Sign in to follow this  
mobon

overclocking amd x2 255 problems

trying to push this thing a bit and im only getting upto about 3.3 ghz before i get a message on post telling me that its booting in safe mode unless i reset the bios , it will boot but then run at stock speeds ..... im reading people getting major overclocks on these things so i just need to get past this little hurdle ... maybe its an option in bios but i cant find it .... also shitty bios doesnt let me adjust vcore but that shouldnt need to be upped for a while yet.

gigabyte M61SME-S2L latest bios.

been reading this http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1200/11/ ... i think having no voltage options is the killer for me.

Edited by mobon

Hmmm, this looks like the kind of board that you can't really do much with

Not sure if you'll be able to overclock with it. I'd try using EasyTune, as it's supposedly supported

You may have been able to do it with your old 64 X2, but maybe not with your II X2

Just looking at the specs of it, I don't think you'll be able to do much with it

Its supports only PCIe 1.0 8x, and it only runs your Hypertransport bus at HT1.0

(Note) If you install AMD AM2+ CPU on AM2 motherbord, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0(5200MHz) to HT1.0(2000 MT/s) spec; however, the frequency of AM2+ CPU will not be impacted. Please refer "CPU Support List" for more information.

I wouldn't even try overclocking it to be honest. I'd leave it at stock, as those things are pretty quick at stock

he's getting it to 3.3ghz which is fairly decent, but i had a similar board like this one that wouldnt overclock for crap. so 3.3 may be the highest stable overclock. the board probably cannot sustain a higher FSB push anyway.

so if you get 3.3 on that board, i'd be very happy with that. and really dude you're not missing out on much, i got my ii240 to 3.6ghz on stock volts and that's as far as i want or need it to go.

he's getting it to 3.3ghz which is fairly decent, but i had a similar board like this one that wouldnt overclock for crap. so 3.3 may be the highest stable overclock. the board probably cannot sustain a higher FSB push anyway.

so if you get 3.3 on that board, i'd be very happy with that. and really dude you're not missing out on much, i got my ii240 to 3.6ghz on stock volts and that's as far as i want or need it to go.

yeh youre right , i do notice a nice performance increase over the old 6000 so ill be happy with what ive got, cheers for the input guys.

try undervolting as you overclock, might be an issue with the amount of power it can deliver.

bios has no adjustable voltage options!

ok ive managed to get close too 3.5ghz by lowering the HT link to 4x instead of auto and lowering the ram too 667mhz ... not sure how much of an impact lowering the ram speed and HT link will have though and if its worth it for an extra 200mhz on the core.

im sure i could get higher once i start playing with the multiplier , its on 15.5 atm ( stock ) so ill get the calculator out at somepoint and have a bit more of a play.

It shouldn't have that much of an impact. If you're not sure, run the CPU at stock speeds and see what you get. Then overclock the HTT but maintain a similar CPU speed as the stock run. Run Super PI and that should tell you.

You tend to get more HTT by lowering the multiplier to be honest. I did that trick with the Phenom 9500 I had. Notoriously hard to overclock so I resorted to the HTT to ramp it up. Ended up with a decent 255 x 10. You made sure you overvolted the NB voltage and as well as the SB voltage as that can have an effect on the overclock.