Sign in to follow this  
Mills

Shotgun Tasers

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-au...u-1225895278653

Now how cool would it be to have one of these :)

Ofcourse it would not be good to be on the receiving end but damn these things would be great for shits and giggles.

Should they be used by police though? My opinion is they shouldn't need them simply becuase I can not see how they can be justified over the taser handguns that they have now. its not like they can carry a shotgun with them everywhere they go like they do with the tasers.

Should they be used by police though?

Yes.

My opinion is they shouldn't need them simply becuase I can not see how they can be justified over the taser handguns that they have now.

As well as, not instead of.

its not like they can carry a shotgun with them everywhere they go like they do with the tasers.

Keep it in the boot of the car. Longer range than the hand held Taser, better to tase the bad guy at a longer range, reducing risk of injury to yourself.

30m range doesn't exactly stop major problems, how accurate is it at that range? The cops in the UK shot that guy twice with them and he still managed to shoot himself afterwards,

At close in range range the weight of the projectile could be fatal - defeating the purpose of the taser in the first place - so what you give them a weapon to use then, don't let them use it as the situation gets more stressful. So is is really useful for the crazy domestic or nutter in the street situations? I thought the stats for Australian taser trials were that they were by a vast majority used in drive mode (held against the target, not fired).

What use does it serve against a guy 20-30m away with a gun? - you'd be better to shoot him not tase him.

someone at that distance waving a knife isn't a direct risk, and by the time they are, too close for the shotgun.

Seems more likely as a riot control device than a targeted weapon.

I don't have a problem with police having non fatal tools available if there's a logical and statistically significant scenario that would benefit - but not sure that I see it.

Really?

Just after news of this broke?

Like. Really?

To be fair, the article says Seven News are reporting this shotgun taser thing, not that WA Police have announced they're considering it or that this Rockingham taser thing didn't make them pause. It's just sort of vaugley stated that someone else is reporting it. So... fair enough.

30m range doesn't exactly stop major problems, how accurate is it at that range? The cops in the UK shot that guy twice with them and he still managed to shoot himself afterwards,

At close in range range the weight of the projectile could be fatal - defeating the purpose of the taser in the first place - so what you give them a weapon to use then, don't let them use it as the situation gets more stressful. So is is really useful for the crazy domestic or nutter in the street situations? I thought the stats for Australian taser trials were that they were by a vast majority used in drive mode (held against the target, not fired).

What use does it serve against a guy 20-30m away with a gun? - you'd be better to shoot him not tase him.

someone at that distance waving a knife isn't a direct risk, and by the time they are, too close for the shotgun.

Seems more likely as a riot control device than a targeted weapon.

I don't have a problem with police having non fatal tools available if there's a logical and statistically significant scenario that would benefit - but not sure that I see it.

+1 to all of the above.

Also adding the fact that this round fires from a "standard 12 ga. shotgun." Cool, but not cool. It could be too easy to expect the XREP but instead fire a 00 shell. I think this weapon should be restricted to military and SWAT -- those guys need nonlethal munitions like this one. Capturing insurgents as opposed to killing them is a great way to boost intel. With gear like this, we can capture them fairly safely.

What use does it serve against a guy 20-30m away with a gun?

It'll put him down on the ground, giving the cops enough time to secure him and his weapon.

Keep it in the boot of the car. Longer range than the hand held Taser, better to tase the alleged bad guy at a longer range, reducing risk of injury to yourself.

I'm not sold on the use of the taser in any hostage situation.. other than that, This should be an acceptable alternative, I guess.

Edited by VannA

Keep it in the boot of the car. Longer range than the hand held Taser, better to tase the alleged bad guy at a longer range, reducing risk of injury to yourself.

I'm not sold on the use of the taser in any hostage situation.. other than that, This should be an acceptable alternative, I guess.

Now come on, that's not what I said. Please don't put words in my mouth. There's no need to use the word 'alleged'. Saying someone's a bad guy isn't accusing them of any crime.

As for the use of tasers in hostage situations...Better off using a less than lethal response than a lethal response, IMO.

Why? Lethal responses are usually used because the results are predictable.

You don't really want to tase somebody holding a gun with their finger on the trigger.

What's accusing them of a crime got to do with it? You don't know them, so they are only allegedly bad guys. That's what the word Allegedly means.

Believed but not proven.

Why? Lethal responses are usually used because the results are predictable.

Hardly.

You don't really want to tase somebody holding a gun with their finger on the trigger.

Why not?