Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
rokape

accessing PS3 HD via windows

Hey guys

Just a query.

I've just successfully upgraded my PS3 HD to 500 gigs.

The back up file file exceeds all my portable usb drives so I can't install any of my saves, pron etc....

I have the 40 gig PS3 HD looking sheepishly at me feeling all neglected.

I want to format it and use it as means to port the backup to the console, but not before I save all the data onto PC.

Are there any progs that'll allow me to clone the 40 gig PS3 HD to my PC ?

Cheers in advance...

To the best of my knowledge you have to backup to an external drive running FAT32 otherwise it wont work. I have not heard of backing up over a network connection but that would be sweet if you could.

Well, you can use it actually despite all the warnings that it wouldn't. What you need to do is go into Computer Management which is under Adminstrative Tools and then convert the HDD into one that it can read (i.e. master boot record and all that jazz). Then format it. I'm using the 40GB as a backup of my various stuff like photos and the like.

roger that

ive attached it to an external HD enclosure, but windows doesn't recognise it hence I can't access it in order to copy over the information, ill give the Admin Tools a whirl and see how that goes

cheers

Unfortunately you'll have to put your old HDD back in your PS3 then back up your system using its built in backup feature.

However, before you do that you'll need to reduce the size of the back up if it exceeds 30gig as the PS3 can only utilize this amount

due to the FAT32 file system it uses for external drives.

It's painfull I know as I've done it a couple of times and it gets harder the more you increase the internal HDD size :-)

Trojan