Sign in to follow this  
Pimps_2000

New Dental surgery computers

i purchased my file server computer i7 960 with an asus p6t mother board. ive installed win 7 pro on the server..

the dam system set up is unstable.ive sent the computer to be checked by the comp technicians and they say its a software issue.

the computer works fine but every 2-3 hours it will freeze and then ive me a blue screen of death.

I wanted to use win 7 to be 64 bit and use the Over 6gigs of ram. but nowim thinking maybe back to win xp.

any help.. or i could change mother board or is just win 7 is unstable.

The server itself is used ina dental surgery so all patient data and files are on it IT MUST BE RELIABLE.

any help would be appreciated.

nathan

A bit more info on you PC specs would be handy, VGA, PSU, RAM and HDD etc...

The BSOD message will be important in determining the issue, but to me it sounds like either a graphics overheating and/or memory issue....both being connected to the southbridge. Is the southbridge metal cover too hot to the touch?

Check the PC's position (ie. a dental surgery...is it under a desk in a shelf enclosure with little airflow), and also check the fans/vents, to see if airflow is restricted.

I doubt it would be a W7 issue as its stable as a rock, nor would it be a 64/32 bit compatibility issue, as it wouldn't run for 2-3hours fine then quit...iit would just not run the software fullstop.

Edited by Antraman

i purchased my file server computer i7 960 with an asus p6t mother board. ive installed win 7 pro on the server..

the dam system set up is unstable.ive sent the computer to be checked by the comp technicians and they say its a software issue.

the computer works fine but every 2-3 hours it will freeze and then ive me a blue screen of death.

I wanted to use win 7 to be 64 bit and use the Over 6gigs of ram. but nowim thinking maybe back to win xp.

any help.. or i could change mother board or is just win 7 is unstable.

The server itself is used ina dental surgery so all patient data and files are on it IT MUST BE RELIABLE.

any help would be appreciated.

nathan

1: Why did you use win 7 as your "server"

2: Did you build this yourself or did you pay someone to do do it?

3: Why not get a Real server?

4: Why don't you pay someone to manage it?

5: Why did you buy a i7 960 to be used in a file server?

Edited by mudg3

I was told by a tech friend of mine that as its only sharing some files and graphics data between Computers a full server isnt requried. he also said getting server 2008 not necessay as win 7 can handle up to 10 Comps in the network.

i built the cpu my self.

as above

Ive got a friend who can help me.. but he has just had a baby kid so i dont want to over burden him yet.

Im a gamer and lover of compouters i want to learn how to manage it.

WEll that all this computer does. The server just sends out files patient databases and graphics.. For my server i wanted a beast of a machine not some pussy computer,

when i go home i will have a look at what the blue screen of death says. i do remember it saying "dumping Memory" and seeing a percentage thing go up or down...

And the southbridge cover.... i dont actually look into the computer case when its on... but i ll turn it on for awhile then off and touch it..

some of the specs of the computer: Gforce 250 GTS. 6 gigs of ram, 1 gig of hddd. the system was pruchased from msy. Ill go home tonight and do some home work.

thanks for the help guys :)

I was told by a tech friend of mine that as its only sharing some files and graphics data between Computers a full server isnt requried. he also said getting server 2008 not necessay as win 7 can handle up to 10 Comps in the network.

i built the cpu my self.

as above

Ive got a friend who can help me.. but he has just had a baby kid so i dont want to over burden him yet.

Im a gamer and lover of compouters i want to learn how to manage it.

WEll that all this computer does. The server just sends out files patient databases and graphics.. For my server i wanted a beast of a machine not some pussy computer,

when i go home i will have a look at what the blue screen of death says. i do remember it saying "dumping Memory" and seeing a percentage thing go up or down...

And the southbridge cover.... i dont actually look into the computer case when its on... but i ll turn it on for awhile then off and touch it..

some of the specs of the computer: Gforce 250 GTS. 6 gigs of ram, 1 gig of hddd. the system was pruchased from msy. Ill go home tonight and do some home work.

I just don't know what to say all I want to do is bash my head on my desk.

1. Your tech friend dosent support business's with their IT needs does he? If he does he shouldn't have a job

2. Yes I built the "CPU" myself too! Gratz on the lego skillz

3. Sense makes non.

4. Strong word of advice if you don't want to have issues in the future, If you have a strong passion for this dont take the risk on a business go learn about it some place else instead of wasting time and money. You dealing with high security records here and its going to be your head on the chopping block because you didn't know what your doing.

As I said before pay a professional to do it! They have knowledge and experience and know how to put CPUZ together too! They do it all day every day and they are liable if you have a service contract if something goes wrong!

