twinair

OK, so WTF is going on with Atomic?

is because people like twinny up there will add to the 'real life purchase' thread, unstead of making a new one about models.

That was my plan...but what I'm saying is, it's a pain in the arse to do so. Perhaps I;ll get to it, one day.

Public dropbox\skydrive fixes a lot of those hastles.

Yeah they have transfer limits, but we dont have the traffic atm to exhaust that :)

Not really.

Phone -> Dropbox -> post on Atomic.

Or

Phone -> post on Facebook.

There's still a middle man.

Most activity is in the green room. If ya removed it, the place would be dead.

I could post a lot more things in the Green room but i use "Whats on your mind" as it is on my mind ,lol.

That's what Twitter, Insta, Snapchat, and to a lesser extent Facebook are for. People who care about YOU will follow you. Not an entire thread with everyone's random thoughts. Those other platforms are much more appropriate and effective. Maybe the only benefit of that thread on Forums is the ability to post a long reply. Facebook can allow that.

@MS and twinny. I have an app that works ok with the forums, better than using a web browser anyway. But it's a still significantly inferior UX. As you say twinny, the barrier of sharing the info is just too high.

There is a plugin that allows @ style notifications to users on phpBB boards but you have to be on the right version of the forum software.

Forums are clunky.

Secondly some posters disagree on putting personal things in these forums ,so put it in WOYM and it gets lost faster.

Correction codecreeper

You don't like the response some people give to your " personal things ". Which, in all fairness, you don't have to like the response.

But it's wrong of you to say that some posters disagree with you posting them. It's more that there might be disagreement with the

content. The disagreement is not that the content is "personal things ", and that's also a fair call. ...see? :)

/ end derail.

Maybe areas should be redefined so posters can see areas more clearly. Too many threads on same topics does get boring most of them are technical responses to another thread.

We could a technical discussion thread defined as GPU's ,CPU's and Motherboard design. And then Peripherals and storage methods.

Well, seems like it's a good opportunity to gather the kids around the fireplace and tell and a good old fahioned story :)

I'd be telling a porky if I said Atomic was anything like it used to be, but we all know that's true. The mag is long gone, likely never to return. The site has been rolled into PCTA , and now that we're in company with Hyper and PCPP, Atomic's even lower on the rungs of importance. It's sad, but it's true.

And that's not based on neglect, either, though I know it is easy to think that is the case. But I put a lot of hard yards into these forums and community, and into the magazine. Into the whole brand, really. But the truth was - as I've said many times - Atomic was in decline before I even came on the scene. Ultimately, Atomic's decline is no one person's fault - it's just that people moved on. It is sad, as I said, but it's also natural.

Which leaves us where we are now. It says a lot that this is the first time I've posted on the site in... well, outside of the GW thread, in years. I'm not going to lie - in a very real sense, I too got over these forums. They take a lot, you know, and those of you who know me know that every little emergency on these boards really hit me hard. So, I just don't have the energy; truth be told, it feels really odd to even be chatting again, and to be honest I'm not entirely comfortable here these days - I'm not trying to say 'woe is me', but I think I'm probably not alone in feeling that. People have drifted away from Atomic for all kinds of reasons - for me, it's because investing in this place was really, really unhealthy for me in the long run.

Now, that aside, what are our 'plans' for Atomic? Well, Atomic does not live in isolation; it is part of a larger stable of brands now. And it remains, as Chaos has said, a solid little traffic generator - so we're not looking at closing things yet. If I did have my druthers, yeah, we'd merge away and have a single forum for all of our brands, but that's an oddly hard argument to make here. And I'll be honest - when I hear people talk about more integration with the mags and other content, I know how that's worked in the past - it really doesn't have any measurable impact. So, for the time being, we're happy to have Atomic coasting along as it does. You guys really do look after yourselves these days. Things may be quieter, but I don't see that as a necessarily bad thing. And those who point out the impact of other social medias are quite right - I always hate to agree with Twinny (:P) but Facebook is much easier, not only as as a user, but also as a content creator. We get more traffic from FB than we ever did from the forums in terms of article numbers, and we have thriving communities there, not to mention other feeds on Twitter. SocMed is big stuff, and that's a lot of my focus right now.

I wish there was more that I could say, but from our point of view, the forum continues to be a quiet success. We're not planning on shutting it down any time soon. If there is more that you guys would like done, chat to the mods - they really do run the place far more than I do these days, and I trust each of them implicitly to do what's best for both every user here, and the community as a whole.

