darklord6661

Backing up a home file server

Hi everyone,

I am looking at making a home file server / media center to store all my data on. I was also thinking of having a RAID array so i can take say 2 1TB drives and combine them.

I was just wondering if creating a system image of this RAID drive to an external 1TB with Acronis is an ample way of backing that data up? (The reason i say a 1TB external, is

because usually Acronis compresses the image fairly well.)

Has anyone out there already got a similar setup? Some tips would be greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks in advance

I was probably thinking a Striped array so that i can use 2 drives as a single drive, plus there would be a performance increase as well

Keep those backups up to date. If you lose either drive you'll lose the lot!

Striping is great for boosting performance on a OS partition but I'd prefer simple JBOD or mirroring for data storage.

At least with JBOD you only lose the data on a single disk if it fails.

Any backup system should work providing you do it regularly. Try recovering your data from backup to make sure it is recoverable BEFORE you need to do it for real.

At work I've automated backups for our database using scripts so that it needs no human intervention to ensure daily off site backups of our working data set. If humans need to remember to do the backup it's sure to be forgotten.

At home I've just built a File server using OpenSolaris and ZFS RAIDZ1 - I had an external drive fail on me a couple of weeks ago and didn't enjoy the experience. Now I shouldn't lose data to a single drive failure again at home.

Hmmm... JBOD looks interesting. Is it relatively easy to set up? Is it a lot more reliable than RAID 0 because there is no performance increase - just a large drive?

I just have 8 individual drives, using AllwaySync (free) to sync the two drives every time i make a change and the PC is left idle.

Whilst i am a big fan of syncing, i like that imaging compresses so well. Unless someone has an alternative to imaging that compresses decently without risking integrity???

I've been using Acronis True Image for years on both servers and workstations. It has never failed me. Simply schedule nightly backups and you're set. I've always scheduled full backup images into daily folders (eg. Monday, Tuesday, etc.) on an external USB hard drive. In the event of a complete system failure, you can very easily recover the most recent image onto a new hard drive and/or system. It's easy, fast, and very reliable. No need to reinstall the OS or any other software. Simply boot from the Acronis CD and tell it you want everything from the backup USB drive to go onto the replacement hard drive and/or system. When it's done, you have a completely rebuilt system just the way you left it prior to the last backup.

Whilst i am a big fan of syncing, i like that imaging compresses so well. Unless someone has an alternative to imaging that compresses decently without risking integrity???

Enable drive compression on one of the drives?

Keep in mind, compressed video, mp3s and ISO images WILL NOT compress much at all, even with Acronis.