5. CPU is OP for just being a file server. It doesn't need to play crysis to hand out PDF documents . WTF do you have a GTS250 for just VGA? Is someone using the PC for general use?

Do you work at the dentist?

Edited by mudg3

I have to agree with mudg3.

That PC is way over-spec'ed for a server that only handles less than 10 clients.

My advice would be to hire a professional.

But if you really want to fix this problem yourself I would first take out that GTS250 and some of that ram.

It does not require a dedicated graphics card that is that powerful and it does not need 6GB of ram.

I have to agree with mudg3.

That PC is way over-spec'ed for a server that only handles less than 10 clients.

My advice would be to hire a professional.

But if you really want to fix this problem yourself I would first take out that GTS250 and some of that ram.

It does not require a dedicated graphics card that is that powerful and it does not need 6GB of ram.

X58 doesn't have onboard graphics though if you need to plug a screen in.

+100 to all mudg3 said ! You must do this right, as you stated this is for patients records so it must be handled right or it could end up costing you everything. It must also have at least 2 redundant backups for your files, I to have no idea why you wasted so much money on what is just a server. (I would never recommend such specs to a client for a server)

Having said that as mudg3 said, don't do it half arsed get a professional it will be cheaper and safer in the long run.

If you must continue and you want to read the info on the blue screen to stop your machine from rebooting upon error do this, click on start, then right click on my comp, properties, then click on "Advanced system settings", Then the "Advanced tab" then under"Start up and recovery" click "settings" under "system failure" untick "automatically restart" then ok/apply click your way out of the windows.

Then post what it says here so we can help with the error.

Not much to add to what has already been said. Nothing wrong with wanting to learn how to manage such things yourself, but mission-critical systems that must securely hold confidential information isn't really the place to be doing it.

What sort of backup solutions are you using for the files?

non. If there will be any it will be a simple copy and paste considering the OP

To OP I don't mean to be an Asshole but its the honest truth I used to make my living coming into situations like this and fixing them. Most common of my clients being doctors and dentists who had the dodgiest set-ups known to man.

Take the computer home and make it your new gaming machine or something. Your going to want to get a cheaper HP/Dell server with a 4 to 24 hour onsite warranty for repairs if anything to happen and call your local PC shops enquiring about there small business prices. You can have someone come in quote you for what it will cost to have everything done properly including back up solutions after house maintenance becuase there is no fucking way I would be wanting to rely on someone who is also relying on their mate who's just had a kid to be looking after mission critical data.

If you want advice you've come to the right place.

For that sort of stuff, a bunch of el cheapos for clients and a decent server like mudg says.

Good internet connection for off site back up.........files take up bugger all space, and away you go.

Would you like to hire a consultant?

Because it sounds like you're in waaaay over your head.

Lots of high tech server storage there. It's even got an extra D for more performance.

Sounds like you're offering brains?

I'm pretty sure I've built a fileserver before.

Yeah I meant being his consultant.

OK, trying to avoid all the people who say ask someone else...

Why did "the comp technicians... say its a software issue"?

They don't know what they are doing..

Best solution is run prime 95 until you get the BSOD and to disable automatic restart on system failure. Or try to make the BSOD occur yourself.

Why do people still use prime 95?

Better off using intel burn test.

Will find problems much quicker.

Becuase its proven and it works for me. Intel Burn is test is good too. LinX is great to for finding stability issues aswell. Same shit different smell.

Because you've jumped from CPU & graphics being impractical (which they are) and concluded that therefore the issue is CPU related, THEY don't know what they're doing even though you have no idea what they did?

Right.

I'm not saying they do or don't know what they're doing, but I'm not arrogant enough to assume it. Evidence, bitches. It's how you diagnose.

Hmm looking at the OP the service people claim it is a software problem, then the OP goes on to suggest that it is windows 7 that is unstable (among other things)

"or is just win 7 is unstable."

. So if it is a software problem it is likely to be video card drivers, or perhaps some program that he has installed that wont play nice with win 7, rather than win 7 itself. If he can post the info from the blue screen we will know more.

Either way the general consensus that he should hand over such a mission critical system to an expert still stands IMHO. :)

Edited by bowiee

Because you've jumped from CPU & graphics being impractical (which they are) and concluded that therefore the issue is CPU related, THEY don't know what they're doing even though you have no idea what they did?

Right.

I'm not saying they do or don't know what they're doing, but I'm not arrogant enough to assume it. Evidence, bitches. It's how you diagnose.

I never said it wasn't software, But they couldn't give him a specific reason of what software it "was". Where is that listed? And if they found what it was why didn't they remove it? I totally agree with you but "WE" have no fucking idea what they did nor have they fixed the issue so we have to go from the start and considering OP dosent really know what hes doing it could have been something he did whilst building or playing around with the PC.

Solution he posts more!