Sign in to follow this  
Mills

Help me buy some good parts

1 HD5870 card + crysis + 1900x1200 res + max/highest settings = 35.86 Ave Frame rate = dont need 2 x hd5870's unless needing 60fps at all times and nothing but everything maxed out and nothing less.

It's most likely Mill's will be gaming @ no more than 1920x1080 resolutions.

Any way I don't care for this argument anymore, if he wants 2 graphics cards get 2. Not like its my money being wasted.

Id rather spend $450 on a 27 inch monitor....oh I have already :D and my hd5850 is awsome and I will upgrade it when I feel my system is lagging which its not ATM.

My 4870x2 got 35fps average in the benches, didn't mean it was playable though. The minimum was around 19fps with the max at around 50. Hardly what most people would call playable.

The minimum fps for the 5870 was 16.

Just my 2 cents worth

LGA 1156 CPU's are quite good, but the platform is soon to be replaced (with 1155) and SLI and Crossfire isn't great

LGA 1366 CPU's are really good (and that's coming from an AMD guy), SLI and Crossfire works at full 16x + 16x, and the platform looks (time will tell) to have a longer life

If I were in your situation, and I had to go Intel, it'd be LGA 1366 any day. I'd never buy a platform that already has a used by date on it of only a few months (they still may make bits and pieces for it, but it's just like 775 now, you can still build a new PC with them, but why would you?)

And I agree with with Nukejockey's last statement. In numerous games, you get quite high averages and maximums, but the minimum is what counts

You can't really tell (I can't :p) the difference of a maximum of 150 FPS and 120 FPS, but you can tell the difference between a minimum of 40 FPS and 20 FPS (I think 25-30FPS is the "line")

What graphics card you choose Mills, depends on what games you play (and the settings you want), and if you will be upgrading it any time soon. A HD 5870 may be adequate, but if you don't want to upgrade and want playable frames now, Crossfire

So for graphics, a single HD 5870 now, and if you'd like slot in another when needed

Hope that was of some help, on what is a heated topic

Well your right then, if Mill's does intend to purchase 2 HD5870's he will need to get a 750 or 850 watt PSU? And fork out an aditional $800 ontop of his original build in his OP which I priced at about $1200.

Looking at that benchmark it was chewing up about 300watts just with the single card.

I dont mean to be argumentative, I know we all have the best interests in sugesting a good build.

That crysis test was 1900x1200 everything maxed out. Most if not all mainstream 24-27 inch wide screen monitors max at 1920x1080 and personally you don't need every setting absolutly maxed out on very high. So your going to get better results than a min of 20FPS and average of 35FPS in game.

You will still find that most demanding games are still very much playable with just one graphics card. I know this for a fact and I only run a dual core CPU/4GB/HD5850/27"1080p.

I guess what im saying is if you got the cash, then spend over $2000 on CPU/Mobo/6GB RAM/2xGFX/750W PSU.

Other wise $1450 will still get you a very nice system.

Either way your still going to want to get the latest price/performance GPU in 1 to 2 years time. I feel with this in mind the single GFX builds make better economic sence.

I really dont like people putting fear into peoples builds tho, saying you must have 2 graphics cards or you will not enjoy your gaming experience. Thats just crap.

If you're gonna run vms and doing lots of multi-tasking then I'd suggest the 1366 route with as much ram as you can afford as that'll give you lots of bandwidth to play with, I'm not sure if 6gb is sufficient enough to run 6 vms though so it might be worth stretching for a 12gb kit.

Well your right then, if Mill's does intend to purchase 2 HD5870's he will need to get a 750 or 850 watt PSU? And fork out an aditional $800 ontop of his original build in his OP which I priced at about $1200.

Looking at that benchmark it was chewing up about 300watts just with the single card.

I dont mean to be argumentative, I know we all have the best interests in sugesting a good build.

That crysis test was 1900x1200 everything maxed out. Most if not all mainstream 24-27 inch wide screen monitors max at 1920x1080 and personally you don't need every setting absolutly maxed out on very high. So your going to get better results than a min of 20FPS and average of 35FPS in game.

You will still find that most demanding games are still very much playable with just one graphics card. I know this for a fact and I only run a dual core CPU/4GB/HD5850/27"1080p.

I guess what im saying is if you got the cash, then spend over $2000 on CPU/Mobo/6GB RAM/2xGFX/750W PSU.

Other wise $1450 will still get you a very nice system.

Either way your still going to want to get the latest price/performance GPU in 1 to 2 years time. I feel with this in mind the single GFX builds make better economic sence.

I really dont like people putting fear into peoples builds tho, saying you must have 2 graphics cards or you will not enjoy your gaming experience. Thats just crap.

Thats the thing though, I'm going off what he said and I just worked with that.

If he wants to add a 2nd GPU down the track when he gets more cash, cool. But we're not talking about that(well we are, but he wants to add that later on down the track, so we're not blowing his $1500 budget as of now), we're discussing his build and my opinion was, that if he wanted to add a second card in the future, that he should spend an extra $150 (its really not much when you're spending $1200 already) on the X58 platform and then I went a bit further to say, why buy a 650w psu when you can spend like 20 or 30 dollars more to get a 750w psu. Because they can be carried over to other builds due to the fact that they've pretty much stayed the same for the last 20 years or something.

