twinair

OK, so WTF is going on with Atomic?

Leo and Cheeky bring up a good point regarding perceived 'antagonisers,' those we don't agree with or even those just don't get along with (it happens) - that even through our differences, we can learn something from them. Sometimes - not always, but sometimes - we can learn more from those who get under our skin, as opposed to learning a lesson that's presented nicely and wrapped up with a pretty ribbon. Sometimes it's the warped or ugly lesson that has the potential to offer us the most :-)

That's a complex issue in and of itself, though. For example, there's a difference between callous disregard, and "telling the truth." One can be destructive, and one can be constructive. However, personal perspective can also play a big part in that.

Talking isn't necessarily communicating. There are three parts to effective communication; the message you want to send out, the message you do send out, and the message that is received at the other end. It's not often that all three parts are in sync. And of those three parts, one personally only has a measure of "control" over the first two. I can't control how anybody is going to take this post, for example, so I can only try and be as clear as I can be, within myself but also when I'm putting words on the screen.

I've noticed an upswing in this discrepancy over the past 12 months on Atomic. Sometimes people seem to think that just because they've put something into a post, that it should automatically be understood at the other end and then they get upset when someone takes it a different way. There are a variety of reasons why this is a logical fallacy, but at it's most negative we can see it also works hand-in-hand with the over-inflated sense of entitlement that is bubbling underneath the surface around here.

We see cries of, 'the whingers have taken over the asylum!' and equal cries of, 'bullies in the schoolyard!' People have their reasons for feeling this way, and that's fine, although I can't help but wonder how much of this is in response to dented egos and bruised entitlement. Atomic isn't about me, it isn't about 'you' (the reader; hi!).

Personally, I don't want to see Atomic sanitised, I like banter and colour and personality :-) I hope a lot of good perspectives can come out of this thread - a little revisiting as to the nature of Atomic, what it means to be Atomic and an Atomican and reaffirming what we want to work towards can hopefully be a very englightening experience :-) I look forward to reading more from you guys :-)

edit:

what as a user would like here: prizes however small just something an atomic t-shirt ?

how about an overclocking comp of some sort ?

show us your game room/den thread

we need new stuff

how about a hsf roundup

watercooling kit roundup

cpu charts like tomshardware used to do

vga charts like tomshardware

i think atomic staff should get together browse the ocau and other sites and see what atomic doesnt have improve from there.

Great post, AMD AKIMBO :-)

We actually had a 'show us your game room' thread in PC gaming a few months ago, and you're right, that did generate a fair whack of traffic :-) T'was a good thread :-) And actually, you (and others) bring up an important point regarding the tech sections - it's easy for some to fall into the trap of thinking the Green Room is Atomic - it's the heartbeat of Atomic, for sure, and it's a large portion of our community here, but there are tech sections out there and they too would benefit from discussion such as this.

edit:

Maybe you should be looking at the RTMers?

It's always the same jokers, right?

They lose, or have lost an argument and their recourse is to constantly RTM people because they don't agree with their views.

It's all this under the counter stuff and then the blatant denials and cover ups that really piss people off.

Sorry Logic, I didn't mean to skip your post (it's too early in the morning for me! :-) ). You bring up a good point, although speaking as one who has access to the Reports that come in, I can't say that I agree with your sentiment here. First up, regarding your point about looking at the people who Report things, I do try and take into account the greater context when we do receive a Report. I like to try and encourage people to take personal responsibility for themselves on the forums, not just in their actions but also their reactions, and it's something I will raise with someone if and when I believe it's applicable. However, I can't force people to listen to me or come to the same conclusions as me and it's up to each person for him or herself to find value in my - or another mod's - perspective on a Reported situation.

So I guess the answer there is that no, it's not always the same people who Report things. A fair whack of Reports that come in are tidy-up admin things, such as threads posted in the wrong section. If and when a situation arises that I feel someone could do with fresh perspective on, I'll certainly raise it with them :-)

Edited by elvenwhore

They lose, or have lost an argument and their recourse is to constantly RTM people because they don't agree with their views.

It's all this under the counter stuff and then the blatant denials and cover ups that really piss people off.

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

But often the people RTMing things aren't the targets of the jibes. They aren't the people arguing against the person RTMed. Sure, that happens too, but in many cases it's people that don't know people on either side, RTMing posts.

What, you don't think the mod team can work out when a sore loser is RTMing as some kind of revenge?

Edited by TinBane

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

But often the people RTMing things aren't the targets of the jibes. They aren't the people arguing against the person RTMed. Sure, that happens too, but in many cases it's people that don't know people on either side, RTMing posts.

What, you don't think the mod team can work out when a sore loser is RTMing as some kind of revenge?

No, but it seems that certain Mods or Management use RTM's as an excuse to follow some sort of agenda.