That's a bit rambly, but I hope it helps :)

• Like 5

G'Day Dave.

Nice to hear from you again.

I completely understand your reasons, and your predicament. I only resurrected this thread to see if it dragged some skeletons out of the closet...and that it did :)

I'm not criticising or debating, merely rambling.

I too felt a sense of unhealthiness when I was a very active member here. This place consumed a large portion of all our lives, for a significant time period. That will cause people behave in weird and wonderful (sometimes not so wonderful) ways.

At the end of the day, it is what it is, we are what we are.

I think, despite the fact I haven't posted here in a very long time, that it's always been nice to be able to drop in and say hello, mingle with people from a bygone era.

That means a lot to me, and I dare say it means a lot to everyone here. I do keep in touch with many, many Atomicans...but yes, it's pretty much all via Facebook now. Which is because we all haveSmartphones and we are no longer slaves to our desk chairs. Yet with this new technology, we can still keep in touch with each other regularly. There's absolutely no way to change Atomic to accommodate this. But who knows, maybe there is.

The fact Atomic forum is still here at all makes me smile.

So do with it what you need to. As you said, now with the downturn in traffic, this place kind of looks after itself, moderation wise.

As far as the costs associated with watering and feeding, I don't know.

I don't know if it's a tiny expense or a large expense. Or even if it's a non-financial expense

If there's anything I can do in any way to help, please just send me a PM.

Happy to do what I can to help an old mate. My old mate Atomic...and all of its people :)

• Like 1

Nice post Hawkeye .

So the light is still on.

One thing that annoys me about these forums is it complexity in posting links from other sites and such. But as you said Facebook is more popular for its ease of use. I now have a Avatar pic took me ages how to work out what to do.

But when you have not learned programming some of those instructions is like really hard to understand.

Back to Facebook i only use it for links to news sites and gaming sites that is about it. As for social contact i avoid that like a plague.

One thing that annoys me about these forums is it complexity in posting links from other sites and such. But as you said Facebook is more popular for its ease of use. I now have a Avatar pic took me ages how to work out what to do.

But when you have not learned programming some of those instructions is like really hard to understand.

I'm not a code monkey, but forum tags aren't really that difficult to get a grasp on. If you don't know how to embed an image or a YouTube clip in a post, best thing to do is quote someone who has done it and then the code will show up. Then just replace their link with yours, using the same tags.

Bingo...done.

• Like 1

Site is getting slow ,must be all the postings.

Code Monkey ? hmmm.....

Well embedding things is not easy. But i am learning.

One huge thread with a zillion posts does tend to probably give the indexing system a real workout I'm guessing.

Code Monkey ? hmmm.....

If you need any help, just ask. Plenty of helpful people around here dude.

• Like 1

Those 'all in one' threads in the green room are raping our success.....

They're damaging to fraffic. The reason we dont have topic drift off front page as quickly, is because people like twinny up there will add to the 'real life purchase' thread, unstead of making a new one about models.

We've never been once to be scared of repetitive topics. People just stay out if they're not interested.

make new threads people!

It might have been purely a timing thing, or not, but when WOYM got pulled a lot of posters went with it. ... just saying.

Also, at the time of that conversation ;) the talk was of the decline of atomic and the pulling of the thread was given as a way

to enhance more thread making ... it didn't happen though. Sure, threads were still put up but not in any wondrously improved

numbers. As has been said many many times people that post in those threads, do not want to make a singular thread. For

whatever the reason the idea is a passing comment or two only. Maybe they don't want to spend the time thinking they must look after

their thread so it continues, and they don't want, or have the time to do that.

In the end it was said the thread went because information was divulged that was legally not on... or some such.

edit: And you know what ? All those pushing for the removal of the WOYM and it's type never really bothered

to get behind the " let's all post individual threads ". It was like a group were saying how they expected us all to

communicate ... like the boot came down and those that could escape it ran away, barely never to return.

most annoying ! ;)

Edited by eveln

Do you think removing the original one cause a lot of people to disappear? I didn't think that was the case. Then again, I haven't really posted here in years...but it certainly wasn't because that thread was removed.

Caused*

Removing WOYM is not a solution it cause posters to leave these forums.

Why not split topics up that get posted in WOYM.

"Do you think removing the original one cause a lot of people to disappear?"

I've already said above it may just have been a timing thing ... but various social media had already begun to impact atomic

quite a bit. Those that wanted to have their like-minded friends only convos rushed to them with gusto.

But that's why the conversation about WOYM began, or so it seemed to me.

And that's why I like atomic sooo much. People don't have to agree with me or even like what I do ... it's fascinating.

