Sign in to follow this  
robzy

Jailbreak now legal in the US

Apple loses big in DRM ruling: jailbreaks are "fair use"

The conclusion is sure to irritate Steve Jobs: "On balance, the Register concludes that when one jailbreaks a smartphone in order to make the operating system on that phone interoperable with an independently created application that has not been approved by the maker of the smartphone or the maker of its operating system, the modifications that are made purely for the purpose of such interoperability are fair uses."

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/20...re-fair-use.ars

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/862193913/...of-jail-is-free

Rob.

I'll put this here, mainly cause while it's appropriate Apple and Mobile Tech, it also has further reaching percussions than just phones.

Yeah, that's and interesting and fair interpretation.

I'm not sure how it fits in with the intent of the DMCA, but it's good to see a more liberal interpretation on these kind of things.

As for Steve Jobs, I'm not sure that he'll care overly much.

Maintaining the lock-in on the iPhone has never really benefitted Apple all that much. People buy the hardware, and 99% of people don't jailbreak. They are happy. It's always been about Apple being seen to fight on behalf of their telco friends.

Most likely failing to put this to court, would have been in violation of their contracts.

It's the same as DRM on iTunes. It's about keeping their "partners" happy, it doesn't really impact on Apple's bottom line.

Edit: It's not DCMA :P

Edited by TinBane

Part of me is thinking that Apple knows about the jailbreaking and only makes a "visible" attempt to complain about it, but secretly is happy because widespread knowledge of jailbreaking their product actually adds to its popularity. That is certainly what attracted me to get an iPhone, so they got my sale. Had the iPhone been impossible to break and there was no "side industry: surrounding the iPhone, I definitely would not have spent the money on it.

+1 for common sense to prevail.

www.jailbreakme.com

go to the site on the handset, swipe.. installed... done.

tested on a few iphones works well, even the iPhone 4..

Enjoy!

May be legal but they still try to stop it. I believe an iphone 4 on 4.03 is nou un jailbreakable, well at least for the time being.

www.jailbreakme.com

go to the site on the handset, swipe.. installed... done.

tested on a few iphones works well, even the iPhone 4..

Enjoy!

And a lot of little school kid idiots keep thinking it's funny to do it in the Apple Stores on the demo units. Joy to immaturity and retardedness.

Mmmm, may be legal but Apple aren't walking away without a fight - Traitorware??...

<short snip from the link>

Apple 'traitorware' can take your photo and shut down your jailbroken iPhone, iPad

APPLE has been accused of creating "traitorware" for trying to patent security software that tracks down people who jailbreak their iPhones and iPads and locks them out of their devices.

Jailbreaking allows users to access software and features for their devices that have not been sanctioned by Apple.

...Using the software, Apple can remotely access your sensitive information and data, ostensibly to determine if you are an “authorised user”....

...Among the information they can access, the system can take a flashless, undetectable photo of the users' face (with the iPhone 4's front-facing camera) and multiple photos of the surrounding location.

It can also record the users' voice regardless of whether they are making a phone call, monitor their internet usage and record the heartbeat and “vibration signature” of the user.

According to the patent application, if these identifiers do not match the "authorised" user, the system then determines if there is "suspicious behaviour"....

Full story in the link.

Oh, Leonid, where art thou?...

Interestingly, I installed ANZ goMoney app last night and got a popup saying it appears your device has been jailbroken, we cannot guarantee the safety of your transactions when using this application.