smadge1

ADSL for the folks

My parents have finally relented and decided they'd like to get the internet connected. The only equipment installed in their exchange is Telstra ADSL2+

Apparently People Telecom use Telstra equipment wholesale, does this mean they now have a choice of two providers? Telstra Bigpond and People Telecom?

Also, the ADSL2+ plans are quite expensive from either company, and they'd only want 512k or 1500k speeds anyway, which are ADSL. I've not used ADSL, before, if they got a ADSL2+ modem and an ADSL plan (from either company), it would work right?

I'm only considering People Telecom because they seem to have a lot more plans, and they're a lot more suitable than anything Bigpond can provide (such as a 5GB shaped plan)

The bigpond 12GB costs too much, and the 400MB plan would probably cost them a lot more in excess usage fees.

(Mind you, I'm happy paying $99 a month for my cable internet, but my parents wouldn't use the internet nearly as much as I do)

Also, the ADSL2+ plans are quite expensive from either company, and they'd only want 512k or 1500k speeds anyway, which are ADSL. I've not used ADSL, before, if they got a ADSL2+ modem and an ADSL plan (from either company), it would work right?

Yes it would work fine.

I'm only considering People Telecom because they seem to have a lot more plans, and they're a lot more suitable than anything Bigpond can provide (such as a 5GB shaped plan)

It would pay to have another look at a few other providers to see if they can offer it. Just spend some time on their sites filling in the "can I get broadbrand" questionaire. It doesn't take that long.

Look at Internode and Westnet 256/512/1500kbps services - they'll be ADSL1 based and should be pretty cheap. (and reliable)

Check out a website www.whirlpool.net.au they should be able to tell you what you need to know.

do they use Telstra equipment?

I'm pretty certain that only applies for ADSL2+. You should be able to get any ADSL provider.

I also recommend Westnet and Internode. Had very good experiences with both in terms of features, plans and customer service.

ah, ok.

I found People Telecom through the whirlpool site, as companies that use Telstra ADSL2+ wholesale.

so if I want to go ADSL, the field is much wider, this makes sense to me, thanks guys.

They don't really want to pay much over $30 per month for a limited service (but not as limited as the crappy bigpond plans)

ah, ok.

I found People Telecom through the whirlpool site, as companies that use Telstra ADSL2+ wholesale.

so if I want to go ADSL, the field is much wider, this makes sense to me, thanks guys.

They don't really want to pay much over $30 per month for a limited service (but not as limited as the crappy bigpond plans)

Yes most providers can provide ADSL 1 (1500K) or ADSL1+ (max 8mbit) on Telstra DSLAMS, EG I am on a big T DLSAM with Internode on a 1500/256 plan. Easiest way to check what is available is to put in the oldies phone number in to an ISPs coverage checker and see if it comes up as available.

for internode go to Internode Coverage

and plonk in the phone number including area code.

check out Exetel - I am getting 12G peak/48G off-peak (no upload costs, $3 per excess Gig, or you can opt to be shaped) , at ADSL2+, and a landline for $65 per month. if Optus can be accessed, Exetel can, they use the Optus lines, who, in turn use Telstra lines.

They already signed up to Bigpond before I could get back to them...

They at least went on the Liberty plan, my sister would use the connection too, so 400MB+$150/GB would have killed them.

Now I got to get them using VOIP...

This makes me sad. It's the story of my life when it comes to helping out my parents with their IT related stuff. If it bothers you as much as it does me, I've found warning them in advance that if they just go and buy/signup without consulting you first, that you'll straight out refuse to help them if/when they have problems. If they're anything like my folks, who are fucking terrible when it comes to this sort of thing, they will, after a couple of real-life practical demonstrations learn to listen.

They at least went on the Liberty plan, my sister would use the connection too, so 400MB+$150/GB would have killed them.

Now I got to get them using VOIP...

Yes, that 400MB plan is a huge scam. It's only about 13MB per day which can easily be used by looking at a few YouTube videos in a few seconds.

well, I assume the first time they connect their various computers, all sorts of things will want to update themselves.

This makes me sad. It's the story of my life when it comes to helping out my parents with their IT related stuff. If it bothers you as much as it does me, I've found warning them in advance that if they just go and buy/signup without consulting you first, that you'll straight out refuse to help them if/when they have problems. If they're anything like my folks, who are fucking terrible when it comes to this sort of thing, they will, after a couple of real-life practical demonstrations learn to listen.

Awesome. When they do the right thing do you reward them with a piece of beef jerky?