Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Garband

Another AMD - Intel question thread...

Alright, well, in the midst of getting help in a thread, the boards moved up to V3.. So I figured I should repost (since the sticky sounds like this is a completely new archive and the old threads won't be added, and it was requested of me to tally up the price of my build and post) this. lol Sorry if I'm not supposed to. lol

You need all these things, for the lord has deemed them good and worthy! (That's me)

Seriously though the 4870X2 is the best card on the market at this point in time.... and may very well continue to be for a long time ahead! And as it's just over your budget... why the hell not, when I someone gives me a budget I get the best I can for it... even if I go slightly over. So if you don't want a 22" you can drop it down to a 20" thats cool.

But just a side note you may need a 750W PSU... sorry dude my bad!

so that PSU should be 129.99 and it should be the CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139006

Just add this to the list, and replace the monitor with the one you want... and then re-adjust the price for us... coz I can't be stuffed :P

Cooler Master RC-690 KKN1 -- $84.99

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R -- $129.99

MSI Radeon HD 4870 X2 -- $549.99

Corsair CMPSU-750TX -- $129.99

E8500 3.16GHz -- $189.99

G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) -- $76.99

Seagate 640GB -- $84.99

Samsung 2053BW 20" -- $219.99

Pioneer 20x -- $29.99

Thermalright Ultra-120 -- $59.99

Scythe S-Flex Sff21G -- $14.99

Sub-Total:: $1,571.89

But I have two more questions...

The mobo's standard memory is DDR2 1200.. But there's only 2GB DDR2 1200 ram.. Should I find a new mobo, or can I configure it in BIOS or something to read a different speed?

Also, should I get three of the Scythe fans since there's three 120mm places? lol

Speaking of which, the sub-total goes up to if I get 2 more $1,601.87 fans.

And, in addition to that, what version of Vista should I get?

Nice system

You have more than 3gb of ram, meaning you need 64bit if you wanna use it all.

Also, vista is a good choice, move forward.

Thusly Vista Home Premium 64bit

Add the additional fans and you will be laughing. Vista Home Premium 64bit would be a good idea.

Ram is configured as Dual Channel which is why people quote 2 X 2gb DDR2 RAM.

Overclocking is done in BIOS but that is a different topic all together.

Add the additional fans and you will be laughing. Vista Home Premium 64bit would be a good idea.

Ram is configured as Dual Channel which is why people quote 2 X 2gb DDR2 RAM.

Overclocking is done in BIOS but that is a different topic all together.

lol Why would I be laughing? I don't know how to take that.. lol

And, I guess I hit a wrong search filter or something... Newegg wasn't showing any 1066 2x2gb RAM items. But it is now.

And thanks for the suggestions.. I guess I'll be getting either this or this?

You will be laughing= Australian slang for you will be pleased/happy/content.

So in the case of "Add the additional fans and you will be laughing." means with the additional fans you will be pleased with the result.

:-)

As for which OS from your links

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders is what you want not the upgrade DVD.

Yeah hi mate, sorry I forgot to add and OS to that build for ya.

thing is though that fan is actually for the heatsink... you attach it to that... and then get much better cooling.

sorry about not making this clear before, but now it's all come together and your just about ready to purchase I presume?

You will be laughing= Australian slang for you will be pleased/happy/content.

So in the case of "Add the additional fans and you will be laughing." means with the additional fans you will be pleased with the result.

:-)

As for which OS from your links

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders is what you want not the upgrade DVD.

Ahh. Alright. Thanks for clearing that up. lol And, thanks for catching that. I didn't even notice it was an upgrade. lol

Yeah hi mate, sorry I forgot to add and OS to that build for ya.

thing is though that fan is actually for the heatsink... you attach it to that... and then get much better cooling.

sorry about not making this clear before, but now it's all come together and your just about ready to purchase I presume?

It's not a problem. lol

So, you're saying that I need 4 fans to cover each slot? lol

And, I was about ready to.. But then I found out my brother just got a new computer, so my parents are gonna help with some of the cost and we have to go over that before I do anything. I think I'm gonna be dropping the monitor for now ($1,739.76 before tax is a little harsh lol). Also, the heatsink is out of stock so I need to wait on that. lol

I also might be opting for a cheaper video card... Without the heatsink factored in and it's tax, I'm sitting at $1,880.86.. lol I'm starting to doubt my ability to get this build. lol

Nice system

You have more than 3gb of ram, meaning you need 64bit if you wanna use it all.

Also, vista is a good choice, move forward.

Thusly Vista Home Premium 64bit

Actually with a 2GB 4870X2 he would only be able to use ~2GB of system RAM.

It's not a problem. lol

So, you're saying that I need 4 fans to cover each slot? lol

And, I was about ready to.. But then I found out my brother just got a new computer, so my parents are gonna help with some of the cost and we have to go over that before I do anything. I think I'm gonna be dropping the monitor for now ($1,739.76 before tax is a little harsh lol). Also, the heatsink is out of stock so I need to wait on that. lol

I also might be opting for a cheaper video card... Without the heatsink factored in and it's tax, I'm sitting at $1,880.86.. lol I'm starting to doubt my ability to get this build. lol

No, Im not, just one fan to attach to the heat sink, that's it. The case comes with it's own fans. And how come it's blown out to such proportions. I thought it was around the $1600 mark?

Yeah unfortunately they stock any Noctua products either (WTF is up with that?) Anyway, just get this, it's quite a popular alternative to the Thermalright Ultra Extreme: The Tuniq Tower

No, Im not, just one fan to attach to the heat sink, that's it. The case comes with it's own fans. And how come it's blown out to such proportions. I thought it was around the $1600 mark?

Yeah unfortunately they stock any Noctua products either (WTF is up with that?) Anyway, just get this, it's quite a popular alternative to the Thermalright Ultra Extreme: The Tuniq Tower

Sorry. When I said "you're saying I need" I meant that it'd be 4 to cover the computer completely.. But I do believe it'd be best to just go with the heatsink fan for now...

It was around $1600 pre-tax. Newegg has a center in my state now, and my state has one of the highest sales taxes out there. It's sad really... And the OS added $123.

Also, I think I'll drop the monitor for now (which means I'm stuck with an old CRT monitor.. Boo)... It's pushing up the price quite a bit... Without the monitor, only one fan, and the Tuniq Tower the pre-tax is $1,464.80. Post-tax comes out to $1,623.16.

And before I drop the monitor; I once was told without a quality monitor it doesn't matter what video card you have, it'll look like crap. While I know this isn't completely true, how true is it?

Also, is on-board sound usually alright, or do I need to look for a sound card to put in the build? lol

with the price of LCDs going down all the time, youll be able to get an LCD for next to nix when you can afford it. besides, i still have my dual CRTs and the only thing i find is a disadvantage wiht them is the space they take. i will however, at some point, replace them.

Bumping Old threads is not good form. :( Please read the FAQ

Welcome to Atomic post often, have fun. :)

Hey mate, welcome to Atomic! This thread is ultra old (although I agree with your post :P). Try not to bump really old threads!