Admittedly, when I first came here I found ^^ that very confronting, but now, I welcome that ;)

It was the mentality at that time. I found it very strange that some wanted to curtail flash point random thoughts from being

posted . Some really whacky things were posted in the original WOYM, by truly original and whacky individuals << I mean that

in a wholly positive way, whacky is a good thing.

Edited by eveln

And that's why I like atomic sooo much. People don't have to agree with me or even like what I do ... it's fascinating.

Admittedly, when I first came here I found ^^ that very confronting, but now, I welcome that ;)

Well that's the interesting thing about forums in general, which sets them apart from Facebook.

With Facebook I am in complete control, like it's my own forum and I am the only moderator. I pick and choose who I want to be my friends. Discussions that I have on my Facebook pics and posts are all generally light hearted, polite and void of slander and foul language, of sorts.

Forums, and specifically this one, everyone is welcome. When you open your doors to anyone and everyone you will invariably get conflicts. And that's what I like about it too. Not the conflicts, as such.

But the broad nature of users and opinions.

There used to be some fkn great stinks in the Green Room. It was both fascinating and hilarious. Unless you were a mod. Then, no matter what decision you made, no matter what button you pushed...someone or a group of people, would always get their knickers in a knot. And that made it even more hilarious.

Good times. So much fun and good times.

Well that's the interesting thing about forums in general, which sets them apart from Facebook.

With Facebook I am in complete control, like it's my own forum and I am the only moderator. I pick and choose who I want to be my friends. Discussions that I have on my Facebook pics and posts are all generally light hearted, polite and void of slander and foul language, of sorts.

Forums, and specifically this one, everyone is welcome. When you open your doors to anyone and everyone you will invariably get conflicts. And that's what I like about it too. Not the conflicts, as such.

But the broad nature of users and opinions.

There used to be some fkn great stinks in the Green Room. It was both fascinating and hilarious. Unless you were a mod. Then, no matter what decision you made, no matter what button you pushed...someone or a group of people, would always get their knickers in a knot. And that made it even more hilarious.

Good times. So much fun and good times.

And now friendly banter / argument is not allowed in some topics cos it might put the new person off ...ffs !

It's my <coughs > considered < coughs > opinion that the new person may have progressed from lurking to posting

because they may have decided to join in on the banter ... pure conjecture on my part, but as good a theory as any :P

Since when are we not allowed to disagree? I'm under the impression that if it doesn't break any forum rules then it's all good.

Arguing and disagreeing are different things, and mods can use their own discretion.

In the past if there was a heated argument a mod would step in and tell people to cool it off. But it wasn't a bannable offence. Unless you continuously ignored a moderator's requests or demands. I know, I've been guilty of it in the past and I've been suspended/banned on more than one occasion :)

Code Monkey ? hmmm.....

If you mean videos from youtube, its automatic.

Copy and paste the URL, but remove the S from the https:// and its all automatic from there.

• Like 1

In the end it was said the thread went because information was divulged that was legally not on... or some such.

Yeah, there was some shit we needed to jump on because we had to maintain a certain level on anonymity, we couldn't just delete certain posts. And, at the same time, a lot of people were for the experiment of losing WOYM.

So it got axed.

Trust me, the stuff that went on behind the scenes with the forums was pretty intense at times, and I lost more than a few nights' sleep wondering when the axe might fall.

• Like 1

Seems WOYM was an attempt for the forums to try and solve a problem that is solved by another tool(s). (pretty much every social networking tool :p)

Forums are still a great place to get information on specific topics. IMO they're not the tools that should be used to build communities. hawkeye as said as much already. And it's truth. Businesses don't try and build brand loyalty online using forums. It's the same for atomic/pcpp/pcta. This is not the tool.

WRT WOYM - I don't know what the actual content was (doesn't matter). I don't understand there being a problem if people want to post their personal information online - I do it often - it's called Personal Branding. It's different if other people are posting PM's or not respecting other anonymity.

Hmmm. I'm now trying to recall an issue regarding anonymity and legal issues....If my memory serves me correctly, I think I may have been involved in that :P

And if I am indeed talking about the same thing....that bloke was a deadset goose. Who made the mistake of publishing his name somewhere and it was easily linked back to his PUBLIC Facebook profile.

Once two and two were put together, he was furious and threatened legal action.

Threw his toys out of the cot all because he was trying to be clever and be anonymous, but left his Facebook profile for the world to see.

There's a lesson in there for everyone. Privacy settings. Make use of them!