickly. IMO you want to have a couple of games on your SSD to really enjoy the speed. you can uninstall and update to new games as they change.

One problem with this is the Steam platform and the way it uses directories

Yes I have done this myself for a friends computer. The only problem that I have with this is that you must go through multiple installations of OS's just to get Windows running. For the price I agree it is well worth it. But I would still prefer to buy an OEM or Retail box and just do a clean install of Windows 7 straight off the get go. Less hassel. And if you need to do a reinstall for some reason you don't have to install previous versions of Windows to do it.

By multiple you mean....two?

I installed to a brand new SSD...had to perform a 'quick' install and then once i was in the win 7 enviro I installed fully which took a little longer from memory.

edit: although 'a little longer' wasnt much longer at all - SSD is very quick :)

Edited by andyhoughton

That's why I was originally planning to have 2 x 1TB HDD's. Usually, the boot drive is just meant for the OS and a few programs that don't change very often (this is why games that have 'saves' aren't optimal for an SSD)

I have a 60gig SSD, (This one to be exact $205.00 ) and save files are not a problem as the games are installed to a 500gig drive as is the steam folder, so all saves go to that drive. So IMHO a 60gig SSD for the operating system is a sound investment, mine has all the usual programs installed like office, anti virus, ect, (I have used about 2/3rds of the drive space) everything else goes on my other HDD"s.

save files are not a problem as the games are installed to a 500gig drive as is the steam folder, so all saves go to that drive. So IMHO a 60gig SSD for the operating system is a sound investment, mine has all the usual programs installed like office, anti virus, ect, (I have used about 2/3rds of the drive space) everything else goes on my other HDD"s.

That's what I thought.

So I think I should just get a HDD (the 1TB) for the majority of my programs and games, and have the SDD (Roughly 40-60GB) as my bot drive, with Win7 and Office.

save files are not a problem as the games are installed to a 500gig drive as is the steam folder, so all saves go to that drive. So IMHO a 60gig SSD for the operating system is a sound investment, mine has all the usual programs installed like office, anti virus, ect, (I have used about 2/3rds of the drive space) everything else goes on my other HDD"s.

That's what I thought.

So I think I should just get a HDD (the 1TB) for the majority of my programs and games, and have the SDD (Roughly 40-60GB) as my bot drive, with Win7 and Office.

60 gig at least, that way you wont struggle for room. After all you want most of the programs you use regularly to be on the SSD. :)

By multiple you mean....two?

I installed to a brand new SSD...had to perform a 'quick' install and then once i was in the win 7 enviro I installed fully which took a little longer from memory.

edit: although 'a little longer' wasnt much longer at all - SSD is very quick :)

Must say it wouldn't be much of a hassel with an SSD =].

At the moment they're not feasible for me with the price they cost and the amount of room I get on them. I have three 7200rpm seagate drives that work perfectly on my main family machine and the speed of the machine isn't slow at all. It takes a couple of seconds when a drive needs to spin up to access my data stores but other than that im sitting pretty with the mechanical drives. What's the most notible improvement you have with them? faster boot times and quicker loading for games?

Everything loads faster, in most cases a lot faster. On top of moving data around about 3 times as fast as a platter drive, an SSD has ~ 0.1ms access times. In comparison most platter drives have ~ 13ms latency - seeing as a platter drive has to access several hundred (or even thousand for windows startup) different points on the drive (as it uses basically the same principle as a turntable) the drive often spends half its time looking for, not actually transferring data. So yeah, it makes a lot of difference. Generally speaking a Sandforce based drive like the OCZ Vertex 2/Agility 2 will give you the best price for performance, and trust me... you do want an SSD.

Everything loads faster, in most cases a lot faster. On top of moving data around about 3 times as fast as a platter drive, an SSD has ~ 0.1ms access times. In comparison most platter drives have ~ 13ms latency - seeing as a platter drive has to access several hundred (or even thousand for windows startup) different points on the drive (as it uses basically the same principle as a turntable) the drive often spends half its time looking for, not actually transferring data. So yeah, it makes a lot of difference. Generally speaking a Sandforce based drive like the OCZ Vertex 2/Agility 2 will give you the best price for performance, and trust me... you do want an SSD.

Yep it is everything. Games load super quick. windows 7 loads in 40 seconds. everything you do just appears and happens...very very quickly. itunes doesnt load its just there....programs install faster.

its the drive that just keeps giving

Yep it is everything. Games load super quick. windows 7 loads in 40 seconds. everything you do just appears and happens...very very quickly. itunes doesnt load its just there....programs install faster.

its the drive that just keeps giving

When they become acceptable price per GB wise I'll look into grabbing one then. iTunes is of no concern to me though lol. I stick clear of everything Apple. even iPods.

When they become acceptable price per GB wise I'll look into grabbing one then. iTunes is of no concern to me though lol. I stick clear of everything Apple. even iPods.

I remember paying $150.00 for a 4gig platter drives many years ago was that acceptable ? To me at the time it was as I needed more space, and that was the going rate for a 4 gig drive. But it is unfair to compare it to today's hard drives and prices, but if you did then the $230.00 I paid for me 60gig SSD was a bargain.

What I am getting at is SSD may never get as cheap as platter drives so, you could wait forever for it to be a "more acceptable price" so why wait to get one and by doing so deprive yourself of a great boost for your computer by installing your operating system on one. :)

Oh and I agree with your stand on apple, I am sure many people love it but it leaves me cold ;)

Edited by bowiee

I remember paying $150.00 for a 4gig platter drives many years ago was that acceptable ? To me at the time it was as I needed more space, and that was the going rate for a 4 gig drive. But it is unfair to compare it to today's hard drives and prices, but if you did then the $230.00 I paid for me 60gig SSD was a bargain.

What I am getting at is SSD may never get as cheap as platter drives so, you could wait forever for it to be a "more acceptable price" so why wait to get one and by doing so deprive yourself of a great boost for your computer by installing your operating system on one. :)

Oh and I agree with your stand on apple, I am sure many people love it but it leaves me cold ;)

I think it's personal opinion whether something price wise is acceptable. To me on my trainee wage $230 for a 60GB SSD simply isn't feasible. Although, I would have one in a heart beat if I had the money. But because of my wage I am going to have to wait till they come down in price for me to be able to justify spending that much on a drive, no matter the performance increase. It is an atractive adition to a system that I will one day include enthusiastically =].

I know a few people who have got an iPhone, iPod and when the iPad came out they went crazy over it. One going so far as to trade in her laptop to get the money for one >.<.

I think it's personal opinion whether something price wise is acceptable. To me on my trainee wage $230 for a 60GB SSD simply isn't feasible. Although, I would have one in a heart beat if I had the money. But because of my wage I am going to have to wait till they come down in price for me to be able to justify spending that much on a drive, no matter the performance increase. It is an atractive adition to a system that I will one day include enthusiastically =].

I know a few people who have got an iPhone, iPod and when the iPad came out they went crazy over it. One going so far as to trade in her laptop to get the money for one >.<.

I agree 100% I to have BIG money constraints also, I brought my SSD with tax return money last year. But your original comment did not come over as being based on your income. In any event IMHO SSD will never be as cheap as conventional platter drives, when taking into account the large size of conventional Hdd's V price per gig of space on them.

But with the performance boost I got from SSD I considered it to be a good investment. :)

Edited by bowiee