I didn't come in here to debate performance, however I dislike when people say that a single gpu runs such and such "fine" as one persons opinion of fine may not be anothers, which may also mean that my opinion of fine or good, is not Mill's opinion either. After having several generations of high end tech, I've come to enjoy gaming with all the bells and whistles at 60fps.

Hell, I even pull 50fps average in crysis (ingame, not in a benchmark) on this current system. Huge upgrade over what a single card can do, thats for sure. Ultimately though, its up to Mills, would really like to see him come back here and give his opinion too.

*EDIT* And for the record, I never said he would not enjoy games on a build with a single GPU, what I did do was disagree with the people saying dual 5870s was overkill.

Edited by nukejockey

If you're gonna run vms and doing lots of multi-tasking then I'd suggest the 1366 route with as much ram as you can afford as that'll give you lots of bandwidth to play with, I'm not sure if 6gb is sufficient enough to run 6 vms though so it might be worth stretching for a 12gb kit.

I run fine with 6gb.

Hi All,

Sorry I didn't know it would turn into this big argument. This really is my fault for not clarifying things better to begin with.

I would consider two graphics cards down the track but that wouldn't be any less then 12 months away as a guess. By then it will probably need a new board any cpu i dunno. I only have a 22 inch screen so I'm limited to the resolution of 1680x1050. I probably wont upgrade that monitor till it dies or I find something that is great and good value.

So by the sounds of it the 1366 is a good idea more for the fact that it will be better in the future. I guess I should state I want something that will last as long as possible and if possible will be easy to upgrade in the future.

my tax hasn't come in yet so Im not running out to buy it yet but its coming in next week as a guess.

I see what your saying Nukey.

Ok then, so if this was the build, what would you change the PSU to? Keeping in mind that Mill's might want to possibly run 2 x HD5870's in the future.

CPU: $352 i7-930

Mobo: $261 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

RAM: $212 Patriot Signature 6GB Kit DDR3 1600

GFX: $473 HIS 1GB HD5870

PSU: $135 Seasonic S12II-620W 80Plus Bronze <----change this to?

Total: $1433

And just to note, I refer you to this thread/build

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=33967

Notice comment ---- "I installed crysis, max settings, playable framerate."

Edited by Harro2

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=12111

Possibly he'll only need the 750w, the 850w would put him about 20 dollars over budget, I get the feeling he wouldn't mind so much.

As for that thread you linked, we've been over it, playable to one person may not be playable to another.

Its why we need Mills to say what he wants.

He is going for a single card for now anyway. In 12 months a 2nd hand 5870 will be a better option than buying a brand new card.

My brother recently did the same thing, he got a 4870 system back in november 2008 and got a 2nd 4870 a few months back for $100, double his performance in just about everything, not bad really.

Just to clarify, I see playable as not dropping below 30fps. I can tell when a game drops below 30fps, others cant, so I can understand someone saying 25fps is playable, when to me it feels like shit. Low framerates make me feel nauseous.

Edited by nukejockey

So by the sounds of it the 1366 is a good idea more for the fact that it will be better in the future. I guess I should state I want something that will last as long as possible and if possible will be easy to upgrade in the future.

Yeah, 1366 has some life left in it, plus they will still be good CPU's for quite a while anyway

And the buy one card now, another later is always great. I was lucky in that regard, I just bought 2 4850's for $40 each off a mate who just bought 2 GTX 480's. At the moment I'm only using one, but later on when I get around to it I'll add the other

So hopefully when the Radeon HD 6000 series is launched, the HD 5870 will drop in price, so you may even be able to get brand new, instead of second hand (just like many people bought second 48xx's)

But otherwise, it looks to be a great system, that is easily upgradeable and will see you well for a number of years...

what do you think about any of these then, I think Mills is from perth so MSY would be better option than PCCG+ shipping.

Antec TruePower TP-750Watt. PSU

Price:$148.00 MSY

Seasonic M12D 850Watt 80plus Silver PSU

Price:$239.00

Stock: IN STOCK

> Seasonic S12D-750Watt 80plus Silver Power Supply Unit PSU

Price:$173.00

Edited by Harro2

They're all good PSUs, I tend to go for the Seasonics and Corsairs purely for aesthetics though.

If he is buying everything from msy then the Seasonic 850w, if he wants to do a mixture (Which I would, as its hard as fuck to get stock at MSY these days) then I'd be grabbing the Corsair from PCCG.

So my tax finally came through and this is what Im looking at:

Posted Image

Any final words of advice please.

:)

awesome.

wouldn't really change much there. although i'm hearing things about usb,sata 3 and crossfire not playing nicely on that mobo. assuming your still considering crossfire later on.

Im starting to doubt it. By the time I get the money for it I may as well just get new shit all together. I probably will hang onto it for 3-4 years like I have with my current system.

yea thats what it was.

I think some boards don't do it due to dual NF200s or something like that.