twinair

OK, so WTF is going on with Atomic?

Things change. So you can either adapt with them and keep interacting and enjoying the community, or you can go on about the "good ol' times" while you chase kids off your front lawn.

Fair enough. My thoughts are out of general concern for the forum as a whole AND all of Atomic's members.

Maybe I shouldn't have bothered with this thread then, just go with the flow?

That wasn't directed at you dude. I tend to agree when you say things seem to be on a slow down.

That was more for the nostalgia criers ;)

But that said I think the place as a whole needs to adapt too.

Modding is not what it used to be. Hardcore tech is not what is used to be. Market penetration of places like Atomic is pretty high so it's no longer as unique as it once was.

There needs to be value added back into the place, it needs to evolve but then the userbase (ie you and me) need to evolve with it.

As a fairly new user here, I just had to reply to this thread.

I'm not exactly sure what to say, as I already feel like people here talk between themselves about old issues and politics and ignore posts by newbies like me.

It's probably an unrealistic observation, maybe I just haven't been here long enough.

Maybe the people you really want to hang out here,...... are already here.

Be loud, be proud.

But most of all have patience and persistence. People will get to know you.

Well I'm in no position to judge as I'm new but it does seem quiet around here. IMO, I think there needs to be more discussion rooms, like for automotive, news, sport or fitness, a mobile phone discussion room, gadjet room etc etc. Maybe one for ISP's. Yes this is a computing forum but nearly everyone here would be interested in other things too. I know I am. A home DIY room would be great, where everyone could show off thier home reno's and discuss or help other with thier projects...

Take it with a grain of salt but I do think it would bring the population to Atomic in larger numbers if there was more to talk about.

So, you want this place to become Whirlpool?

We've seen forum sections get created before.... some of them tend to be extremely slow.

What we need is consolidation, which I think the forum *ods have done a pretty good job of.

Any more disection and you end up with an entire section with just 3 people posting/replying in it.

As a fairly new user here, I just had to reply to this thread.

I'm not exactly sure what to say, as I already feel like people here talk between themselves about old issues and politics and ignore posts by newbies like me.

It's probably an unrealistic observation, maybe I just haven't been here long enough.

Maybe the people you really want to hang out here,...... are already here.

No your right though the newbies get ignored mainly in the green room except in the tech sections which the "few" people who post in there do talk to them. I get the same feel sometimes that post count dictates if you get a response instead of the quality of your post.

Any more disection and you end up with an entire section with just 3 people posting/replying in it.

Isnt that the whole "the box section" already?

Practice what you preach.

You too can sometimes be the kettle (or even the pot).

You aren't always right, but at the same token, if you are don't laud it.

And if you are wrong, don't be a sore looser. Being wrong is a way to learn and become a better person.

If no one is agreeing/siding with you, then chances are you are the one that is wrong, but don't chuck a tanty over it. Be smart and look at what is happening and learn from it.

You don't always know what the other person is thinking/saying, so don't jump to that assumption too fast.

The centre of the universe is not you.

Everyone is held to the rules, no one is automatically entitled to special treatment.

Things change. So you can either adapt with them and keep interacting and enjoying the community, or you can go on about the "good ol' times" while you chase kids off your front lawn.

History is just that, the past not the present or the future, and people and circumstances change.

It's not like it's a revolution, it's an evolution and just like real life it's either evolve or devolve.

This.

...Oh, and I am the centre of my universe.

:D

We've seen forum sections get created before.... some of them tend to be extremely slow.

What we need is consolidation, which I think the forum *ods have done a pretty good job of.

I'm inclined to agree with you on this point.

it's catch 22

You won't attract many members without a broad range of discussions

and

You can't make a forum section for every topic without the members to support them.

My biggest problem is the only good place to post is in the tech section which I like but would like to post more in the green room but I usually don't because one of three things will happen:

1. Someone will be a cunt cause im not part of the close knit club.

2. I will have to clarify something that is common knowledge or a minor detail for example about 5-6 times.

3. The thread turns into a pissing match cause someone doesn't think anyone elses opinion is valid.

So I stay in the tech sections where there is minimal BS lately.

Reasons 2 and 3 are big ones for me, also threads that have gotten side tracked because someone has used the incorrect version of "Their, there, your or you're" shit like that when anyone can easily determine what they meant, is it worth someone replying to a thread about that and then like 2 or 3 others jumping in with the "I hate when people do that" posts..

As for OP's complaint about the forums major contributor being banned I say good riddance, I know personally of 2 people who have left the forums only because of 1shot and seen others reference him as reasons for never entering the green room anymore, he would troll people to the limit of the rules and deliberately misinterpret anything he could, sometimes I would read a post and think I know exactly what 1shot will post next and in a few minutes BANG it was up there, not to mention his numerous alts that he would troll from. If anything I would say it is a problem when your major contributor is such a tool.

