sUpEr gEEk

Gaming = expensive hobby

I find the fact you expect to get multiple collector's editions hilarious... I've pre-ordered collectors editions before, and had them pre-ordered for damn near 10 months and gotten a refund because they had none to give me on release day.

If you avoid the disk copy, and steam copy, and stop thinking ahead of time for profit, you'd probably only spend $300 max.

Edit:

Also, speaking of the SC2:CE... knowing blizzard it'll probably come with a wow pet code.

Edited by Kastoli

Gaming is an expensive hobby that’s for sure.

Especially if you are an impulsive buyer like me.

I don't even want to know what I have spent on games and pc bits and console gear this year.

I made a new year’s resolution to not buy everything off steam that’s on sale and so far that’s going ok.

I got Xbox for my birthday so there is more spend although I have been pretty lucky with that so far as Game and EB sales have been good to me.

On collectors editions I have never tried to resell them but the last one I picked up was the World In Conflict one with a chunk of the Berlin wall and some history channel DVD's.

That cost like $109 and I beat that game in 2 days so that’s the end of being special editions of anything for me.

Although I picked up the Gears of war 2 special edition with a metal case and some DVDs and redeem codes for $24 so that’s not so bad.

Edited by Dan_2

I love cars....

About to do the 2000km service on My Toyota Soarer...

About $800 in materials.

Then 3k for body kit, primed and painted.

Then Rims.

Then Tyres.

Need I go on?

E: Last time I went out drinking, I spend $50 on Tea and Drinks.

Had a $5 Parmie and chips special at one pub, went to the next for drinks- Had mainly Carlton Cold Beer and 2 Jonnie Walker Cans (just to get the stupid promo hat, now myself and all my mates wear it to LANs :D)

Edited by sgtsmithy

Gaming is cheap.

Stay two or three years behind, and when you get around to buying the games, they're between $5 to $15 :P

Had a $5 Parmie and chips special at one pub, went to the next for drinks- Had mainly Carlton Cold Beer and 2 Jonnie Walker Cans (just to get the stupid promo hat, now myself and all my mates wear it to LANs :D)

Where does one acquire said JW hat? I love the stuff but 90% of the time just buy beer cause its cheaper than alcopops.

Problem is I accounted for that, plus cover charges, plus the occasional buying drinks for bitches etc.

I wouldn't be going out if it was regularly putting me over $50 out of pocket each time, having said that, I have no need for taxis or lap dances, kebabs on the other hand... :D

Speak of the devil... I spent well over $50 last night

Where does one acquire said JW hat? I love the stuff but 90% of the time just buy beer cause its cheaper than alcopops.

Was a random promo, buy 2 cans and get the hat.

Geez that JW tasted horrid >_<

lol did you have it with cola?

I'd be asking questions if it weren't the case given they were cans

lol yeah.

I don;t mind it out of the bottle with Cola.

But those cans were horrid.

I think between the 4 hats we got, we only drank about 3/8 cans.

I'm not seeing the point in buying two copies of the same game. Yeah in a few years time it 'might' (emphasis on the might) be worth it to sell on eBay, but you're saying it's costing you so much when you're making the choice to over spend in the first place.

lol yeah.

I don;t mind it out of the bottle with Cola.

But those cans were horrid.

I think between the 4 hats we got, we only drank about 3/8 cans.

Can you get JW with dry? That's how I drink my whiskey (or the cheap and nasty stuff I can (sometimes) afford anyway). Much better than coke / cola, especially the medicinal crap they sell in pre-mix.

Edited by TazFromOz

Can you get JW with dry? That's how I drink my whiskey (or the cheap and nasty stuff I can (sometimes) afford anyway). Much better than coke / cola, especially the medicinal crap they sell in pre-mix.

Yep, green and white can, costs about $22 for a 6 pack.

Oh, I never drink pre-mix. Mix my own. Not a big fan of Scotch either. Well, I am, but not the cheap stuff. Cheap Irish, or even bourbon, is better.

Gaming is much cheaper than upgrading the PC or even my other hobby of photography. Here's the breakdown of gaming against my photography.

Gaming:

On order

Pre-order Fallout: New Vegas - $50 @ EB Games

Trinity Universe - $70 with shipping from play-asia

Spent this year

Dragon Age: Origins - $50

Final Fantasy XIII - $50

Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition - $50

Resonance of Fate - $80

No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle - $80

Total on gaming: $430 so far as I tend to shop for quality rather than waste it.

