scarfy

What is the worst instance of poverty you've seen in real life?

And really, is that what counts? How about spiritually?

Define spiritually.

I can't.

So what are you asking?

Are they worse off than we, spiritually?

How can I answer a question when you can't tell me what the question means?

*EDIT* Edits removed to separate post */EDIT*

Edited by tantryl

If you had a superiority complex, tantryl, you'd understand.

Rob.

I'm fucked if I know.

I'd like poverty people a lot more if they didn't keep trying to sell me better deals on my electricity.

I mean, I don't know if the poor of the world are better or worse off than me, either materially or spiritually. I have no spiritual beliefs, so how can they be worse off than me in that regard?

I still struggle, materially. So do they. But at what point does their struggle become greater than mine?

I suppose the only answer I can give is that since the subject of the question has no defined meaning, there can be no answer.

That was pretty deep. I'm damn spiritual. Also, fordumenical.

But at what point does their struggle become greater than mine?

At the point that you're able to go to bed under a roof (in warmth), fill your stomach with food, visit the doctor.

If these things don't reduce the 'struggle' in life, then why bother with them?

Edited by scarfy

But at what point does their struggle become greater than mine?

At the point that you're able to go to sleep under a roof, in warmth, fill your stomach with food, visit the doctor.

If these things don't reduce your 'struggle' in life, then why bother with them?

Right. So even if they're poor and have a roof, in warmth, with food in their tummy and have access to the doctor, does that then mean that they're no longer poor?

If these things don't reduce the 'struggle' in life, then why bother with them?

It's called cultural conditioning.

Is camping in the wilderness just an elaborate poverty simulation?

Only if you leave your Winnebago at home.

And the place you camp doesn't have many useful natural resources. Edited by tantryl

Is camping in the wilderness just an elaborate poverty simulation?

Only if you leave your Winnebago at home.

And the place you camp doesn't have many useful natural resources.

Like hot running water and free wireless broadband.

In that case, I slave away all year so I can enjoy a couple of weeks of poverty during the holidays.

there's no real need to bother with 1shot's useless pedantry.

I have a feeling he might take it as a compliment if I said I can't think of anyone else who might fail the Turing test.

I like your point about cultural conditioning, 1shot. It's one that doesn't get raised all that often in these types of discussions.

I agree that the odd person who is used to poverty might very well be content with it, seeing how people work in very different ways, but since most cultures are imbalanced (many poor people live within sight of wealthier people), people are conditioned that more=happiness.

But when it comes to the utter basics, like food, water, shelter, education and health care, I think it's pretty fundamental/innate to being alive (human) that access to these things will make you happier. By the way of not suffering as much.

Does a hard-earned feed you caught yourself taste better than one you drove home from the supermarket?

No, of course not because it's probably a dirty old rat or some shit that you found.

It's all well and good to go"Fuck this!" and live in a modest shack, off the land and so on until someone loses an eye, or an immune system or their marbles. So i think access to medicare and the rest of the healthcare establishment alone makes us far, far better of than the people in the accounts given.

Personally, it was in Bangkok climbing the steps of a pedestrian overpass that connects wanton shopping centres, and there was a small boy and his baby sibling begging alone on the landing halfway up.

If you're not familiar with the actions, they sit with their legs crossed, palms together in front of their noses and they just bow over and over. It would give me a sore back trying it for more than a minute I reckon.

So we give them some coins (this is the last day the trip and so far neither mysef nor anyone else that I noticed have donated to anyone begging) and as we carry on we see mum at the top of the stairs, begging also, with a guilty look on her face.

Sad that it takes a trick to get tourists to give(a shit).

Sad that kids are made to physically work hard by poor parents.

Sad that the mother has no other option.

Sad that there is a possibility it isn't her only option.

But I have to assume it's the best she can do for her kids, so I certainly don't think bad of her, don't think she should feel guilty for tricking tourists, I can imagine she has had to deal with some real douchebags wanting their money back!

If money is the root of all evil then giving money to beggars is like tearing them down from their Tower of Goodness. Sounds like tall poppy syndrome to me.

I say break their bonds, unlock those chains, and let them soar on their majestic wings of poverty.

there's no real need to bother with 1shot's useless pedantry.

I have a feeling he might take it as a compliment if I said I can't think of anyone else who might fail the Turing test.

LOL

If I were to use this on other people I know, phrased "So blah blah, that they cause false negatives on the turing test", does false negatives makes sense?

It might be pertinent to mention that happiness increases with income up to about $60k, for those who haven't heard it