Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Director

G20 stormtroopers arrest hot chick for blowing bubbles.

Hot on the heels of the Black Bloc fiasco (cops dressing up and causing destruction at the G20 protests in an attempt to implicate protesters http://vimeo.com/13097041 ) now we have some humourless thug arresting a young chick for blowing bubbles in his general direction, after all that's assault and could do major damage if a bubble popped near him, unlike the completely safe tear gas and tasers that these guys use just for lulz.

So what happened during the "moments"?

Linked at the end of the video;

Rob.

Rob.

Not quite the whole story that the title indicates. Almost no story.

Should have read "arrested for having a number on her arm" which of course is a gross violation of the Canadian anti-terrist act.....

wankers.

That doesn't seem to have anything more. I only got about half way through the video though and got tired of a clearly biased testimony - is the video of what happened actually in there?

Director seems to think that because they have the voice over on at the same time as several suggestions were being made it was because of an arm number, I'm surprised he didn't say it was because of the backpack 'cause I can't see the number on her arm. Either way it's still an assumption. They clearly didn't have the camera taken from them, where's all the video?

Edited by tantryl

Rob.

Thanks for that robzy. Though it still doesn't indicate what happened to the ' bubble girl ' exactly.

Possibly the backpack...* shrugs *

That doesn't seem to have anything more. I only got about half way through the video though and got tired of a clearly biased testimony - is the video of what happened actually in there?

Director seems to think that because they have the voice over on at the same time as several suggestions were being made it was because of an arm number, I'm surprised he didn't say it was because of the backpack 'cause I can't see the number on her arm. Either way it's still an assumption. They clearly didn't have the camera taken from them, where's all the video?

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option...mp;jumival=5367

In a statement to the Sun, Winkels stressed she wasn’t arrested for blowing bubbles.

“The fact is that the bubbles had nothing to do with my arrest,” she said. “The reason I was arrested is because I was wearing a backpack and had a lawyer’s phone number written on my arm. This number was given out by lawyers, and they advised us to have it written somewhere on our bodies.”

The 20-year-old was a volunteer street medic at the G20 and said she “wasn’t even protesting.”

“My medical supplies were taken and suggested they could be used as evidence for my charge,” she said.

Court records show she is charged with one count of conspiracy to commit mischief over $5,000.

Winkels said she was talking to another officer when “Officer Bubbles” came over and angrily told her to put her bubbles away.

“I was having a conversation with the female officer,” she said. “She asked me my name, and I preferred not to give it. If she had asked me to identify myself to the police, I would have shown them my ID which I was carrying in my pocket, however, she was talking to me person to person, not officer to civilian.”

Winkels asked the female officer if her bubbles were bothering her.

“She laughed and shrugged her shoulders, which I perceived as a ‘No big deal!’” she said. “After this point, Officer Bubbles stormed over and said what he said on the video.”

Winkels said she put the bubbles away and the officer went away.

She was later swept up with others when arrests were made at Queen St. W. and Noble St. in Parkdale.

On the youtube comments for the video , there's the girl from the video defending herself - she says that she wasn't blowing the bubbles into the officer's face but into the empty space beside them and that the video was cut because the police was arresting alot of people near her and they couldn't film all the time. See for yourself it's courtneyxx89

http://mobilebroadcastnews.com/MBN/categor...ourtney-Winkels

Courtney Winkels, a volunteer medic, who was blowing bubbles at Police Officers and was

arrested for conspiracy to commit mischief although the Officer had

threatened to arrest for assault

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-jay/bur...s_b_650095.html

The police line you see in the video was stopping people from walking near the G20 convergence space, a place where people opposed to the G20 gathered to eat, sleep, and discuss. On this day, police were detaining a group heading home to Montreal, and minutes after the bubbles incident, they quickly sealed in Winkels and everyone else that had gathered to watch. Winkels was one of roughly twenty to be arrested, while dozens more were detained for more than two hours. Those not arrested were only released after showing identification, submitting to a search, and filling out a 'contact card' that goes on their file at the police department-- all representing violations of Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

There's more to the story, much of which is contained in another video published in conjunction with 'Officer Bubbles'. In fact, the 'Officer Bubbles' video was intended to be no more than an 'appendix' to the longer video. The 'appendix' was intended in order to show all the footage we had of that particularly curious, and now famous, exchange. Intention, however, plays no role in the wacky world of YouTube. For only a few days later, Nazrul and I found ourselves watching a panel of law professionals on Fox News debating the legality of arresting someone for blowing bubbles. (For the record, host and lawyer Megyn Kelly concluded the segment by siding with the cop, calling Winkels a "punk.")