The 'wannabe Mods' are always always around! They're even more blatant at places like whirlpool and will summon their favourite Mod if you dare cross them!

Edited by LogicprObe

They're even more blatant at places like whirlpool and will summon their favourite Mod if you dare cross them!

how many times have you been banned or suspended from Whirlpool?

Fucking hell lets not turn this into a " I hate mods, Mods hate me thread" Its about making the place better not keeping the same bullshit up that has made it crap of late.

+1 to AMD AKIMBO Tech sections don't get enough posts and its bloody sad. Its a real shame most of the people here just post in the green room. When I know for a fact alot of you guys are fantastic in the field of I.T and could bring so much back to those sections if you started posting in there again.

Pass on the knowledge people!

I'd probably post a hell of a lot more in the tech sections if there was more participation, at times it feels like I'm yelling into an empty stadium.

It's becoming more like a failing business model than a community, sure there are spats and things are said that are uncalled for, I'm guilty of that I know, but when something as minimal as the acquisition of a mouse for the winner of the POTM, something many of our funny and knowledgeable members strive for, becomes an issue because the company who've taken ownership wont pay for it, I think it sends a strong message to the masses.

Hmm... Now that you mention it, I agree this is one area where the *ods can encourage community involvement. A mouse or random bit of hardware wouldn't go astray, and the relatively insignificant costs might be justified by the extra traffic it would generate. I'm pretty sure a POTM section advertising the chance to win a mouse is what attracted me from the magazine to the forums in the first place. I figure there's probably issues with bureaucracy preventing this, working out where the money comes from if not from a sponsor.

If Haymarket refused to supply something as simple as a mouse for a POTM winner, Ben Mansill would have forked out the cash himself to buy one.

Because he cared.

If Haymarket refused to supply something as simple as a mouse for a POTM winner, Ben Mansill would have forked out the cash himself to buy one.

Because he cared.

Good lord. I know your serous but expecting staff of a company to fork out there own cash for a price is a little rich to expect from David or any of the staff.

Quit living the past.

Because he cared.

Good lord. I know your serous but expecting staff of a company to fork out there own cash for a price is a little rich to expect from David or any of the staff.

Quit living the past.

I'm not expecting anyone to do anything.

But just read between the lines.

Because he cared.

Quit living the past.

So no one cares?

They're even more blatant at places like whirlpool and will summon their favourite Mod if you dare cross them!

Oh.......a couple........why?

Because he cared.

Quit living the past.

So no one cares?

/headdesk.

lol -- you clearly need more tinfoil in your hat there LP.

How DARE YOU question my fashion sense!

Enough with the uppercase posts please, we've had enough of your aggressive disrespect.

Enough with the uppercase posts please, we've had enough of your aggressive disrespect.

At least you haven't RTM'd me yet!

............or have you?

At least you haven't RTM'd me yet!

............or have you?

That is between me and the lawmakers.

You'll just have to see what is coming your way.

And it aint no fucking mouse!

Practice what you preach.

You too can sometimes be the kettle (or even the pot).

You aren't always right, but at the same token, if you are don't laud it.

And if you are wrong, don't be a sore looser. Being wrong is a way to learn and become a better person.

If no one is agreeing/siding with you, then chances are you are the one that is wrong, but don't chuck a tanty over it. Be smart and look at what is happening and learn from it.

You don't always know what the other person is thinking/saying, so don't jump to that assumption too fast.

The centre of the universe is not you.

Everyone is held to the rules, no one is automatically entitled to special treatment.

Things change. So you can either adapt with them and keep interacting and enjoying the community, or you can go on about the "good ol' times" while you chase kids off your front lawn.

History is just that, the past not the present or the future, and people and circumstances change.

It's not like it's a revolution, it's an evolution and just like real life it's either evolve or devolve.

Because he cared.

But David isn't Ben, and with a change of guard came a change of lots of things. David's has his lines he needs to play between, which for all we know might be completely different from the original ones.

Well I'm in no position to judge as I'm new but it does seem quiet around here. IMO, I think there needs to be more discussion rooms, like for automotive, news, sport or fitness, a mobile phone discussion room, gadjet room etc etc. Maybe one for ISP's. Yes this is a computing forum but nearly everyone here would be interested in other things too. I know I am. A home DIY room would be great, where everyone could show off thier home reno's and discuss or help other with thier projects...

Take it with a grain of salt but I do think it would bring the population to Atomic in larger numbers if there was more to talk about.

And I spose it was their fault and not yours as well huh.

And I spose it was their fault and not yours as well huh.

stop stirring the pot lets get back on topic and discuss ways to improve this place.

Things change. So you can either adapt with them and keep interacting and enjoying the community, or you can go on about the "good ol' times" while you chase kids off your front lawn.