Can someone contact Just_Some_Guy/Virtuoso and get him to start posting again?

When he left...so did the left ventricle of atomic's heart.

the incorrect version of "Their, there, your or you're" shit like that when anyone can easily determine what they meant, is it worth someone replying to a thread about that and then like 2 or 3 others jumping in with the "I hate when people do that" posts..

No you're right, it really isn't worth correcting people if that's how you feel. But on that same note, it really isn't worth getting wound up when people do. Sometimes it pays to be detailed. Infact, it pays more often than you think.

I've only ever been a member of one other forum, and I would think long and hard before expanding into the endless list of subforums. You end up needing more, and specialized, mods. This leads to the whole thing becoming a lot more fragmented.

Now that could be a good way of hiding the "nasty little arguments" which arise from time to time, but it can also encourage them. It's a fine balancing act.

I sometimes think the "loud and proud" approach can be exactly what makes it hard to make new friends.

Thankfully, I am patient, and sometimes I'm persistent too. :)

I sometimes think the "loud and proud" approach can be exactly what makes it hard to make new friends.

It depends what type of noise you make and what you are proud of. You can't make friends with everybody, but you will find your niche. Edited by twinair

It depends what type of noise you make and what you are proud of. You can't make friends with everybody, but you will find your niche.

I'd expand on that one slightly - you can't make friends with everybody but you will find your niche - just remember that colour and flavour exist because other people have done the same thing and that is also worth respecting.

It depends what type of noise you make and what you are proud of. You can't make friends with everybody, but you will find your niche.

I'd expand on that one slightly - you can't make friends with everybody but you will find your niche - just remember that colour and flavour exist because other people have done the same thing and that is also worth respecting.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying. Are you saying that you cannot be unique without walking in someone elses footsteps?

Not sure what the complaints are about, I'm new but like the different feel to this site, it's more laid back and fun. Sure, some threads get side tracked and some people go a bit overboard, but usually it's in good taste.

Given the number of people going to this meet, it also seems there is a strong sense of camaraderie here.

In short, I think it is a case of quality over quantity.

Having spelling nazis on my back actually helped me to correct my spelling and grammar.

I used to type "lyk dis". I wish I could go back in time and slap myself lol.

Like I was saying before, if you actually sit back and objectively look at what these "thread shitters" and "trolls" have to say, you will learn something. If you stop thinking everything they say is negative and an outward attack on you, there will no longer be a problem. Some people just think the world is out to get them. Most of the time it is perception.

Besides, spelling nazis arent new or limited to "forum bullies". I would never describe Fenn as a bully or a person with a single bad bone in her body, but she is totally a spelling and grammar nazi :P

Anyway, the constant reminders helped me. I didnt flip out and tell them to fuck off, or have a cry because "they are picking on me". Sometimes id laugh and edit the post then make a reply to say "yeah yeah lol :P" or something, I never got cut up about it.

Its nothing really worth getting angry about either. Either correct it and learn, or ignore it and dont learn :)

Classic scenario of when to ignore someone if it annoys you. Sometimes ignoring people hurts more than abusing them.

Well I'm in no position to judge as I'm new but it does seem quiet around here. IMO, I think there needs to be more discussion rooms, like for automotive, news, sport or fitness, a mobile phone discussion room, gadjet room etc etc. Maybe one for ISP's. Yes this is a computing forum but nearly everyone here would be interested in other things too. I know I am. A home DIY room would be great, where everyone could show off thier home reno's and discuss or help other with thier projects...

Take it with a grain of salt but I do think it would bring the population to Atomic in larger numbers if there was more to talk about.

What is it with people bashing other forums? Thats the main reason I don't visit WP much anymore. But they have great sections on which I do visit every now and then to get advise or to discuss topics and try to help others.

Take WP for example then. How many different discussion rooms do you see there? A crap load more than here. What about OCAU? Same again, a shit load more than here. Obviously thats what bring people in. It's like having a petrol station that only sells petrol and nothing else. Harding anyone will come in. You need other products to attract the customers in. Same goes for here.

Some people just have to put their ego aside and think what is best for the community. Not themselves.

I've gotten pretty good at ignoring tards and fuckwits.

What is it with people bashing other forums? Thats the main reason I don't visit WP much anymore. But they have great sections on which I do visit every now and then to get advise or to discuss topics and try to help others.

Take WP for example then. How many different discussion rooms do you see there? A crap load more than here. What about OCAU? Same again, a shit load more than here. Obviously thats what bring people in. It's like having a petrol station that only sells petrol and nothing else. Harding anyone will come in. You need other products to attract the customers in. Same goes for here.

