Sign in to follow this  
stuub27

Shintaro HD DVB-T set top box

Just looking for some feedback on these STB's, if anyone has used them, or heard reliable reports...please?

Otherwise, what are the best options for a cheap HD box. Don't need recording, just so my folks can watch TV...

Cheers

Stu

JB has a few HD boxes for 80 - 100 bucks. The TEAC for 99 has USB input for media playback, which is pretty neat for a cheap STB.

Mind you I think I saw a HD box at Dick Smith for closer to 50 bucks. Could've actually been SD though... I'm not sure.

JB has a few HD boxes for 80 - 100 bucks. The TEAC for 99 has USB input for media playback, which is pretty neat for a cheap STB.

Mind you I think I saw a HD box at Dick Smith for closer to 50 bucks. Could've actually been SD though... I'm not sure.

Yeah, just did a walk-around at the local shops...the TEAC is probably in the lead at this stage...Bing Lee have it for $89

However, if anyone knows a STB that uses an RF remote I will shower you with sexual favours and/or alcohol/whatever takes your fancy*!!! Our current one uses IR...which they ALL seem to...but it is RUBBISH :(

Hard to know if it is the remote or the receiver in the box...gonna try out a couple of things later...

Cheers

*This pledge may or may not be fulfilled...gratitude will certainly be forthcoming, but its form may not match the above described :)

However, if anyone knows a STB that uses an RF remote I will shower you with sexual favours and/or alcohol/whatever takes your fancy*!!! Our current one uses IR...which they ALL seem to...but it is RUBBISH :(

Hard to know if it is the remote or the receiver in the box...gonna try out a couple of things later...

Cheers

Got any compact flouro light globes in the room?

Try using the remote with the CF turned off and see if there is a difference. Reason I say this is at one stage I had issues with a remote being bloody useless at anything above a 1/2 a meter from the receiver. Issue was caused by one compact flouro in the room emitting too much IR radiation at just the frequency of the VCR/DVD remote.

Cheers

Got any compact flouro light globes in the room?

Try using the remote with the CF turned off and see if there is a difference. Reason I say this is at one stage I had issues with a remote being bloody useless at anything above a 1/2 a meter from the receiver. Issue was caused by one compact flouro in the room emitting too much IR radiation at just the frequency of the VCR/DVD remote.

Hey, it seems you are onto something there! Just tried with lights off...some improvement I think :)

But, changing the lights probably isn't the ideal fix. I checked the remote...a lot of the problem is that the 2 and 7 buttons are rooted (guess which channels they watch mostly!). That and there is a coffee table in the line of sight...mind you, the problem used to not be so pronounced, so we may hopefully see improvement with a better box- this one was one of the earlier to market ones (LG). Looking at the Strong range atm...

Hey, it seems you are onto something there! Just tried with lights off...some improvement I think :)

But, changing the lights probably isn't the ideal fix. I checked the remote...a lot of the problem is that the 2 and 7 buttons are rooted (guess which channels they watch mostly!).

Oh the remote is that old :P

Then if you don't want the expense of a new STB you could buy a cheapy universal remote, but given the low price of new HD STBs may as well go for that. :-)

But, changing the lights probably isn't the ideal fix. I checked the remote...a lot of the problem is that the 2 and 7 buttons are rooted (guess which channels they watch mostly!).

Then if you don't want the expense of a new STB you could buy a cheapy universal remote, but given the low price of new HD STBs may as well go for that. :-)

Yeah, the universal remote is kinda tempting...but they don't want to have to teach it first

And the new boxes are not too expensive...sorta :)

Anyone with experience with the Strong range??

I suspect they all come out of the one factory in China with different names on them!

U so cynical!!!

But you may have a point! :)

the Dick smith HD STB's are actually prety good, we havent had a huge amount back, but the tuner in them is apparently really good from what ive heard back from customers (the reception for anything down here is pretty marginal, and they get a good signal strength etc). got a USB port for media playback, though the range of formats is a bit small, its better than nothing, especially for the $72 asking price...

linkage

the Dick smith HD STB's are actually prety good, we havent had a huge amount back, but the tuner in them is apparently really good from what ive heard back from customers (the reception for anything down here is pretty marginal, and they get a good signal strength etc). got a USB port for media playback, though the range of formats is a bit small, its better than nothing, especially for the $72 asking price...

linkage

Cool. Thanks for that. I'll pass it on to my folks :)

linkage

Cool. Thanks for that. I'll pass it on to my folks :)

no probs :)

the strong STB's are quite good from what I have heard.

also, we had the CF problem with an older telly of ours. the guys at betta electrical changed the TV out twice, only to find it was a problem with our choice of lighting at the time. havent seen that problem for a loooooong time though. at worst a new set of compact fluro's may do the trick along with getting a 6B pencil and colouring in the contacts on the under side of the rubber sheet for the buttons in the remote, and cleaning down the contacts on the PCB with metho or something. done that a few times in store and havent seen a customer come back :)

http://www.dtvforum.info/

and

http://forums.dvbowners.com/index.php?act=idx

are a couple of good sites for seeing the type of issues people have with various STBs.

I personally wouldn't bother with a STB now given the price of new LCD TVs with built in tuners.

Heck you can even get a 32" LCD with inbuilt DVD player for under $700.00 (plus freight).

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/category/lcd-dvd-combo/

Yeah, the universal remote is kinda tempting...but they don't want to have to teach it first

And the new boxes are not too expensive...sorta :)

Anyone with experience with the Strong range??

When they work they're quite decent. Although I've dealt with quite a few returns (above average). Although there isn't actually much left in the more 'respectable' brands unfortunately.

My folks have lowered the priority of getting a new STB, once we all figured that the remote was the real problem. Once they wear out the channel change button- as in up and down- like they did the 2 and 7 then it'll come to a head again.

A new TV isn't really an option- what they have is very good and the cabinet they got built for it was on the expensive (and nice!) side of things, so they won't be changing that anytime soon.

I'll check out those sites aliali, thanks. Glanced at them over the years, but should probably get stuck in more.

Cheers all

Stu