Sign in to follow this  
nipples

Gigabyte GA-x58a-ud3r Fails to post

Hello,

I am having some troubles getting a Gigabyte motherboard to post (or do anything really).

The Story:

I purchased the motherboard via a website and had it sent to my house (as you do) when it arrived I immediately went about building the system (I had purchased the rest of the system elsewhere). After completion the computer failed to do anything once the power button was pressed (this includes emitting no noise through the PC speaker, all that happens is some lights turn on on the motherboard which according to the manual relate to the northbridge's load), after testing with various combinations of parts and still nothing happening it was decided that the motherboard was the broken component.

I sent the motherboard back to the supplier the next day under a warranty claim (I had only had it for one day), I got a email 3 days later saying some of the CPU pins had been bent thus my warranty was void so I must pay postage to get it back. After getting the motherboard back I inspected the CPU socket and located the 2 bent pins, they had been lifted up (away from the base of the motherboard and bent over 2 other pins, one thing that seems odd is how could this have happened by accident, surely more than 2 pins would have been bent and their location would have been different, the pins themselves were away from an edge and in line towards the centre (picture below)). Under the advice from the supplier I bent the pins back into place so that the tip of each pin makes a square with each group of 4 pins.

Upon testing the motherboard again it still doesn't work, the same problem occurs (all that happens is some lights turn on on the motherboard which according to the manual relate to the northbridge's load) even with every component disconnected the mother board still does it. There is no noise through the PC speaker so the motherboard is definitely broken and it is not due to the bent CPU pins.

The Question:

Is there anyway I can determine exactly what part of the motherboard is not functional?

Also am I in the right when requesting a refund? (according to the dept of fair trading rules I feel like I am)

Kind Regards,

Nipples

TL;DR

I have a brand new broken motherboard and I am wondering what to do.

The bent CPU pins:

Posted Image

haha thanks cpt obvious, you can go back to obvious-ville now :p

Show a little respect Quark! Or I will have Odo confine you to a holding cell.

Hello,

I am having some troubles getting a Gigabyte motherboard to post (or do anything really).

The Story:

I purchased the motherboard via a website and had it sent to my house (as you do) when it arrived I immediately went about building the system (I had purchased the rest of the system elsewhere). After completion the computer failed to do anything once the power button was pressed (this includes emitting no noise through the PC speaker, all that happens is some lights turn on on the motherboard which according to the manual relate to the northbridge's load), after testing with various combinations of parts and still nothing happening it was decided that the motherboard was the broken component.

I sent the motherboard back to the supplier the next day under a warranty claim (I had only had it for one day), I got a email 3 days later saying some of the CPU pins had been bent thus my warranty was void so I must pay postage to get it back. After getting the motherboard back I inspected the CPU socket and located the 2 bent pins, they had been lifted up (away from the base of the motherboard and bent over 2 other pins, one thing that seems odd is how could this have happened by accident, surely more than 2 pins would have been bent and their location would have been different, the pins themselves were away from an edge and in line towards the centre (picture below)). Under the advice from the supplier I bent the pins back into place so that the tip of each pin makes a square with each group of 4 pins.

I have a brand new broken motherboard and I am wondering what to do.

Well if they won't replace it... I'm not sure what you could do. It's very hard to prove who is at fault. Some businesses will replace it and try to get a replacement themselves through their supplier. I guess if you just try and explain very calmly and politely to the manager or whoever and try to get a swap.

This is why I prefer my pins on the CPU... they're much easier to protect that way. Never really enjoyed dropping a CPU onto pins.

Thank you for the info, I will be calling them again tomorrow.

You'll find that it will cost about $50 to fix.

ive had bent pins like that unfortunately due to this type of socket and used a small needle to carefully bend them back to place...or close enough and the board worked after that........

you just need a steady hand for this one and you should be right if the pins are causing the issue........if you are faced with a socket fix/replacement fee of some kind i guess it might be worth giving that a go first

If the board was supplied to you faulty then its part of the trade practices act that they are liable to at least replace it with one of merchantable quality.

If the board was supplied to you faulty then its part of the trade practices act that they are liable to at least replace it with one of merchantable quality.

Thing is, Is that they cant prove he didnt do that to his board.

I've run into the same thing with boards before when they have been purchased like that but we cant prove that we didnt do it.

We ended up sucking it up and paying for it to be fixed.

We just stopping buying gigabyte too :)

I've had a faulty board sent back to me saying it was fixed but still had the same problem.

Upon the second return, they replaced it.

The time wasted pissed me off the most.

In the meantime I bought another one and sold the replacement to someone else when it turned up.

Edited by LogicprObe

Thing is, Is that they cant prove he didnt do that to his board.

I've run into the same thing with boards before when they have been purchased like that but we cant prove that we didnt do it.

We ended up sucking it up and paying for it to be fixed.

We just stopping buying gigabyte too :)

See thats the thing though. consumers are always going to try and scam a business but alot of people are also genuine, if it was me personally I would offer the customer a replacement or store credit.

It looks fixable though from the picture.

Edited by nesquick