Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Blackorchad

Stargazing

I'm heading to Girraween (northern NSW) in about a weeks time for a camping trip

I figure while i'm going, to a place that has -hopefully- no light pollution, that i'll take my telescope with me.

The difficulty i have with this is, i have no idea where/what interesting stuff i should be looking for, nor what time to look for these things.

Has any one got any experience with stargazing or perhaps a website which can tell me where to point the telescope, at what time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks

Edited by Blackorchad

Where to look: Up.

When: When it gets dark.

Pro tip: Enjoy the show, the night sky is truly a wondrous sight out in the boonies.

Has any one got any experience with stargazing or perhaps a website which can tell me where to point the telescope, at what time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks

http://www.aoe.com.au/begginers_guide.html

I just typed 'stargazing' into Google.

I'm sure if you used 'astronomy' instead of 'stargazing' you'd get more, and better, results.

You will need a few essential tools

- star chart based on the time you will be going

- deepsky / star atlas

this will help you in getting your head around the skies

prior to your trip, download the free atlas, stellarium and do a bit of studying.

What I would suggest is do a search for messier/Ngc/ic objects within a certain visual magnatude.

Other than that, have fun and good luck

rob

Pro tip: Enjoy the show, the night sky is truly a wondrous sight out in the boonies.

Damn you 1shot, you beat me to it!

pretty much this, then let your imagination run wild with thoughts on how long it will take mankind to reach those stars and with what FTL drives and what design spaceship... oh im doing it now lol.

pretty much this, then let your imagination run wild with thoughts on how long it will take mankind to reach those stars and with what FTL drives and what design spaceship... oh im doing it now lol.

But what if those stars aren't there?

Try having a look at the Moon, that's easy to find.

Also, the inner planets (compared to Earth), Mercury and Venus, circle the Sun. We knew that - but the interesting part is that the Earth circles the Sun, and because it's further away, it also circles the orbits of Mercury and Venus.

This means those two planets can usually be found in the vicinity of the Sun. During and just after sunset, have look at the stars near where the Sun went down, that have orbits in line with the Suns "arc". These may well be Venus and Mercury.

true but we have to asume a good percentage are, if I were an explorer though I would explore our closest systems first.

Depends on your scope.

The size of your scope will determine what you should be looking for.

But for easy targets there are quiet a few globular clusters and some nice star forming regions around Scorpio and Sagittarius. Scorpio is directly overhead in winter, and is one of the easiest constellations to make out. Most of the clusters should be easy to spot even with the naked eye as fuzzy blobs of stars.

I would say grab stellarium (freeware) and have a look at what's up and where it is in the sky.

Your best bet might be laying back in the ground, looking up and then when you find something you want to look at closer, going to the scope. If it's truly dark skies, you will be amazed at how bright the milky way can be. That might not be the case, as you will be going out around the full moon. That bastard is bright and you will find rather than darkness, you can see easily around at night.

Um I assume you mean Girraween QLD, not Girraween NSW. Girraween NSW would have shithouse skies.

Edited by ArcaneMagik

true but we have to asume a good percentage are
Uhhh....We don't have to assume that at all.

true but we have to asume a good percentage are
Uhhh....We don't have to assume that at all.

Pretty much none of them are.

Ive shot Eta Carina off my fixed tripod and camera + lens from my backyard in northern NSW, short, single exposure, there is very little light pollution in this area.

I cant say for specifically Girraween though.

Ive shot Eta Carina off my fixed tripod and camera + lens from my backyard in northern NSW, short, single exposure, there is very little light pollution in this area.

Is it as nice as this photo?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...bula_by_ESO.jpg

Edited by iamthemaxx
Ridonkulous embedded image size!

Pretty much none of them are.

what, no stars are there?

Not where they appear to be, no.

Jesus! Please resize the image. That's ~8000x8000 :P

No, it's not :P

It's a fixed tripod, with a f/3.5 lens.

I'd need a much more massive focal length for that, and a stable tracking platform.

Here's mine

Posted Image

Edited by Athiril

Have you got something with a little more detail ?

Edited by iamthemaxx

Have you got something with a little more detail ?

What a crumby jpeg.

I've taken better with my eeepc webcam!

Edited by iamthemaxx