Sign in to follow this  
Windex

Win7 issues with home network and internet connection

Hey guys been trying to setup a new laptop for a friend and have had quite a odd issue. Its my first foray into Win7 and it hasn’t been that unpleasant so far. However I have hit a snag, it seems that when this laptop is connected to the network happily accessing the internet it will randomly cause the internet connection to be dropped(restarting the router brings everything back to life), when the internet connection dies the laptop seems to drop the LAN connection as well. The home network in question has been running fine for over a year with one cabled PC and two wireless laptops connected to it usually, all these PCs are running XP. When it goes down all other PCs are unable to access the internet. If the Win7 laptop is turned off / disconnected from the WLAN everything runs as it should.

Fast facts:

New laptop Toshiba L630

Router: Netgear WGT624 V2 (It has the latest firmware)

Wireless security disabled

MAC filtering enabled(new laptop has been added to the allowed list)

I did a bit of a Google search the other night and found a few other users had seen much the same behavior with Win7 and the router type in question but no one seemed to have an answer. Seems that the same thing had happened to people running Vista too.

Edited by Windex

Fast facts:

New laptop Toshiba L630

Router: Netgear WGT624 V2 (It has the latest firmware)

Wireless security disabled

MAC filtering enabled(new laptop has been added to the allowed list)

Most likely some weird incompatibility between the router and Win 7/Vista. Seen this with a couple of Belkins with this issue. In both case the fix was to update the firmware as Belkin had apparently realised the issue and bought out a new firmware.

Latest firmware for that one seems to be 4.2.11 but if you actually have that then not much help. After upgrading the firmware did you do a full factory reset to defaults? Always a good idea after a firmware upgrade.

Otherwise try turning off super G mode, and if you installed the Netgear Smart Wizard get rid of it as I fond most of these easy setup utilities to just cause problems in themsleves.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/978

If none of that helps might be time for a new router.

Also on a side not MAC filtering is totally useless as a security measure, as is WEP and hiding the ssid.

MAC addresses can be spoofed in a few seconds, WEP can be cracked almost as quickly and hiding the ssid only makes it harder for you to find the network (especially for PS3/XBOX/Ipods/phones/PDAs etc), any sort of network sniffer can find a hidden ssid in a few seconds, so forget about those for network security, they are a complete and total waste of time.

You must use WPA or WPA2 (the latter is preferred) with at least a 20 character random key for any sort of wireless security.

I use http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/WPA_key/generator.php to generate random keys.

Also don't forget to change the default admin login password for the router and the modem.

Most likely some weird incompatibility between the router and Win 7/Vista. Seen this with a couple of Belkins with this issue. In both case the fix was to update the firmware as Belkin had apparently realised the issue and bought out a new firmware.

Latest firmware for that one seems to be 4.2.11 but if you actually have that then not much help. After upgrading the firmware did you do a full factory reset to defaults? Always a good idea after a firmware upgrade.

Otherwise try turning off super G mode, and if you installed the Netgear Smart Wizard get rid of it as I fond most of these easy setup utilities to just cause problems in themsleves.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/978

If none of that helps might be time for a new router.

Also on a side not MAC filtering is totally useless as a security measure, as is WEP and hiding the ssid.

MAC addresses can be spoofed in a few seconds, WEP can be cracked almost as quickly and hiding the ssid only makes it harder for you to find the network (especially for PS3/XBOX/Ipods/phones/PDAs etc), any sort of network sniffer can find a hidden ssid in a few seconds, so forget about those for network security, they are a complete and total waste of time.

You must use WPA or WPA2 (the latter is preferred) with at least a 20 character random key for any sort of wireless security.

I use http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/WPA_key/generator.php to generate random keys.

Also don't forget to change the default admin login password for the router and the modem.

Thanks for the very informative post, I will suggest they move to a different security method, at this stage there is no internet sharing setup on the new lappy as its fresh out of the box. I setup the same type of laptop on a different network last night and had no issues setting it up and no connection issues. Which makes me suspect the router / setup is triggering something odd within Win7.

Edited by Windex