Sign in to follow this  
Mills

Help me buy some good parts

Thanks nesquick. I went to PLE computers and thats what they told me. Then found it on their website as well (http://ple.com.au/?p=snapshot&inventory_id=1231). They said the reccomend it on the site but that's different to what I was told instore.

Just thikning now I may consider another 5870 down the track but I dunno cause I doubt the price will change much unless I get it off ebay or something.

Hey Millsy,

I just seached for best prices in Perth (asume your in perth becasue you mentioned PLE computers), MSY is defenatly the cheepest but they dont have Corsair HX-650W in stock, your looking at over 20 odd dollars plus else where. I looked at Austins, PLE, Foxcomp and Netplus.

I cheaked MSY site and they should have these parts in store.

CPU:$359 i7-870

Mobo:$172 P55A-UD3R

RAM:$135 4GB 1600 G.SKill Ripjaws

GFX:$473 HIS 1GB HD5870

PSU:$135 Seasonic S12II-620W 80Plus Bronze

Total:$1274

If you dont know where it is its on Wanneroo Road neer Reid Hwy, Balcatta. Its directly across the road from that vietmese Church.

I honestly think when you're looking at spending that much on the mobo, cpu and ram, hes better off spending the extra hundred or so to go 1366 rather than 1156...just my opinion though.

The 930 is cheaper than the 870 :o

The 870 will be faster for most things not memory bandwidth hungry, it has a much better turbo mode to.

Edited by nesquick

He's also looking at adding a second 5870 down the track, which also makes me point towards going X58, but as I said, just my personal opinion.

You guys are right, it would only cost an extra $159 more for i7-930,X58 mobo & 6GB RAM.

CPU: $352 i7-930

Mobo: $261 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

RAM: $212 Patriot Signature 6GB Kit DDR3 1600

GFX: $473 HIS 1GB HD5870

PSU: $135 Seasonic S12II-620W 80Plus Bronze

Total: $1433

If he is looking at adding a second 5870, I'd be looking at going for a bit more than 620w, just to be safe.

I reckon for most high end builds 750w is the lowest I would personally go. PSU's tend to last quite some time, so paying an extra 50-100 bucks for an extra 200 or so watts (in most cases) isn't exactly a waste of money if you carry the PSU through to the next build.

IMO, waste of money getting 2x HD5870s, by the time you think you might need 2 of them, you'll want to get A "HD8850 XXX edition" or what ever they call it in the future :D Unless of coarse you have 30" dells running demanding games at highest resolutions and these monitors cost what...3K each?

And if you where to go dual graphics cards get them both strait away, in that case maybe 2xGTX460's or 2xHD5850. Personally I think its a waste of money and you'll need a higher wattage PSU too. $$$$$$$

I made they mistake myself (being a bit noobish at the time) getting a 750W PSU for my own rig. Thinking I might need it in future builds.

For the build sugested above 620W is more than fine yeah?

Yea, right now dual 5870s probably isn't that great a choice. Considering that northern islands (6xxx series) is just around the corner, spending $900 on 2 GPUs with about the performance of one of the new GPUs (assuming the 6xxx series perform well) and without all the new features of the new series might have seems a bit stupid. Best choice atm is to buy a single 5870 for some nice performance and then later on buy a new card as opposed to a second one.

Considering that the 4870 performs about the same as a 5770 we can hope for roughly the same thing to happen with the new cards. In which case a 6870 or 6850 would probably be awesome.

Edited by raxo55

Yea, right now dual 5870s probably isn't that great a choice. Considering that northern islands (6xxx series) is just around the corner, spending $900 on 2 GPUs with about the performance of one of the new GPUs (assuming the 6xxx series perform well) and without all the new features of the new series might have seems a bit stupid. Best choice atm is to buy a single 5870 for some nice performance and then later on buy a new card as opposed to a second one.

Considering that the 4870 performs about the same as a 5770 we can hope for roughly the same thing to happen with the new cards. In which case a 6870 or 6850 would probably be awesome.

Very doubtful, most people are saying they will just be a minor upgrade over the current 5xxx lineup (I've noticed a lack of a 5890 type card, have you?)

As for dual 5870s being too powerful, bullshit.

I guarantee a 5870 will still struggle in a fair few games at 1080p.Hell, an overclocked 5850 does.

It all comes down to how people prefer to play their games.

If Mills is happy to play at around 30-60fps in most high end games, so be it, if he wants to play at 60fps or higher constant, then thats what 2 5870s are for.

You guys need to remember that in most cases the extra frames a second card will give you are entirely worth it. And having 2 is never overkill, why would he want to go through the trouble upgrading to another card in 6 months when he could get his cards now and keep them for 12-24 months without feeling the need to change them?

So much conservative advice given on these forums, everyone is trying to save a buck, thinking that games are advancing at the same rate they were 5 years ago, they aren't Half of them are at the same stage they were 5 years ago as far as graphics are concerned.

Unless the 6xxx series cards are bringing something new to table at the end of the year, then what should be his motivation to use a $450 card as a stopgap upgrade? Get a grip, if he wants a complete system now, let him get a complete system.

