scarfy

What is the worst instance of poverty you've seen in real life?

It might be pertinent to mention that happiness increases with income up to about $60k, for those who haven't heard it

Are you saying happiness levels out at 60k/year? Or that there's like... diminishing returns on money related happiness?

Wrong. Have you ever wondered why gypsies are always smiling and dancing? They would look at your Happy Salary and laugh, and probably put a curse on your family.

The barter system was ahead of its time but I feel as a world society we're ready to embrace it properly.

there's no real need to bother with 1shot's useless pedantry.

I have a feeling he might take it as a compliment if I said I can't think of anyone else who might fail the Turing test.

LOL

If I were to use this on other people I know, phrased "So blah blah, that they cause false negatives on the turing test", does false negatives makes sense?

yes.

Worse case I can remember was last year in Uganda - making gravel.

Basically by the side of the road, all these people sit there digging out rocks/boulders then breaking them up with a hammer (or by smacking them with other rocks), and then the gravel guys drive up and down the road and buy the gravel from them (given each adult's pile is about the size of a wheelbarrow full - it looks like they sell maybe a load per day - Not like you'd leave it unattended).

Mostly adults, but there was a kid of about 5 sitting there hammering away at his little pile.

Basically by the side of the road, all these people sit there digging out rocks/boulders then breaking them up with a hammer (or by smacking them with other rocks), and then the gravel guys drive up and down the road and buy the gravel from them (given each adult's pile is about the size of a wheelbarrow full - it looks like they sell maybe a load per day - Not like you'd leave it unattended).

Mostly adults, but there was a kid of about 5 sitting there hammering away at his little pile.

Over here, we use a machine for that, with one bloke operating it and 100 on the dole queue saying that they can't find work.

The slums in Managua, Nicaragua were probably the worst I've seen. It's a city devastated by civil war and earthquakes, and a decent proportion of it is still rubble.

Bangalore.

Walking down a main street at about 10:30 at night after dinner. Along the road were a couple of girls, 10 years of age or younger. They were both thin and dirty, sitting in amongst the garbage holding their hands out for money. sitting in their crossed legs were 2 babies, easily under 6 months old.

There wasn't an adult in sight.

I was told that the mothers of the girls and the newborns would sit out of sight in the shadows as their children begged.

Edited by Mac Dude

Over here, we use a machine for that, with one bloke operating it and 100 on the dole queue saying that they can't find work.

This is why we need to - instead of detaining them - put refugees and asylum seekers to work.

They earn a wage and we don't have to lock them up.

Everyone kicks a goal.

I'd have to say on mainland Thailand. We went to Phuket on holiday a number of years back and we went onto the mainland for this tour. Along the way we saw some pretty run-down tenements.

I can't really remember an instance of seeing worse poverty, not counting the beggars and homeless people in cities.

Main-land Thailand for me also. Was in a province outside of Chiang Mia (somewhere) and we visited a tribe of long-neck people.

No idea how they get by...

Main-land Thailand for me also. Was in a province outside of Chiang Mia (somewhere) and we visited a tribe of long-neck people.

No idea how they get by...

If they at least tried drinking stubbies sometimes they'd save some cash. Some people just can't be helped.

1shot's bullshit impoverishes Atomic. You may have grown up poor by Australian standards, dude, but you've never known real poverty.

I've walked through some pretty bad slums in various bits of Indonesia and India, and plenty of poor districts in Malaysia, Chile, places like that. Yet to visit any seriously war-torn places, though.

It definitely does make you feel helpless and guilty. There are ways you can help, but giving beggars money on your holiday isn't much of a long-term solution.

Hrrrrm.

Three things off top of head...

1. Walking through the slums of Mumbai, India - the largest slums in the world, and watching little kids playing in their own fecal matter.

2. Again, in a part of Rajasthan in India, meeting a caste of people who intentionally chop off limbs at birth to use as a primary means to beg and make money.

3. In Indonesia, meeting a man who could not afford even a simple cart to carry his legless body around, so he would (daily) wrap a towel around the base of his body, and put string around a dog he had befriended to drag him around the street.

...yeah, this stuff changed me as a person. I consider myself less of a fu$king idiot/self centered wanker for hanging out with these people and trying to understand the lives they live. You know what the most amazing bit is? They are happy - yet, us, the comparatively "rich" people of this world are constantly sad, depressed, pissed off and end up with all kinds of lifestyle disorders as a result of our lives being "so difficult".

Go figure.

z

Edited by zebra

1shot's bullshit impoverishes Atomic. You may have grown up poor by Australian standards, dude, but you've never known real poverty.

And I'm the first to admit it. Australia, where even the poor people have colour televisions.

And I'm the first to admit it. Australia, where even the poor people have colour televisions.

I know some people so poor that they can't even afford Foxtel.

'

In a rural town of China, guy with one leg and arm rolling along in a DIY cart that was just about to fall apart, carrying groceries. He smiled when I took a photo, gives you something to think about. I've unfortunately lost the photo, lost my disposable camera :(

Edited by fenerli

'

that's me!

:|

'

OH MY GOD HOW DO THEY WATCH THE SIMPSONS MORE THAN FIVE TIMES A DAY?!!?

India was the worst I've seen. Central India up to New Delhi is pretty bad. I spoke a guy who seemed to be doing ok for himself, but even he had some pretty gruesome tales of hardship.

Top 5%, all of us here.

Edited by komuso

OH MY GOD HOW DO THEY WATCH THE SIMPSONS MORE THAN FIVE TIMES A DAY?!!?

DVD's.

Not even Blu-Rays.

Fucking DVD's man.

This shit is happening, right here in our country and the government just sits there and does nothing.

'

I haven't been around the world so pretty much the worse i've seen is in the city. Apparently though some of the homeless dudes at St James station have a little tv and dvd player.

Rwanda, Somalia, Gambia, Chad, Ethiopia, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Haiti, and Afghanistan.

Little drunk so I may remember more later.

I've slept on the street and gone without food for two and three days at a time.

The difference is that I could have walked into the Salvos and gotten relief right there, and the people in some of the examples given here couldn't.