Some people just have to put their ego aside and think what is best for the community. Not themselves.

How was I "bashing" any other forum? I asked a simple question, as you seemed to be describing whirlpool to me. You chose to take it completely out of context. Your fault, not mine.

I think part of the problem may be something to do with the layout of the forums contents, and the ability to see when your posts have been replied to.

a) The old atomic had a full contents listing down the side, and while in a sub-forum you could easily hop to another sub-forum by clicking the forum topic in the contents, now youhave to navigate up a level to get out of one sub-forum to get into another one. It may seem like not much work doing an extra click or 2 to navigate, but when you are checking out many threads on a regular basis, it quickly becomes apparent this system is rather inconvenient, which is exacerbated by point b)

b) Also, there is no tracking by the forums of when or how your posts are replied to. There used to be a "Mark all topic read" button, which clears the "new posts" icons then you could see if a thread had been answered or not, however, if you post a thread or a reply, and forget later which thread you had posted in (and yes, it can get difficult to remember when you are posting often in multiple threads), there is no way of knowing if and when a reply has been made unless you can navigate back to the original thread in the right sub-forum.

Some forum softwares send email notifications, some autoimatically, some by subsciption, to replies of threads you have participated in such phpbb software and the like, though I understand this will increase website traffic considerably...

As to the postings, I think it is a many and varied problem. I am an active member of around 20+ web forums,, some for almost a decade, and I have seen forums grow and shrink, come to life and die for a variety of reasons. Nothing is constant except change itself, so the name of the game I believe is to adapt. With regards to Atomic, I think there is need of an attitude adjustment for quite a few people (perhaps myself included - not saying I'm immune). A lot of people have a 'holier-than-thou' attitude and some are just downright rude in their replies. The regulars who consider this place their home should set a good example for newbies to follow, and many do, but some don't, and it puts puts visitors and newbs off. To those who say its the internet - HTFU, no thats not an excuse to act like a jerk...the internet is a social environment, albeit a new one, like any other social environment we come in contact with, so social norms should apply to it as well.

While I agree with you we just don't have the same traffic as OCAU or whirlpool. And as said before some sections will become even more dead then what they are most stuff can be put in tech talk anyway. :)

Leonid:

If we banned people based on if they pissed others off, that list of people would already be gone.

They aren't.

The mod team doesn't ban anyone, based on public sentiment.

There are users on atomic who have been RTMed an insane amount of times.

It doesn't seem to correlate with being banned.

Then explain to me why you guys banned 1shot.

He broke no rules that anyone could see except being a pedant - which is not yet illegal in the forum rules, and some thought he was a troll because they couldn't beat him at his game. Protip 101: someone isn't a troll because they expose your flawed argument.

1shot and I disagreed on a great many things, and arguing with him was harder and more excruciating than being raped by a pack of grizzly bears - but if you can survive a grilling by 1shot and get your comeuppance without losing your cool, you've graduated to the upper echelons of Atomic.

Edited by Leonid

He wasn't bashing Whirlpool, but what you described was almost exactly like what Whirlpool's structure is.

While it may or may not be a good idea, there is an issue of activity. Whirlpool can branch as there is plenty of activity in each forum. Here, it may be more productive to merge, as some forums have posts from months back on the first page.

Good post, Antraman :-)

a) The old atomic had a full contents listing down the side, and while in a sub-forum you could easily hop to another sub-forum by clicking the forum topic in the contents, now youhave to navigate up a level to get out of one sub-forum to get into another one. It may seem like not much work doing an extra click or 2 to navigate, but when you are checking out many threads on a regular basis, it quickly becomes apparent this system is rather inconvenient, which is exacerbated by point b)

Ah, I do miss the forum navigation bar :-) I understand your point about extra clicks being exhausting or a trial for a user, and it is a good point - user friendly interfaces are a golden rule of IT, after all :-) However, just as a point of clarification, down the bottom of every thread (underneath the Quick Reply box if you've got that turned on) or forum listing is a little drop-down box that allows navigation between subforums without having to go back through the main portal, as you have described here. Obviously it's not a fail-safe solution and it's not going to be cool with everyone (lots of people didn't like the navigation bar in v2.6, either :-) ), but the option is there :-)

edit: also guys, just a quick note to mention that David's on deadline this week. He, like you guys, wants to give this topic the attention it deserves but it's possible he won't be able to make it in here to give it that attention until after deadline passes. Rest assured he's very interested in hearing from you guys on this and he'll be in probably in a day or so, I'd wager.

Edited by elvenwhore