Sign in to follow this  
darnation

What CPU, RAM & MoBo Recommendations ...........

I am in the process of building 2 new primary gaming systems to replace my existing systems which are now over 15 months old to take advantage of the new generation hardware now available.

I run Windows 7 Home Premium and use the systems to play World of Warcraft, Farcry2, Crysis, MS Flight Simulator X, Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2 Bad Company, Desert Combat etc etc. I also of course run vent and have my own ventrilo 150 slot server for the guilds, network and clans.

I am an Intel and Nvidia user and have decided to go with 2x GTX 460 1Gb graphics cards [sLI] in the new systems I am building. I have also purchased one of the Auzentech Bravura 7.1 sound cards with the optical coupler for the system which will hook the sound into one of my optical ports on the big surround sound system I run for the systems.

So obviously the motherboard will have to support the 2 graphics cards and the PCI-E sound card easily with out stacking on top of each other to maximise cooling. I have an 850W modular SUPER FLOWER 80plus gold power supply with heaps of outputs to power the graphics cards and will mount everything into the Lian-Li Armoursuit PC-P50R I picked up.

I never overclock any of my systems or cards preferring to buy gear towards the top of the range available thus circumventing any problems and cooling arrangements required by overclocking.

I am looking for some advice and guidance as to what Intel CPU, RAM and MotherBoard would be best and cost effective for my 2 new systems. I have been reading up and following the reviews and tech discussions on the new hardware out there and have become confused by the inconsistencies in reviews on similar products.

So guys what recommendations would you make for the CPU, RAM & MoBo??

Edited by darnation

Wrong section for this post.

Before anything else- please clarify exactly what brand your power supply is, and what specs. Whilst your current one might say 'SUPER' it probably isn't.

Hey guys thanks for the comments.

Yes it was only after I had posted that I realised that it was in the wrong place lol. My first post so hopefully a Moderator will move it down for me.

Yes the PSU is a Super Flower one. I have been running those in my other systems now for some time and was not aware that they are questionable.

Could you please elaborate on why they may be suspect PSU's? Fortunately I have only purchased one of the 2 required so far so I would appreciare further advice about them before I get the next PSU.

They do not put out the rated volts they claim, they are very generic power supplies compared to others on the market, the only reason you have not had trouble form them is because it is such a large PSU that your current hardware would not make much demand of it, having said that it is also safe to assume that the voltages are not stable and if you are going to SLI you will need a stable PSU.

I would choose either an Antec Antec ATX TruePower 650W Internet Price: $132.00

Or a Corsair Corsair HX-650 ATX Power Supply, 120mm fan Internet Price: $145.00

Edited by bowiee

nothing wrong with SuperFlower, they make great PSU's, I've had 2 or 3 in the past, and I've recommended them to friends who're after a relatively cheap alternative.

according to Dan (Dan's Data) SuperFlower PSU's are rebadged Enermax's.

Thanks for that feedback on the PSU's bowiee. So if I want to venture into the dark world of SLI then stable power ratings become an issue?

I have been running the Flower supplies for several years so far without any issues or failures. I have not though run an SLI setup before with them.

I have been searching the Forums and reviews here to try and find out which is the Premium PSU to get. I also run 4x optical dvd drives, 1 onboard hard drive [2Tb WD] and an onboard S-100 Internal HDD Enclosure unit I use to plug and play other HD's. So far I have not been overly impressed with the performance of the next generation OCZ style drives to make the switch to them just yet.

So, which is the premium PSU to get out of the Antec, Corsair & Coolermaster stables?

To the Moderator who locked my thread dealing with the PSU's.

Are you for real? Dont you have enough to do other than to lock a thread which is perfectly reasonable and not abusive seeking to get the best available information available before buying new gear.

Thats the Atomic Magazine that I know and have been buying now for years!!!

I moved it into another heading just on PSU's as the other general one dealing with the CPU and MoBo etc had moved down the line and was not being answered anymore.

Bureaucracy does not belong in the Atomic world please!!!

Does it really matter? Keep it to one thread.

I gave you your answer before it was locked anyway.

PM him if you have an issue

Yes it does matter a lot to me. I have been a supporter of Atomic for years and have never ever used these forums before.

If it means so much to Atomic to harass people who are simply seeking help and information then its time I stopped buying the magazine.

Thank you so much for your helpful and constructive input.

Yes it does matter a lot to me. I have been a supporter of Atomic for years and have never ever used these forums before.

If it means so much to Atomic to harass people who are simply seeking help and information then its time I stopped buying the magazine.

Thank you so much for your helpful and constructive input.

I don't understand what the problem is. You haven't been harassed at all, you thread got locked becuase you already had a thread going in which you were asking for advice. Simply closed becuase we prefer to keep it in one thread.

To the Moderator who locked my thread dealing with the PSU's.

Are you for real? Dont you have enough to do other than to lock a thread which is perfectly reasonable and not abusive seeking to get the best available information available before buying new gear.

Thats the Atomic Magazine that I know and have been buying now for years!!!

I moved it into another heading just on PSU's as the other general one dealing with the CPU and MoBo etc had moved down the line and was not being answered anymore.

Bureaucracy does not belong in the Atomic world please!!!

That reaction seems odd mate, and an over reaction, as we were already talking about PSU's in this thread. It's great that you have been reading Atomic for years and have now made use of the forums. If you wanted more info on PSU's then all you do is ask the question in this thread which would have bumped the thread to the top again. No point in having your build scattered over 2 threads, it just clutters up the forums. :)

But don't be to harsh on the forums and mods (it's not an easy job) please read the F.A.Q. Relax and enjoy yourself. Oh and welcome to the Atomic forums :)

Now to your question, the two PSU's I listed would be enough for your machine, but if you want to go with higher wattage ones, then I recommend these.

Antec 850W TruePower Quattro ATX & EPS 12V Power Supply, Modular Cables, Four 12V Rails, 80Plus Cert Internet Price: $192.00

Corsair HX-850 ATX Power Supply w 140mm Modular Cables Internet Price: $222.00