Gone are the days where new tech thats twice as fast as its predecessor is being released, I bet all the people who bought i7 920s on release are laughing at most people who decided to wait for the next good thing, it still hasn't come (at consumer prices, the 980x is $1400)

Unless there is some unheard of tech revolution coming in the next few months, there is no reason mills shouldn't grab 2 5870s now. He won't regret it.

I made they mistake myself (being a bit noobish at the time) getting a 750W PSU for my own rig. Thinking I might need it in future builds.

For the build sugested above 620W is more than fine yeah?

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Why try to save $20 on getting a lower wattage psu when you can carry the higher wattage psu over to future builds?

PSUs are one of the constants in computing so far.

I can understand not spending $350 on a 1000w psu when its not needed, but saying "save some money, buy a 620w instead of a 750w" verges on idiocy imo.

They're not that expensive and out of all the components in a pc, the PSU will most likely see the most use and assuming the connectors stay the same for the next 5 years, a 750w psu could be used for 5 builds over that time.

IMO, waste of money getting 2x HD5870s, by the time you think you might need 2 of them, you'll want to get A "HD8850 XXX edition" or what ever they call it in the future :D Unless of coarse you have 30" dells running demanding games at highest resolutions and these monitors cost what...3K each?

2 standard 5870's would struggle at those kinds of resolutions, you would want at least ~1.5gb of vram per core for 2 30" dells ;) which means GTX480's or HD5870 eyfinity 6 editions. Edited by nesquick

I could'nt disagree more. First you say he should spend an extra $160 for an i7-930/6GB set up (ok no worries there, probably good advise) Then you advocate he spend another $600 or so for another graphics card and PSU upgrade. Basically your giving advise on spending $760 more than he needs to.

Im telling you strait, one graphics card is all you need. And 6 months is worst case senario, it should last atleast 1 to 2 years. My 8800gt lasted 2 years.

Following your advise , instead of spending ~$1200-$1400 on a perfectly adiquate upgrade, he should spend a whopping grand total of around $2030. (I can build an entire rig, monitor, keyboard and mouse for that)

My advise, save the $600 and use it on a new graphics card for future upgrades.(more likely in 1 year and upto 2 years time, not this 6 months crap being banded around)

I could'nt disagree more. First you say he should spend an extra $160 for an i7-930/6GB set up (ok no worries there, probably good advise) Then you advocate he spend another $600 or so for another graphics card and PSU upgrade. Basically your giving advise on spending $760 more than he needs to.

Im telling you strait, one graphics card is all you need. And 6 months is worst case senario, it should last atleast 1 to 2 years. My 8800gt lasted 2 years.

Following your advise , instead of spending ~$1200-$1400 on a perfectly adiquate upgrade, he should spend a whopping grand total of around $2030. (I can build an entire rig, monitor, keyboard and mouse for that)

My advise, save the $600 and use it on a new graphics card for future upgrades.(more likely in 1 year and upto 2 years time, not this 6 months crap being banded around)

disagree with me or Nukey?

All he needs or all you need?

Because those are both different things.

You may enjoy playing your games at framerates varying from 20-60, good on you. Others don't.

You may like to play games with no AA or AF. Others don't.

How do you feel more qualified to give advice on such things than me or anyone else? What makes your opinion so right and mine so wrong?

If he says he wants to add another 5870 down the track, atleast give him some good advice and reasons why he shouldn't rather than saying "A single 5870 is enough" because for people looking to play their games the best way possible, spending the extra money to get dual cards is worth it.

I only ever mentioned the 1366 platform because he mentioned dual cards, the i7 870 is perfectly adequate (And I believe better in 99% of cases) when it comes to CPU tasks, but the lack of dual x16 pci-e 2.0 lanes on the P55 chipset is something that alot of people overlook when building, they just see that its $150 or so cheaper to buy 1156.

The price premium isn't that much more.

My philosophy is this; If you need to spend extra money now to get a longer life out of your components, do it.

You might spend $1400 on an 1156 cpu/mobo now and save yourself $150 at the time, but when you want to upgrade to something in the near future that your stuff doesn't support anymore when the more expensive option would (bear in mind, this is hypothetical) then you're going to end up spending more money than you need to in the long run anyway.

I'm not telling him to go out right now and buy a 5870, but I'm leaving the option open for him. He, like many others, may find the 5870 just isn't fast enough to pump out 60fps constant with aa and af in the games he wants to play. The solution? Crossfire.

Very doubtful, most people are saying they will just be a minor upgrade over the current 5xxx lineup (I've noticed a lack of a 5890 type card, have you?)

As for dual 5870s being too powerful, bullshit.

I guarantee a 5870 will still struggle in a fair few games at 1080p.Hell, an overclocked 5850 does.

It all comes down to how people prefer to play their games.

If Mills is happy to play at around 30-60fps in most high end games, so be it, if he wants to play at 60fps or higher constant, then thats what 2 5870s are for.

You guys need to remember that in most cases the extra frames a second card will give you are entirely worth it. And having 2 is never overkill, why would he want to go through the trouble upgrading to another card in 6 months when he could get his cards now and keep them for 12-24 months without feeling the need to change them?

