twinair

OK, so WTF is going on with Atomic?

I thought the most recent decline was due to the bloody footy / soccer etc...

Will it never bloody end !!

Also parts of plebs and Mr Friendly's posts make sense.

It's becoming more like a failing business model than a community, sure there are spats and things are said that are uncalled for, I'm guilty of that I know, but when something as minimal as the acquisition of a mouse for the winner of the POTM, something many of our funny and knowledgeable members strive for, becomes an issue because the company who've taken ownership wont pay for it, I think it sends a strong message to the masses.

Hmm... Now that you mention it, I agree this is one area where the *ods can encourage community involvement. A mouse or random bit of hardware wouldn't go astray, and the relatively insignificant costs might be justified by the extra traffic it would generate. I'm pretty sure a POTM section advertising the chance to win a mouse is what attracted me from the magazine to the forums in the first place. I figure there's probably issues with bureaucracy preventing this, working out where the money comes from if not from a sponsor.

More frequent hero announcements would be another thing. It's a great way to recognise contributors, and I reckon there's more than a few here who are now worthy.

The rank theme days have been fun, it'd be good to see that sort of thing happen more often. Maybe tie it in with major game releases or current events in the tech world.

Ok, let's at least try and keep this thread somewhat on-topic.

FTR, we've been having lengthy discussions about the direction of the forum.

Sharing is caring.

As mods, we can't do much about PoTM apart from suggest the posts and ask the community for input - which I've tried in the past to a rather lacklustre outcome as can be seen via the posting in the PoTM threads.

More frequent hero's kinda reduces the impact that they have I reckon.

Well does anyone have any ideas how to get people signing up and posting?

To be honest in the last couple of weeks I've been on BC2 as "mudg3" and 4 different people asked if I was from atomic.

I asked if who they were and they all replied "naa I don't post but I look every day". Even when I started my new job most of the guys there new about the atomic forums and had even seen my user tag a couple of times (It helped me get the job believe it or not)

I think the traffic is there but we aren't getting many quality topics posted. I think alot of there is a problem with how the new kids get treated though. they make a post and are pretty much shot down by someone posting a let me google that for you link or something smart ass and not really helping at all.

Fuck I've even been guilty of it but thats just one thing that needs to change

Most vigorous discussions are shut down or deleted before they hardly get started.

I beg to differ:

To ban or not to ban.

I mainly believe it's a cycle, once something pops up, there's heated activity by the community, after that, if something doesn't cover the transition from that discussion to something of importance, activity slows down.

I'm not talking about threads that are still there or able to be posted in.

I agree with Max, more frequent hero announcements reduce the impact of them. But that said, I think Tasty is onto something with more community involvement and interaction.

I also would like to stick up for Twinny and others who have a valid point in this, they are not trolling or cryfasing, they are trying to discuss something.

Ill admit, I used to be a very frequent poster, I dont have the stats to prove it like some of our heavy users, but its true, I spent much time here. Recently, ive not spent as much time here, but not because of anything to do with members here or events happening here turning me off. My real life has been a bit busy lately, and to be honest, most of the stuff going on I havent been able to discuss openly and publicly online.

I think I have been here long enough to be able to talk about the "good old days". Things have changed around here. There is no denying that. People have come and gone, things have changed, and eras have ended.

I like to think back to what originally drew me here in the first place...enthusiasm. From both myself and others. Maybe from myself as an overly keen newbie, but definately from other proud established Atomicans. I too feel that especially these days, the enthusiasm has died down a bit. I cant say why this is, I have no theories. Its just a feeling.

I still carry a torch for Atomic, I still love you all and love the place. Maybe we are all just past the honeymoon stage of our relationship. We need something to keep the spark and romance alive.

Normally, people would take a holiday or a trip. You can do that here, you can take a break from the place and come back fresh. You can try a seperation period and go flirt with another forum and another community.

But i think we all really want this to work here...we dont want another forum or another community. There is nothing wrong with needing or recognising you need something to keep the spark or romance alive. I think we have lost alot of spontaniety, and things we found amusing and cute before are now irratating and have little tolerance for.

