Sign in to follow this  
TazFromOz

Tomorrow When the War Began

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1456941/

Based on the first of seven books by acclaimed Australian author, John Marsden, Tomorrow When The War Began is the story of seven teenagers who return from a week-long camping trip to find that Australia has been invaded by a foreign power.

Banding together to fight gurellia-style agaist the enemy, this is not a typical heroic war movie - it is a terrifying situation where they must sometimes use little more than a knife or a belt to murder a soldier in cold blood. It's a graphic tale of the violence, the blood, the fear, and the insanity of war.

These kids are underdogs, they're not going to win the war, they're more likely to end up dead in a ditch than send the enemy retreating, but it's their land, their parents and friends in prison camps. They give a damn and they'd rather die fighting than give up.

Looks like it might be a win.

Something I read as a teenager and would probably like to see - looking forward to this movie!

Although I wonder, like I did when I first read the books, which fictional Asian country could possibly invade us so effectively? It just seemed a little too "fictional" for me.

I never heard of it before, but I recognised one of the cast members used to be on Neighbours. She played Rachel Kinksi-Kennedy.

It's been in development for aaages! But I read movie magazines, so I'm generally up to date on things. It's coming out early September, and looks like it's probably going to be pretty good. I read a big article about it in FilmInk yesterday, it seems in good hands. It's one of the defining pieces of literature from my teens, so is pretty important to me. Here's hoping it doesn't tank, and that they can go on to do sequels. They say they want to do at least a few sequels, then spin it off into a TV series for the final books.

Edited by Harmonic Cacophony

I never heard of it before, but I recognised one of the cast members used to be on Neighbours. She played Rachel Kinksi-Kennedy.

Kirk-Kennedy :P

Also, isn't she still in it? (neighbours)

It's been in development for aaages! But I read movie magazines, so I'm generally up to date on things. It's coming out early September, and looks like it's probably going to be pretty good. I read a big article about it in FilmInk yesterday, it seems in good hands. It's one of the defining pieces of literature from my teens, so is pretty important to me. Here's hoping it doesn't tank, and that they can go on to do sequels. They say they want to do at least a few sequels, then spin it off into a TV series for the final books.

That'd work. The series went downhill after the third book anyway. Though with Colin Farrell in it... is he playing the chalkie?

Tailgunner. Indonesia would have had a fairly good chance. High population and compulsory military service add up to a lot of ass kicking possibility.

Edited by TazFromOz

Kirk? Her dad's surname was Kinski and she married Susan Kennedy when she and Karl were divorced. He died, and their mother is dead too so Rachel and Zeke are now Susan's kids. Karl and Susan ended up back together, and the kids took the Kennedy name too.

Or so Ithought lol :P

I havent seen Neighbours in quite a while, i used to watch it religiously up until Bridget Parker died. Then it got shit. Rachel wasnt in it then, she might be back. She was written out I assume to have time to film this movie?

From what I recall, there were 7 books in the series.

EDIT: Yep, there were 7.

There were also a bunch of Ellie's Chronicles or whatever that came after. I only got around to reading a couple of those. They weren't that good.

Tailgunner. Indonesia would have had a fairly good chance. High population and compulsory military service add up to a lot of ass kicking possibility.

We had to read the books for English, and our teacher insisted that it was Indonesia, and we had to do reports on Indonesia and stuff. While they are the most likely, it doesn't quite fit. They don't have the wealth to fund the thousands of fighters/bombers that flew over in the first book. And even with their population, they wouldn't have a hope of securing all major cities and whatnot quick enough.

I actually read some well thought out stuff on this recently. I'll try to find it.

Had no luck. My GoogleFu is weak.

have to say, i'd never heard if it last time it was brought up (by Sap...i think) but found the title haunting and evocative.

dont know if any of that was coz the work was out there in the world for so long and had trickled into the back of my subconscious to now ring distant bells, but there is just something cool about the jolting grammar of that sentence. you immediately know that 'the war' was something big and era-defining and you know someone is re-living it in some poignant way, but its also about to happen now damnit. as titles go, its kick ass!

The trailer's been getting a bit of play the last few months in cinemas.

I've also never read the books. Worth checking out?

Edited by hectorbustnuts

Kirk? Her dad's surname was Kinski and she married Susan Kennedy when she and Karl were divorced. He died, and their mother is dead too so Rachel and Zeke are now Susan's kids. Karl and Susan ended up back together, and the kids took the Kennedy name too.

Or so Ithought lol :P

I havent seen Neighbours in quite a while, i used to watch it religiously up until Bridget Parker died. Then it got shit. Rachel wasnt in it then, she might be back. She was written out I assume to have time to film this movie?

I thought it was kirk, my bad, i havent watched it for years :P

Where am I getting Kirk-Kennedy from? =/

The trailer's been getting a bit of play the last few months in cinemas.

I've also never read the books. Worth checking out?

Yes, they're a very good book series. I read them between the ages of about 11 and 14, I guess. I can't remember, we had to read the first one several times for various classes throughout school.

I don't know how they'd stand up today, but I'd say very well. They're written in the first person by a teenage farm girl, as she sort of chronicles all their experiences with the war and stuff. The author is a male english teacher, but his female characters and 'voice' or whatever are excellent.

I may have to re-read the series again, I probably have them all in boxes somewhere. Should be able to read two or three of them before the movie comes out.

Do want :)

i brought all the books.. is that sad? :P

in other news.. Do want max barrys Syrup on film.. stat!

**cough** **cough** "Red Dawn" **cough**.

Nah, not stupidly nationalistic enough to be like Red Dawn. Also, school kids killing Spetznaz? What was up with that?

Since that last thread I posted, I've re-read the whole serious and really enjoyed it (though the ferals got a annoying for a book or so).

I'll be seeing this at the cinema's opening night.

i'm half-way through book #2

Mum and my sisters were keen on it when they first came out.

they shot the movie in the hunter valley, including Raymond Terrace and Dungog, two places I just visited again.

I remember the story and thinking it was about not-Indonesia invading Australia.

Hopefully the movie is good.

Taz I had it as my status on facebook a while ago as well as a link to the trailer when it first came out :P

Its going to be good just by looking at the trailer. I can't wait for it.

But the again i can't wait to watch Avatar the last airbender.

**cough** **cough** "Red Dawn" **cough**.

Nah, not stupidly nationalistic enough to be like Red Dawn. Also, school kids killing Spetznaz? What was up with that?

Yeah, at least in Tomorrow, they're only taking on the dregs of a spread-out force. They mostly fight green teenagers and crotchety old guys. With .22 rifles.

Mind you, I did see Red Dawn on TV recently, and the similarities are staggering.

Taz I had it as my status on facebook a while ago as well as a link to the trailer when it first came out :P

Its going to be good just by looking at the trailer. I can't wait for it.

But the again i can't wait to watch Avatar the last airbender.

But I thought Airbender was unanimously considered a terrible movie by everyone ever?a