As for Winkels, now released she faces charges of 'Conspiracy to Mischief.' According to her, the charges were pressed after medical supplies were discovered in her bag. If that's the case, Winkels would be one of numerous street medics and others carrying protective equipment to be jailed amongst the roughly 1100 organizers, residents, concerned parents, journalists, and other people that made up the largest mass arrest in Canadian history.

So, the focus on whether or not Winkels should be arrested for blowing bubbles, while understandably entertaining, is yet another shift away from discussing what really happened in Toronto. Much of the Canadian media has fixated on individual cases of police misconduct, debating whether or not individual officers abused their authority. I know because I was the subject of a similar debate after being punched in the face by an officer while filming police misconduct. In the numerous interviews I did on my experience, my attempts to situate the attack in the broader context was routinely edited out in favor of framing the event as a personal interest story, stripped of all context and significance. Viewers were left cursing (or praising) one overly aggressive officer instead of pondering the systemic violation of peoples' rights to assembly, expression, due process, free press, and freedom from unreasonable search and seizure.

Still further from the light is any investigation as to who ordered such a citywide violation, and more importantly, why?

http://www.benedictionblogson.com/2010/07/...fficer-bubbles/

Constable Adam Josephs works at Toronto’s 52 Division, and if you think he has psychological and anger management issues you can express your concerns to 52′s Community Relations Officer Constable Michael Moffatt at (416) 808-5291. Erosion of public trust and respect in police puts public safety in jeopardy.

Here is what Josephs thinks about his role with Torontonians he serves and protects. This is from his Facebook page which has been removed after this incident gained attention across Canada and in the US on Fox News. While the Fox News Kelly’s Court discussion is US-centric (DA instead of Crown) it is interesting.

Constable Josephs Facebook self-job description:

“I collect human garbage”

Edited by Director

"Hot chick" ????

the "storm troopers" part was more accurate.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Typical hippy shit

Yep. One troublemaker gets arrested, and they then go and blow it all out of proportion and it gets international attention.

Every time there's any sort of multi-national meeting with an economic theme, these bludgers just go out and trash public and private property and cost the taxpayer further hundreds of thousands due to the law-enforcement requirements to control them.

They piss and moan about so-called injustices committed by corporations and honest hard-working people, yet most of these layabouts are living off the public purse as "jobseekers" or doing cushy Arts degrees that will do little to help them ever become useful, contributing members of society.

Do try to look at the world outside of the narrow lenses of the MSM dude, this was but one of many 'false' arrests at the G20 and the ONLY damage that I'm aware of was that caused by the so called 'Black Bloc' which were cops dressed up as protesters in order to cause trouble. Also try to figure out what they ACTUALLY protesting...hint, it aint about honest people and honest corporations making an honest profit.

And by "contributing members of society" do you mean mindless worker bees who can't think for themselves but are happy to waste their lives doing a pointless job AND having the majority of their earnings stolen by thieving corporatised governments then I guess you're right..and I don't blame them. But if that's how they CHOOSE to live their lives and they aren't hurting anyone then why should they be persecuted by moronic militarised police forces for it? Maybe we should just declare anyone who opposes or questions the state to be mentally insane and have them all shot?

Edited by Director

So, you're saying then, if the "worker bees" don't like the system, don't bother participating in it?

What shits me also about these sorts of people (the protestors) is that 99% of them will tirelessly slag off modern day society and technology and all of it's perceived flaws, yet quite happily lap up all of the benefits it has to offer.

What I gathered from the video;

* The cop is short on patience

* He asked her to stop and warned her she would be booked (obviously there is a rule backing him here, no matter how stupid).

* She's got a funny surprised face.

Edited by spaced

Some people are not people persons.

Sure, be a cop and stand your ground...but for fuck sake don't show them that you are scared of bubbles.

I could understand if he said "If that 12 guage shotgun you are pointing at me discharges I am going to have to arrest you"

But fucking bubbles?

So, you're saying then, if the "worker bees" don't like the system, don't bother participating in it?

What shits me also about these sorts of people (the protestors) is that 99% of them will tirelessly slag off modern day society and technology and all of it's perceived flaws, yet quite happily lap up all of the benefits it has to offer.

I believe it's possible to have all the benefits WITHOUT the main flaws, we just have to fight to get it back...

Some people are not people persons.

Sure, be a cop and stand your ground...but for fuck sake don't show them that you are scared of bubbles.

I could understand if he said "If that 12 guage shotgun you are pointing at me discharges I am going to have to arrest you"

But fucking bubbles?

I'm with you mate. This sort of crap is why cops have a bad name with a lot of people.

If you watch the female cop beside him, her initial reaction is one of complete surprise as well.

There's plenty of funny parodies up on Youtube now about "Officer Bubbles".