We are seriously like an old married couple.

Lets just think about what originally attracted us here, and what kept us here so long, what it was that we just cant let go of and still stick around for.

For me, its all of you. I think for alot of people, it would be the same draw card, the people and personalities, the community. If people started leaving here, I wouldnt find it as fun or as great. Id think about leaving too if everyone else did :(

I dont know how to fix that though. We can start with more interaction and more of the classic Atomic we fell in love with. The classic Atomic is in all of us, in our better days. I can openly admit that recently I have not been in perfect form, far from it. I should try harder. I have been neglecting you.

Basically, I think there was something in the old lines of "community spirit" that we all used to say back in the day and scoffed at for being over the top wanky. Sure, it is a bit dorky, but its true. Who are we kidding, we are all a bit dorky and geeky at heart.

There has always been politics around here, and differing opinions. But at the end of the day, we were all Atomicans and that was the important thing, and if at all, our redeeming quality...I think that magic has been lost, that line of thought is gone. And that is the difference. People have stopped caring. It's rather sad :(

It isnt totally gone though I guess, its nice to see with Meet X people still care enough to come together. I really am looking forward to the Meet :)

I've had a discussion privately about this, I'm not changing any of my posts to reflect decisions I have made as it has always seemed odd to me for people to do that, if there is no record of the past then we have no way of learning for the future.

this discussion brought about a different way of thinking, as it is I don't go into the tech sections (except for tech talk), I don't know of the impact being felt by the technologically minded members of the community. reading through everything though I can see the effect of it though. If that part of the forums is to still exist, then yes, something needs to alter. I only really go into the gaming forums yet it's all parts of the forums that make Atomic the community it is, it has taken something like this for me to truly see that, I know that I will still probably play no part in those sections apart from the casual glance to see if I can help anyone out or asking a question myself there, yet without life in these sections would Atomic have ever existed?

More frequent hero's kinda reduces the impact that they have I reckon.

At the moment, the system is geared towards well established members. This is good, but to some extent it limits and even precludes the involvement of new members. Announcing fewer heros more often has a few advantages. For starters, it keeps the community dynamic. Members that would otherwise come and go before the annual announcement was made would get to see atomic history in the making, bringing the community closer together.

The standards should remain the same, and the announcement definitely shouldn't be something regular. A sporadic announcement made as a person earns the title would be most effective in my opinion. It allows for a more immediate feedback mechanism, and encourages speculation and healthy competition amongst new members.

Edited by tastywheat

People have been talking about Atomic going to the dogs from time to time, yet here we all are. And I think we will still be around for years to come:)

Some examples:

http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp...;c=4&t=4275

http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp...;c=4&t=2573

Mod complaint threads are to many to mention, lol.

http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp...;c=4&t=4254

http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp...;c=4&t=4224

Edited by bowiee

For a while there were numerous heroes announced rather frequently. But when was the last Hero announcement? And the one before that?

What drew me here was the creativity and passion for technology and pushing it. The passion is still around, but the creativity is only in tiny pockets now. When's the last computer/anything mod been done? There's a few arcade machines that have been built and that's it. They barely get noticed around here anymore. Games sure, but people pushing their tech and doing things with it that you weren't meant to?

When was the last time you saw something like the LED Tacho indicator that Darkkon, Goth and others all worked on together?

When's the last time Dan Rutter took something apart because he could? (btw I'd love to see how the new XBox 360 differs internally to the older one)

What brought me here has significantly faded. I stick around for a few people.

It's certainly an interesting topic, and I think this thread has been host to many valuable insights already :-) Certainly it has yielded a lot of quality food for thought.

A lot of us who are posting here in this thread are going to be influenced by our personal investment in the site - we care about Atomic :-) And that's a great thing to have under our belts. Even the frustrations and the angst the community experiences may hide this truth at its core - people care about Atomic, they care about the wellbeing of this place and it colours their reactions, for good or ill.

