Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
baarboss

Overclocking E6600, where do I start with volts?

Well I've finally decided to have a go at overclocking my old rig. I've read up a bit and am just going to try a little boost initially and when I get game I might push it a bit but I am stuck on where to go with the voltage.

Some threads I've read suggest to leave the voltage on auto but other advice seems to suggest that this will result in V being too high.

CPUz reads about 1.28 when running at 2.4ghz(everything at stock settings) though in the bios it says normal volts is around 1.3125. CPU specs say 0.85 to 1.5.

My rig is

Gigabyte 965P DS3P rev 3.3

E6600

1GB Corsair DDR2 Twin2X (2048MB Kit) 6400C4 4-4-4-12

I just saw the thread with the E6600 in a sonata and one suggestion was to drop the V by 0.5 for stock to help cooling. Should I start at around 1.28 as CPUz says at 2.4ghz? Above the previous suggestion I know but lower than the BIOS reported normal volts.

Cheers BB

Leave voltages on auto, drop the ram frequency a notch (ie 667mhz) by adjusting the CPU:RAM ratio in the bios, because when you raise the FSB the ram speeds go up with it. Start cranking that FSB.

3ghz can be easily had with those chips. 3.4 is about as far as i'd go with all settings set to auto, although at 3.4 i would perform some stress tests just to make sure as there might be some tweaking involved. also it is as far as I would go with stock cooling.

oh yes and have patience when you do push your chip... don't go all the way at the beginning. try increments of 100 to 200mhz on the cpu

Edited by alkahest

general settings for my conroe which was very easy to get to as follows (24/7 at times although I ran a TRUE) - These conroe's can take a bit of beating although I would not up the voltage more than 1.4 just to be cautious.

CPU voltage - 1.375

FSB - 380 (3.420)

Ram timings - 5/5/5/18

Ram @ 1:1

PCI bus locked to 100mhz

Temps were 20-22 idle ~39ish Load during winter.

Everything else was set at auto.

Sorry for the no feedback. Been away from the comp for a bit. I haven't had a go yet but I will and thanks for the tips motiv and alkahest.

In the meantime I have been given a E7400 to play with as well so will tinker with them both to see what I get. Having a higher multiplier is good yeah?

On another note, what temps do you use in relation to the cpu. Coretemp and HWmonitor both show around 38,41 for the cores and HWmonitor is showing 26 for the cpu. Do you normally talk about core temp?

I've got a CoolermasterV8 in the cupboard I need to put on( I know I know, but its what I've got), so I'll have a lash at it when I get a chance. Has to be better than the stock cooler anyway.

Leave voltages on auto...

Sorry mate but I strongly disagree. By leaving the voltages set to auto lets the mobo decide on how much juice to give the cpu. More often than not the cpu is given more than required. Thus creating more unwanted heat. By having a starting point on your voltages, say stock vcore would be good, then slowly do your overclock, when the cpu test fails up the vcore a little more. Bit by bit.

But IMHO the best way to overclock is to do in two separate parts. First find out the max your ram will over clock. Then do the cpu next without overclocking the ram by using the dividers. Then once you have found both max overclocks just put them together...

Edited by OptiMus_PriMe

I've let mine on auto, have it at 3.2ghz idle temps around 30c in a p192 with a hyper 212+, load around 60c, not bad imo.

What was the outcome of that, motiv?

Outcome was a perfectly stable o/c.

Performance increased dramatically. I'm sure I could of hit higher, but then I assume I have to start playing with my NB voltages and such which I was not too confident in.

Rob

What was the outcome of that, motiv?

Outcome was a perfectly stable o/c.

Performance increased dramatically. I'm sure I could of hit higher, but then I assume I have to start playing with my NB voltages and such which I was not too confident in.

Rob

ive got my E6550 on 2.8 using the stock cooler

I run my E6600 at 3GHz, RAM 1:1 24/7 and have done for some time.

Actaully just thought id hit the forums for some pointers on how to send this a bit higher tonight ;)

Completely agree with manually setting voltages too, leaving it up to the motherboard makes no sense when your tweaking everything else.