twinair

OK, so WTF is going on with Atomic?

Work's proxy just warned that I was going to a phishing site when I clicked the link to the forums from the pcauthority site.
I think it's just a stat gatherer, nothing malicious.

I'm just thinking it is not a great advertisement for curious readers trying to get to the forums for the first time.

We found a security threat. You tried to visit: Not allowed to browse this Phishing site.

The full path from the link is

http://vlr.tynt.com/?format=txt&key=284d869ffe43382ebe88a02cabb697ab&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.atomicmpc.com.au&subId=dE60sIRVSr44X-acwqm_6r&txt=Forums&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcauthority.com.au%2F&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcauthority.com.au%2F&title=Tech%20reviews%2C%20advice%2C%20news%20and%20downloads%20-%20PC%20%26%20Tech%20Authority

Why?

We could create some alts if you want.

Why don't you ditch the depressing macro human relations shit and delve into the technical stuff. There's other forums that need the tumbleweeds blown out.

I think I found the reason. Looking at his user profile apart from the post above his previous posts were a discussion with Leo...

• Like 1

I think anyone who actually posts a comment or a thread announcing their departure has some attention seeking issues they need to deal with.

I think anyone who actually posts a comment or a thread announcing their departure has some attention seeking issues they need to deal with.

Thread, yeah, but only if its melodramatic.

Post, I disagree. I always wave and say bye as I leave a room. Its just polite.

• Like 1

Do you say 'bye whenever you leave a room? E.G. You're at a lan and your needing to a bio, you turn around and say goodbye? You're at a nightclub and you're leaving to go home, you say goodbye to people? You're leaving the kitchen to take your dinner to the table and you say goodbye? :p

Maybe you do. It's not something I would find polite. If you were my roommate doing that to me I'd grow tired of it pretty quickly :p Even if you don't literally mean a room...

Bye

(I'm closing my this tab now and going back to work, so I'm trying to be polite and end each post with bye :p)

• Like 1

Do you say 'bye whenever you leave a room? E.G. You're at a lan and your needing to a bio, you turn around and say goodbye? You're at a nightclub and you're leaving to go home, you say goodbye to people? You're leaving the kitchen to take your dinner to the table and you say goodbye? :p

Maybe you do. It's not something I would find polite. If you were my roommate doing that to me I'd grow tired of it pretty quickly :p Even if you don't literally mean a room...

Bye

(I'm closing my this tab now and going back to work, so I'm trying to be polite and end each post with bye :p)

In real life, if I'm leaving a room I say "brb". Because I'm a socially inept nerd like that.

I meant more on a permanant type level :P If im leaving for a few hours I'd say bye.

I find these forums are changing too ,used to make me aggro. Now i say WTF its only words ,we all got a right to Free Speech.

I still like this place it kinda grows on you.

Just noticed this. Pretty funny when you consider what happened next.

We all got a right to free speech, unless you give advice that I disagree with, then you're bullying.

:D

• Like 1

We all got a right to free speech, unless you give advice that I disagree with, then you're bullying.

Hit you up with the "bullying" thing too, eh? First time anyone has accused me of that - and I didn't even think I'd been slightly harsh on that occasion (though I'd called him names a few days earlier, when he was moaning about "not liking hospitals" *and* his heart condition playing up in the same sentence. Oddly, he "liked" that one! ;p )

69 users are online (in the past 15 minutes)

8 members, 59 guests, 2 anonymous users (See full list)

SonOfNoddy, Google, Bing, Yahoo, Master_Scythe, Rybags, Jeruselem, chrisg, @~thehung, BedeM, smadge1

it *seems* healthy but what gets me on this part is the amount of guests, we get a lot of traffic, but not many active members, I mean you could always try to spread the forum out to others and get them to sign up, but tbh, atomic (from what i've read) has slowly been dying but isn't going to die, I reckon even if the forums themselves get taken down one of us will probably just make a new one and then start the "new forum; come join" struggle all over again, but shit happens, let it happen, it's not like there's really much we can do to stop it

Edited by SonOfNoddy

Farewell to him anyway.

He clearly had his heart in the right place, but his mind was too closed to exist on the internet in a forum type environment.