Like many things in life, however, this sense of care can be a double-edged blade, especially as the forum grows older. It's a natural progression, that people feel personal attachment to and pride in something they invest a lot of time in. A strong or even over-inflated sense of entitlement is a natural result of familiarity in an environment and personal investment in a situation. After all, a lot of us have spent a lot of time here over the years :-) This can add an extra layer of complexity to forum interactions; again, for good or ill.

People have their own motivations and their own reasons for posting (or not posting, as the case may be), and that adds an entirely new layer of complexity. Already in this thread we can see people volunteering their personal motivations, and that does provide us with valuable insight. The computing landscape has changed, Atomic has changed, the userbase has changed. Like plebs mentioned earlier, I'm not entirely convinced that the cyclic nature of the forums is the definitive answer here - I think it's entirely possible it's a contributing factor but I think it could be folly to reduce a very complex situation to a simplistic overview such as that.

That we're even having this discussion can be viewed as a positive thing, because it means that people do care about this place, it means people are paying attention to what's happening. And I'd much rather debate and discussion on a topic such as this, than mild complacency :-)

So, those who run this joint...what gives? What are you doing about it?

What are you doing about it? :-) What am I doing about it, or this or that person? You've certainly posed a valid question here, twinair, and whilst it has been pointed out that we all have a hand in this situation, it is also true that there are some things the general userbase (necessarily) can't be across.

hmmm, some good posts in here, some good insights into the delicious minds of Atomicans :-)

edit: tags

Edited by elvenwhore

Imho green room has never been equivalent to quality in the first place.

I would therefore say this is normal for the green room, and that when it's not of a low standard, I'd call it odd.

My biggest problem is the only good place to post is in the tech section which I like but would like to post more in the green room but I usually don't because one of three things will happen:

1. Someone will be a cunt cause im not part of the close knit club.

2. I will have to clarify something that is common knowledge or a minor detail for example about 5-6 times.

3. The thread turns into a pissing match cause someone doesn't think anyone elses opinion is valid.

So I stay in the tech sections where there is minimal BS lately.

I've been on Atomic since the third day of the forums' operation.

The present level of activity is slower than any time I remember - slower even than during the Rugby World Cup and the last 3 FIFA World Cups.

I can suggest a solution: don't ban people because they stay within the rules and piss others off. Cause then you may as well ban me, Juggs, plebs, twinny, Logic, Middy, chrisg and Ry and then have the remaining 10 prolific users of this forum participate in site-wide exercises of vehement agreement.

Ban people when they actively break the rules, clearly and comprehensively - not because some users decided they didn't like their atrocious grammar corrected or the flaws in their argument micro-dissected.

In other words, it's time for another amnesty - at this low point of traffic, I'd be happy to see even TheSecret, just_some_guy and The_End re-instated. Fuck, bring back Orestes and the weirdo equine - lets get some life into this place.

Edited by Leonid

I'd rather no posts than shit posts. The only person I wanted to see back from the amnesty was R/R, who's moved well and truly on. All we ended up getting back with it were big-noters and threadshitters who serve no purpose but to demonstrate why forums have a ban function to start with.

(With all apologies to anyone who's come back with quality and escaped my attention :p)

Juggs came back, and that rocked my world. In fact, the amnesty in general rocked my world. If you think it was a negative thing, well then, that is your loss.

This is the kind of attitude I was talking about earlier, whats with that? Just because you dont agree with them or dont like them much doesnt make them less valuable here. They are highly valuable here.

1shot was recently banned, I will truely miss him around here. He taught me so much. I like to think i get along with him, but I know there were times we didnt lol.

Yes, I would sometimes find his pedantry very annoying, but you know what? He taught me a very valuable lesson in being thorough to the enth degree. Times when I really needed to cover my arse at work, id think "what would 1shot do" and think about any little loop hole or semantics that could leave me wide open. LOL yes, I asked myself "what would 1shot do" bwahaha :)

But not only that, he made me more aware of my own actions, and others. He taught me to be careful and thorough. Not an easy lesson to learn, but he did it well from just being himself. I really do thank him for it. My god he annoyed me sometimes, but he knows I love him. I do, Sam, if you are out there reading :)

It might not be clear to you now, or ever, but his influence here was big, and many others who you deem as thread shitters and big noters, you might not agree with their methods, but if you sit back and watch objectively for a while, you will learn something from them.

