twinair

OK, so WTF is going on with Atomic?

Lot of rabbling in this thread, but I guess my take on the original question:

For starters, the modding and enthusiast community that atomic was founded on kinda drifted apart in approx 2007-2009, which was roughly when overclocking became more trouble than it was worth, and roughly when video game graphical fidelity began to be pegged to the PS3 and xbox360, meaning that upgrading every year bought you very little. That pulled the rug out from under the magazine and knackered atomics recruiting potential. That was the serious blow.

On top of that, around the same time (maybe 2009 onwards) the mod team became pretty intolerant of controversial or aggressive posting, and a number of high profile community members were permabanned. That put a stake through the heart of the other thing the atomic forums were known for: no punches pulled discussions/arguments on serious and controversial topics. Nothing ever got sorted of course, but it was fun. Anyway, a bunch of people were either shown the door or took it themselves when they saw atomic wasn't the place for that any more. The top 50 posters list (which doesn't seem to include banned people, cuz logicpr0be isn't in it) is a litany of the dead, which totally explains why threads don't move any more. That was the followup punch that accelerated the decline.

Basically, the whole place became dull and purposeless. Anyway, I'm apparently back out of overwhelming nostalgia, lets see how long it lasts.

On the plus side, with the new "K chips" Overclocking is back in a BIG way.

Intel has even gone so far as to offer an "overclocking warranty" for about $7.

Pay it, and if you blow up the chip, even by voltage, heat, ANYTHING, they replace it (once). It really re-inspired the overclocking gods.

In the same way that 'classic cars' are coming back, I see more and more case modding coming back online, people are sick of "off the shelf plastic"; not in a big way, but, a little.

It's more in the 'watercooling coming back' and 'custom cable managment' sort of way; but it's something :)

The PS3\4 now has NOTHING on PC graphics, especially if you're into VR gameplay.

And their FPS games still fail to offer 'mouse' as an input method.

You were probably right about the tech side, about 2 years ago. Now? All that's 180'd on you, and PC master race is back on top!

Edited by Master_Scythe

Ya barely even see a mod these days. And now that Cyb3r has a love interest we won't see any of 'em

I suppose we could just blame 'em for neglect ;)

Edited by eveln

Ya barely even see a mod these days. And now that Cyb3r has a love interest we won't see any of 'em

I'm still around, just not posting much. :)

I'm still around, just not posting much. :)

I'm sure that's just what I said ... * batts eyelids innocently *

...now that Cyb3r has a love interest we won't see any of 'em...

:p

I don't even have that excuse, and we seem to have a pretty comparable footprint these days. Not that I ever have been a high-volume poster.

I don't even have that excuse, and we seem to have a pretty comparable footprint these days. Not that I ever have been a high-volume poster.

I seem to see you here more than Cyb3r since he got distracted ;)

What was that? Some boobs walked by and I got distracted....

• Like 1

Since I joined the modcave, I've almost always logged in as invisible. Now that I'm not posting much, I've wondered if it's worth disabling that so people actually see members logged in.

Since I joined the modcave, I've almost always logged in as invisible. Now that I'm not posting much, I've wondered if it's worth disabling that so people actually see members logged in.

IMHO, yep. Not like you're going to be snowed under with chat requests these days. ;)

• Like 1

... put your claws away Master_Scythe

... put your claws away Master_Scythe

It's more like a kitten batting at yarn than claws. I dont know if I'm able to claw :P