So much conservative advice given on these forums, everyone is trying to save a buck, thinking that games are advancing at the same rate they were 5 years ago, they aren't Half of them are at the same stage they were 5 years ago as far as graphics are concerned.

Unless the 6xxx series cards are bringing something new to table at the end of the year, then what should be his motivation to use a $450 card as a stopgap upgrade? Get a grip, if he wants a complete system now, let him get a complete system.

Gone are the days where new tech thats twice as fast as its predecessor is being released, I bet all the people who bought i7 920s on release are laughing at most people who decided to wait for the next good thing, it still hasn't come (at consumer prices, the 980x is $1400)

Unless there is some unheard of tech revolution coming in the next few months, there is no reason mills shouldn't grab 2 5870s now. He won't regret it.

fair enough. I'm going on what I have heard about these things, not personal experience which I suppose you are. For me, my 5770 seems to run most things I need it to at medium - high settings with a little AA turned on. As you said, if it matters to mills that he might not end up with anything above 30-60 fps then yes, go with the Crossfired cards, but if he doesn't really mind, go ahead and save the extra $500 on another 5870. That's what I would be doing.

again, i'm not particularly sure on whether or not the 6xxx will be that much of a boost and no where did I say that the 5870 should be a stop gap card. If it was my money/build I would buy one, wait a year and a bit and then maybe consider getting the next series of cards, but you do have to consider my position. I don't own a 1080p monitor (1680x1050), I don't really mind when my games are running lower than 60, even though AA is nice, I can live without it, and I'm not currently employed.

If it was my build, I would definitely be buying one, because for me to get the extra $450 it would take a lot longer than most people. I probably do make the mistake of thinking for myself more than others, but I don't think I don't have a point. As mills said in the OP he is only looking to spend $1500 on parts, including a gpu, motherboard ram and a cpu. Why would he spend $900 on the GPU's and leave $600 for the rest. Considering that he would probably want to run X58 for crossfire $600 is not that much to work with.

No where did I say that dual 5870s would be too powerful. If he did buy them he would get a fantastic level of performance out of them, I was simply saying that I didn't believe it was worth spending $900 on Graphics cards when the new ones are pretty soon going to be released.

If mills wants the performance of those, he can go ahead. I wouldn't recommend them though.

You probably do know better than me though, lol.

Best choice atm is to buy a single 5870 for some nice performance and then later on buy a new card as opposed to a second one.

(Paraphrased)

I may have missed what you actually meant, but it came across as if you were telling him to buy a single 5870 now and then buy a 6xxx card later on down the track.

Mills himself stated he would be interested in getting a 2nd 5870 somewhere in the near future, so by no means am I just suggesting it for the sake of it.

fair enough. I'm going on what I have heard about these things, not personal experience which I suppose you are. For me, my 5770 seems to run most things I need it to at medium - high settings with a little AA turned on. As you said, if it matters to mills that he might not end up with anything above 30-60 fps then yes, go with the Crossfired cards, but if he doesn't really mind, go ahead and save the extra $500 on another 5870. That's what I would be doing.

See thats the problem, people say oh yea it plays well, medium-high specs with a little AA is not playing it well.

to play a game well you need:

1. min 60fps constant.

2. min 4XAA and 16xAF depending on your screen size.

3. maximum details

4. Enough power to do that easily (ie like 120fps without vsync) as games will only get more demanding.

Edited by nesquick

I didn't say that?

I said that it does all that I feel that it needs to for me at medium to high settings with some AA turned on. I don't really care that much about the FPS being above like 40 or so, just that when it is I feel good about my hardware. Really for me 40-50 is fine.

There are alot of games out there that a single 5870 will struggle on and believe it or not a few of them make it worth getting a 2nd gpu.

Metro (not really worth it, though there are worse games....just dont ask nesquick about it :P), Stalker Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat, Crysis, Just Cause 2, Chronicles of Riddick Assault on Dark Athena to name a few, will push alot of systems to their knees quite easily when you're running with full details @ high res with AA.

yea don't get me started on metro 2033.

I can't run BC2 at max details at 2560x1440 or even TES:oblivion with a HD5850

Edited by nesquick

Metro 2033 is an artistic masterpiece; I've never actually quit a game before due to sheer mental malaise. Seriously; 'Former Soviet Republic' games are just fucking depressing.

1 HD5870 card + crysis + 1900x1200 res + max/highest settings = 35.86 Ave Frame rate = dont need 2 x hd5870's unless needing 60fps at all times and nothing but everything maxed out and nothing less.

It's most likely Mill's will be gaming @ no more than 1920x1080 resolutions.

Any way I don't care for this argument anymore, if he wants 2 graphics cards get 2. Not like its my money being wasted.

Id rather spend $450 on a 27 inch monitor....oh I have already :D and my hd5850 is awsome and I will upgrade it when I feel my system is lagging which its not ATM.

I agree from experience that you can play Metro 2033 at graphics settings that look essentially as good as is possible with fast quad + single O/C'd 5870.

I do disagree as to why you'd want to, but it is possible.