twinair

OK, so WTF is going on with Atomic?

Too much to comment on everything.

Re: More sub forums.

I agree that disection of the forums can also be a bad thing, especially since (from my understanding) that the tech sections are really slow at the moment. Perhaps we should think about disecting the green room a little? The range of topics that appears in there is riduculous and at times, very hard to keep track of. Sometimes good posts are simply lost amongst everything else.

Just an idea.

Also on this vein of thought.

I ocassionly drop down into the tech sections, (usually just techtalk and building and trouble shooting). However with so many of these different subforums it starts to become a 'task' to go and check all these different sub forums. which IMO is not the way you want the forum to feel like.

___

I think what some people are forgetting is that the magazine and the forum are semi separate entities. Even between the site and the magazine the amount of info varies greatly. Discussions on stuff that appears on the main site has no effect on the forums as well, and there have bene many discussions which have gone on for a fair while. (100-200 replies)[give or take].

I got some other ideas but I got Uni, so if I remember them tonight you can hear 'em.

Argotha

1shot and I disagreed on a great many things, and arguing with him was harder and more excruciating than being raped by a pack of grizzly bears - but if you can survive a grilling by 1shot and get your comeuppance without losing your cool, you've graduated to the upper echelons of Atomic.

For the most part I'd certainly agree with you.

But what he was doing before he got banned was nothing short of trolling.

Rob.

I sometimes think the "loud and proud" approach can be exactly what makes it hard to make new friends.

It depends what type of noise you make and what you are proud of. You can't make friends with everybody, but you will find your niche.

I'd expand on that one slightly - you can't make friends with everybody but you will find your niche - just remember that colour and flavour exist because other people have done the same thing and that is also worth respecting.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying. Are you saying that you cannot be unique without walking in someone elses footsteps?

No, I am saying that it's all good to be yourself and finding people you identify with just so long as you respect those that have found the same with ideas and people that differ to yours.

There is the functionality for:

-mark all as read

-get email notification of new posts

On the top right of the first post of the page there is a bar which says options.

Track topic = emails

Also on the main page, wher eyou see the big atomics symbols next to each forum. you can click them to mark all as read.

Leonid:

If we banned people based on if they pissed others off, that list of people would already be gone.

They aren't.

The mod team doesn't ban anyone, based on public sentiment.

There are users on atomic who have been RTMed an insane amount of times.

It doesn't seem to correlate with being banned.

Then explain to me why you guys banned 1shot.

He broke no rules that anyone could see except being a pedant - which is not yet illegal in the forum rules, and some thought he was a troll because they couldn't beat him at his game. Protip 101: someone isn't a troll because they expose your flawed argument.

1shot and I disagreed on a great many things, and arguing with him was harder and more excruciating than being raped by a pack of grizzly bears - but if you can survive a grilling by 1shot and get your comeuppance without losing your cool, you've graduated to the upper echelons of Atomic.

there is being pedantic and then there is just being a pain which causes people to get angry over it.

This thread clearly shows that there is a need for more excitement and controversy.

Actually it shows that there is a greater need for passion.

FYi the gods would comment but today is deadline.

So we should hear from them tomorrow.

This thread clearly shows that there is a need for more excitement and controversy.

I have no shortage of passion for Atomic.

Excrement?

Ewww

I have no shortage of passion for Atomic.

And that is why this thread is such a hot topic.

Maybe there is just a lack of passion fo rsome of the other areas of the forum.

Maybe there is a lack of passion for modding.

Leonid:

If we banned people based on if they pissed others off, that list of people would already be gone.

They aren't.

The mod team doesn't ban anyone, based on public sentiment.

There are users on atomic who have been RTMed an insane amount of times.

It doesn't seem to correlate with being banned.

He broke no rules that anyone could see except being a pedant - which is not yet illegal in the forum rules, and some thought he was a troll because they couldn't beat him at his game. Protip 101: someone isn't a troll because they expose your flawed argument.

Posted Image

Excrement?