SonOfNoddy, Google, Bing, Yahoo, Master_Scythe, Rybags, Jeruselem, chrisg, @~thehung, BedeM, smadge1

it *seems* healthy but what gets me on this part is the amount of guests, we get a lot of traffic, but not many active members, I mean you could always try to spread the forum out to others and get them to sign up, but tbh, atomic (from what i've read) has slowly been dying but isn't going to die, I reckon even if the forums themselves get taken down one of us will probably just make a new one and then start the "new forum; come join" struggle all over again, but shit happens, let it happen, it's not like there's really much we can do to stop it

Id love to see a "Please come and change your password" email sent to all members :P

Its not too forthcoming, and will remind a lot of souls we exist :P

Farewell to him anyway.

He clearly had his heart in the right place, but his mind was too closed to exist on the internet in a forum type environment.

Id love to see a "Please come and change your password" email sent to all members :P

you make a fair point, we don't even need a "come and change your password" email, just something like "hey, we still exist, you wanna come back?" and we should start a funeral page for everyone who has just "disappeared"

Farewell to him anyway.

Don't you think the fact that there's usually a goodly amount of guests means that atomic is not forgotten ?

Keep the door open and those that feel like it will post or not.

... just sayin'

Some search/crawl bots don't bother with registration.

Also, I've noticed something and it's probably a big contributor. Not sure if it happens all the time but if you sign in on another device, e.g. phone, it will disconnect your session on the computer. Normal practice is you'd kill the browser on the phone once you're done but the one on computer would still be active, though with the user logged out.

Farewell to him anyway.

you make a fair point, we don't even need a "come and change your password" email, just something like "hey, we still exist, you wanna come back?" and we should start a funeral page for everyone who has just "disappeared"

Can't do that.

That's spamming and breaks a few advertising laws. You can't use someones email, provided for account verification, to advertise to them.

We did however have a hack about 6-8 months back, so an entire database 'change your password' isnt too sneaky :P

Atomic still ranks reasonably highly in google results. So there's that. People looking for tech advice or whatever won't make an account if they find an answer that works (or, I guess, think we're too stupid to help). A lot of older members will pop by and have a look at what's happening on the forums without any real need to log in and post.

When I sign in, I do so anonymously, so you'll never see me "online" anyway.

i know you were on line at 10:53am

how's that for anonymous, mr. robot ? :P

• Like 1

Lot of rabbling in this thread, but I guess my take on the original question:

For starters, the modding and enthusiast community that atomic was founded on kinda drifted apart in approx 2007-2009, which was roughly when overclocking became more trouble than it was worth, and roughly when video game graphical fidelity began to be pegged to the PS3 and xbox360, meaning that upgrading every year bought you very little. That pulled the rug out from under the magazine and knackered atomics recruiting potential. That was the serious blow.

On top of that, around the same time (maybe 2009 onwards) the mod team became pretty intolerant of controversial or aggressive posting, and a number of high profile community members were permabanned. That put a stake through the heart of the other thing the atomic forums were known for: no punches pulled discussions/arguments on serious and controversial topics. Nothing ever got sorted of course, but it was fun. Anyway, a bunch of people were either shown the door or took it themselves when they saw atomic wasn't the place for that any more. The top 50 posters list (which doesn't seem to include banned people, cuz logicpr0be isn't in it) is a litany of the dead, which totally explains why threads don't move any more. That was the followup punch that accelerated the decline.

Basically, the whole place became dull and purposeless. Anyway, I'm apparently back out of overwhelming nostalgia, lets see how long it lasts.

Edited by Sir_Substance

2007 is when the big exodus to Intel occurred. The Core2 was hot stuff and overclocking was still in vogue though less necessary because they were a quantum leap over the asthmatic P4s and underwhelming Athlon64 X2s. Then 2 years or so later the i7s came along and things got buzzing again.

Realistically, the magazine not being around any more and probably moreso social media is to do with the forum shrink.

I'm apparently back out of overwhelming nostalgia, lets see how long it lasts.

They unchained you from the desk, huh? ;) ood to see you're still amongst the living, Subby!