Even people i dont get along with are valuable to me. I never got on well with Grams for example, but she is another who taught me a very important lesson, 2 actually.

Maybe its just attitude, I have a pretty positive attitude with members here, not everyone shares my attitude though, I guess. You dont have to like them or get on with them, but to deny their value and quality is really stupid. They absolutely are worthy of their tags and place here.

/shrugs

Leonid:

If we banned people based on if they pissed others off, that list of people would already be gone.

They aren't.

The mod team doesn't ban anyone, based on public sentiment.

There are users on atomic who have been RTMed an insane amount of times.

It doesn't seem to correlate with being banned.

I don't think another amnesty is going to fix "what's wrong" with this place.

If there is community sentiment that the atomic forums have to change, then the community needs to drive those changes.

I think there are a lot of users who simply don't post as much, and it would be nice if we could ask them why.

Maybe that's what we need. An anonymous atomic community survey, filled out by the lurkers.

Maybe you should be looking at the RTMers?

It's always the same jokers, right?

They lose, or have lost an argument and their recourse is to constantly RTM people because they don't agree with their views.

It's all this under the counter stuff and then the blatant denials and cover ups that really piss people off.

i have been here for a few years and like nessy i live in the hardware section.

i have noticed a few users drop off.

the main contributers in hardware are nesquick, sceptrecore, osama_bin_athlon, mudge and a few others, not nearly as many as there used to be.

i am off work for a few weeks and have quickly grown board on this forum due to lack of posts and lack of new reviews on hardware which is why i came here in the first place.

i like helping people out with there problems or posting my own, there just isnt much of that going on these days.

i love this forum and the people on it but i need more stimulation.

i (like alot of other users here) have ventured over to ocau for a look and that place..... man its busy.

why else do you think people are told in trademart (you wont get that price here better post on ocau)

what as a user would like here: prizes however small just something an atomic t-shirt ?

how about an overclocking comp of some sort ?

show us your game room/den thread

we need new stuff

how about a hsf roundup

watercooling kit roundup

cpu charts like tomshardware used to do

vga charts like tomshardware

i think atomic staff should get together browse the ocau and other sites and see what atomic doesnt have improve from there.

this is what i think and what no one else will say.

/end rant

Edited by AMD AKIMBO

I've been on Atomic since the third day of the forums' operation.

The present level of activity is slower than any time I remember - slower even than during the Rugby World Cup and the last 3 FIFA World Cups.

I can suggest a solution: don't ban people because they stay within the rules and piss others off. Cause then you may as well ban me, Juggs, plebs, twinny, Logic, Middy, chrisg and Ry and then have the remaining 10 prolific users of this forum participate in site-wide exercises of vehement agreement.

Ban people when they actively break the rules, clearly and comprehensively - not because some users decided they didn't like their atrocious grammar corrected or the flaws in their argument micro-dissected.

In other words, it's time for another amnesty - at this low point of traffic, I'd be happy to see even TheSecret, just_some_guy and The_End re-instated. Fuck, bring back Orestes and the weirdo equine - lets get some life into this place.

No... IMHO the last amnesty was a mistake, too many trolls came back , they were banned for a reason the first time {:)

People have been talking about Atomic going to the dogs from time to time, yet here we all are. And I think we will still be around for years to come:)

Some examples:

http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp...;c=4&t=4275

http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp...;c=4&t=2573

Mod complaint threads are to many to mention, lol.

http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp...;c=4&t=4254

http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp...;c=4&t=4224

These mini shit-storms are usually started by peeps that are upset about a decision , so they act up to get their way, they should be ignored like the tantrum throwing children that they are.

If they don't like it so much here, there are other places they can go, no one is forcing them to be here.

Edited by Waltish

It wasn't a real amnesty anyway.

You had to apply to come back so many old users didn't bother. A lot that did, didn't like the 'terms and conditions' of coming back.

Hence, many, like R/R are still MIA.

Edited by LogicprObe