Ewww

http://www.ratemypoo.com

Edit: Oh no!

Some killed it!

For shame :(

Edited by twinair

If you want to get officious, and quote "forum rules", then the final arbiter is the "rule 0" of T&Cs. You know that.

The FAQs are a guide, for interacting with other members of the forum.

If you have a genuine concern about the issue, then you know what to do.

We aren't going to publicly debate the merits of the ban, nor reveal information you may or may not be privy to.

Should we?

Jesus, Twinny, could you choose any other day to start this?!?

Got mag to send, POTM to announce (including shiny new prize :P), and then... yeah, trust me, folks, there will be a response.

The first time I read this I thought you were addressing both Twinny and Jesus :P

Rob.

Got mag to send, POTM to announce (including shiny new prize :P), and then... yeah, trust me, folks, there will be a response.

<3 We will leave you be then. Busy day look forward to the next issue.

Do they still advertise the site and forums in the mag, like, full-page ads? and even in PCA...

something has to be done.

Atomic loves a bit of drama, no doubt.

FWIW, I agree with basically everything twinair has said.

The first time I read this I thought you were addressing both Twinny and Jesus :P

Rob.

Well I would assume when dealing with a deadline some would talk in exasperated tones to their chosen deity (or his son) or maybe even just pray to twinair which would be odd but it certainly adds colour and flavour to our dear editor.

Edited by The Tick

Well I admit it is quiet these days in the tech sections but it has happened before, it could be a number of things like people not being able to spend up on tech like they used to and being more focused on just building a machine that will do the job. As for less modding of boxes it may simply be that most boxes these days look great off the shelf, the days of the beige box are gone (Thank god).

Also people are keeping their tech longer these days as compared to the early days of computing, where quantum leaps where happening monthly, and everyone wanted the next best thing because it was so much faster. Now a computer has a much longer life (My son is still using his GT8800 and Intel core 2 quad 8xxx series and it still happily runs the games he plays like Bio shock 2, left for dead 2 ect). And generally computer parts have a better life span (reliability) than they once did.

I am sure some new people are scared away by the antics (which we old timers are all used to and no longer shocked by) in the green room, I mean imagine what some of those threads look like to a newbie ! Especially when members are going at each other hammer and tong.

I for one don't want these newbie's to harden up, I want them to stay and contribute. And when someone new posts a question in the tech section and leaves out basic info we all need, there are two ways to ask them for it 1: dripping with sarcasm 2: point out in a friendly manner that you need more info and welcome them and refer them to the FAQ.

I know some people would call that babying someone, I call it manners. We can all do (myself included) our little bit to help these forums by taking the time before we comment to imagine how a newbie will react to what we say and how we say it.

My 2c worth. :)

I've gotten pretty good at ignoring tards and fuckwits.

How was I "bashing" any other forum? I asked a simple question, as you seemed to be describing whirlpool to me. You chose to take it completely out of context. Your fault, not mine.

I think I'm pretty good at reading between the lines. But I'll leave it at that.

IMO, if this forum stays as is it will certainly slowly die. It needs more to bring in the people. Who cares if it similar to WP or OCAU, it gets them the population.

While I agree with you we just don't have the same traffic as OCAU or whirlpool. And as said before some sections will become even more dead then what they are most stuff can be put in tech talk anyway. :)

So...Atomicans want more poeple to walk through the doors but want to be different to other forums? Is that what I'm reading here? Good luck. More rooms is the only way to do it. Let them run for say 12 months, or however long, and if they are dead and no one's posting in it then close it. But I do honestly think it needs other interesting sections. A few of my mates all say the same thing to me. If this forum had more they would visit here more over other forums.

I see the passion in the users here. Lets hope something gets worked out.

Edited by OptiMus_PriMe

If people want to discuss cars, they can join a cars forum.

We're not SomethingAwful, we're not 4chan, we're a tech forum.

Ok, let's at least try and keep this thread somewhat on-topic.

FTR, we've been having lengthy discussions about the direction of the forum.

Does it involve "The Family Guy"?