Fair enough. My thoughts are out of general concern for the forum as a whole AND all of Atomic's members.

Maybe I shouldn't have bothered with this thread then, just go with the flow?

Edited by twinair

Wow. Late to the discussion so I will try and add some input. I'll also state that this is coming not from a mod position but rather as an Atomican.

Firstly, if you want activity and user input you need people who add colour but don't actively go out of their way to smash everyone who has an opposing view. I believe the some members miss this point continually.

A discussion should be based around common rules of engagement and I personally believe that the two extremes of personality types here go hardest on either smash to win or complain when slighted and neither seem to understand that the middle ground is where it needs to be to keep a place interesting.

To say the the mods are on a personal crusade against certain users and use RTMs as justification is just plain wrong.

As a subscriber to the mag from day 1, a forum member a year later, someone who formerly engaged with the community IRL and had over recent years drifted away from the place and now find myself seeing things from behind the curtain - I have a fairly broad view of what was and what is today.

Firstly - my reasons for drifting away were two fold. The first being that building systems for the purpose of achieving "maximum power computing" on a personal level just doesn't happen these days. My main interest on a personal level is about simplicity, up time, cohesive networked environments where my media is available and synced between various systems and backups are properly occurring. Hobbies such as photography would most likely be better served elsewhere truth be told.

The second reason was, as addressed in my first point, the two sided mentality gets old. Leonid, if I never really engaged with you in a thread it was because I really could not be fucked going ten rounds with you on a point that a) I firmly believe you were wrong but thought there was no way this guy was ever going to listen to anything else but his own voice or b) coming into a thread with half an idea on something, would have liked to explore it but really didn't want to be pounded on for my lack of insight. There are a number of people out there with just as much an insight as you into certain topics who can discuss the topic and their reasoning without bashing me for it. They are happy to challenge my own ideas from a place that doesn't leave me with a virtual black eye. You are a bright guy and most probably a decent guy IRL but you make it hard as fucking hell to actually converse with. You are not the only example of it but the one that springs to mind.

I am sure some of you who just read that would suggest I HTFU. The thing is, it's not a whine, just a statement that if members want this place to succeed, you have to look at yourselves, your posting and think about the other people in here. You can tell people to HTFU as much as you like but honestly, away from here, that attitude will make you the hardest prick in the world all on your own or with other hard bastards. Having a thick skin is a good thing however, a society which makes me exercise it for no other reason than the populace are just wanting to shit on anything that doesn't fall into their line of thinking becomes tiring. There is such a culture of mutually supporting one another in a way which is challenging each other and doesn't necessarily mean you have to hold hands and sing kumbaya.

Then there is the other extreme. There is nothing more annoying than people flying into bat for people, a demographic of people, a culture or a society with their nose out of joint for having perceived something that someone said about them as being derogatory. Now, in some cases they may have a point in that, the other extreme have intentionally gone to push a button looking for a reaction or felt it was their god given right to walk this earth doing whatever they want then complaining when no one wanted to play with them, but in some cases it is just stupid. I have no time for it and honestly I feel like telling them to HTFU or to possibly offer a tissue.

The fact is, the world exists somewhere between these extremes. If you can't understand it then you will live a lonely life. There are times where you need to harden up about certain ideas and there are times you need to soften your approach and stance to at least try and understand where someone is coming from. You don't have to agree with them and by all means you can debate the topic but an understanding of either side gives you not only an advantage and insight but a chance to further your own ideas.

So - what did I do when Atomic started being pushed more and more by the fringe dwellers. Did I RTM them? no. I just left the threads alone and essentially fucked off to do something more rewarding with my time.

If this place, being comprised of many people with different ideas and life skills can't actually create an environment for active discussion that doesn't push people away then yeah, it's going to go to the dogs regardless of prizes, incentives, happy endings or whatever.

The mod team for the most part shouldn't be the ones driving the place, they should be enabling people to drive the place. It would be very short sighted of people to believe that people are banned for no other reason than the *ods don't like what they have to say. From my POV, I see the *ods trying to do the best they can with people camping in the extremes trying to push the community their own way.

Yes the *ods are discussing the slow down. Yes the *ods are trying to work out a way forward but unless the community starts acting like one again (rose coloured glasses mayhaps but for every spat that occurred years ago, the community still got behind *od decisions for the most part) and starts to realise that you build a community by working towards the middle ground (and I mean working towards being the goal rather than achieving it) then what is the point?

For the old timers, think about what you loved about this place and put some input into what you believe would achieve that again. For the newer guys, think about what you would like to see in this place and put forward those ideas. For the factional people, think about a place large and diverse and what you may need to change about yourself to be a part of it because I can guarantee you, the only way you will ever be happy being yourself is if you can be yourself in a way which doesn't marginalise everybody else.