Compare to photography ATM.

Photography:

Sony alpha a200 with twin kit lens - $500 @ atomic

Sony DT 50mm f1.8 SAM - $250

Tamron SP AF 17-50 f2.8 XR Di II LD - $500

Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro - $1000

Sony DSLR bag - $50

Lowepro backpack bag - $180

Total in photography: $2480. Nearly 5 times gaming and I haven't added upgrade to the PC which adds to the gaming. But that still doesn't take the cake of my photography cost.

I'm not seeing the point in buying two copies of the same game. Yeah in a few years time it 'might' (emphasis on the might) be worth it to sell on eBay, but you're saying it's costing you so much when you're making the choice to over spend in the first place.

yep the reality is that expecting to make money out of a video game is pretty wack these days. I mean for starters dont you think that about 2500 other pimply kids are thinking the exact same thing? ""mmm i buy extra collectors editions and then sell them on ebay". LOL. I can pretty much guaranetee you that Starcraft at least will be around for quite some time and I think your chances of selling the CE for a 'profit' (dont forget to include things like the 'time' needed to complete a transaction through Ebay, and my time for example is worth at least $200 an hour) are slim at best. But hey, there is a sucker born every minute. Or at least there may be a couple of serious collectors out there who missed out in the first run.

the point is that 'real' gamers dont give a crap about the CE. they want the game. And wont want to pay an inflated ebay price for a CE when they can just go and buy the standard version (which as I said, will be around for years so it will hardly have any kind of 'rarity' factor). I have an original boxed mint copy of Half Life. What do you think its worth? put it this way. I still couldnt sell it for the money that I originally paid for it. What do you think my original mint copy of Starcraft 1 is worth? Again bugger all.

Edited by GhostFaceKilla

My steam account was worth around 1400 before the steam sales at the start of the year, its now worth over $3000.

Factor in the new mobo,cpu, ram, watercooling and case I've bought this year, plus the wii + all the games(ps3, 360 etc.), I'm looking at well over 5k in the last 7 months.

My steam account was worth around 1400 before the steam sales at the start of the year, its now worth over $3000.

Factor in the new mobo,cpu, ram, watercooling and case I've bought this year, plus the wii + all the games(ps3, 360 etc.), I'm looking at well over 5k in the last 7 months.

Good to see that your stimulating the economy :P

I've just had a quick look over my Steam purchases... Almost $400 this year.

Yeah, I'm not going to look over that again. I don't feel so well now.

yep the reality is that expecting to make money out of a video game is pretty wack these days. I mean for starters dont you think that about 2500 other pimply kids are thinking the exact same thing? ""mmm i buy extra collectors editions and then sell them on ebay". LOL. I can pretty much guaranetee you that Starcraft at least will be around for quite some time and I think your chances of selling the CE for a 'profit' (dont forget to include things like the 'time' needed to complete a transaction through Ebay, and my time for example is worth at least $200 an hour) are slim at best. But hey, there is a sucker born every minute. Or at least there may be a couple of serious collectors out there who missed out in the first run.

the point is that 'real' gamers dont give a crap about the CE. they want the game. And wont want to pay an inflated ebay price for a CE when they can just go and buy the standard version (which as I said, will be around for years so it will hardly have any kind of 'rarity' factor). I have an original boxed mint copy of Half Life. What do you think its worth? put it this way. I still couldnt sell it for the money that I originally paid for it. What do you think my original mint copy of Starcraft 1 is worth? Again bugger all.

You can make money on it, but you have to be ahead of the curve and prepared to wait a long fucking time.

Copies of Chrono Trigger, Secret Of Evermore and other weaboo SNES JRPG's go for several hundred dollars when they come up for auction, as do things like Battletoads on NES and other small-volume cult classics. You're right though when you say that Starcraft II will not be one of those. It's got mass appeal, and will sell a boatload of copies, which is why things like Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario Bros 3 still only go for $10-$30, depending on condition. They'll go up slightly as availability drops, but it's been 22 years for SMB3, and it'll be another 20 before it hits $100.

Don't waste your money buying games to sell them on quickly for a profit. Stick in a couple of pre-orders for white iPhone 4's, or better still, buy some fucking shares.