Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
SquallStrife

National Broadband Network coverage maps

http://www.alp.org.au/agenda/nbn/

It actually looks pretty good, even little towns in country QLD are set to have fibre hooked up. Not to mention the broadband dead zone between Brisbane and Ipswich.

This + structural separation of Telstra = Win.

Edited by SquallStrife

I remember reading somewhere that every township with at least 1000 people would be hooked up, not sure if this is still the case?

It's a little shocking in some respects to see the rather minimal amount of Red Fibre links.

Especially when you consider that this really does represent that vast majority of Australia's population centres!

But there does seem to be some excellent support a lot of rural Australia, which is quite encouraging. Though there's a few strange "grey" spots amongst the red. THAT would be frustrating!

The red dots are just based on the arbitrary location of some piece of infrastructure. Exchanges or GPONs perhaps.

If an exchange or node services an odd shaped area, this map won't show that.

It's a little shocking in some respects to see the rather minimal amount of Red Fibre links.

If you zoom in on the large areas that aren't covered in red, fuck all people live in them, and most of the people in those little black spots will probably get fibre anyway, it's probably just because of the way this map has been generated that there are little gaps like that.

Edited by SquallStrife

where did you find the google map?

:edit: nevermind, I see you overlayed their map over the top of the google map

Edited by Linux_Inside V2

you do realise this is a labor blueprint don't you ?

and that conroy is the man in the driver's seat

i should release my plan of cure for cancer and the abolition of mortality if you like to read about another good fantasy

i should release my plan of cure for cancer and the abolition of mortality if you like to read about another good fantasy

I live in Brisbane. So long as Abbott doesn't fuck it up I'll be getting fibre.

fuck yeah!

I live in Brisbane. So long as Abbott doesn't fuck it up I'll be getting fibre.

fuck yeah!

Abbott, is dropping the NBN and is announcing is policy regarding the NBN soon. This will be unnecessary infrastructure.

Plus labor is appointing people with no experience and paying people way too much money to do a job they don't know how to do.

Edited by 2SHY

Abbott, is dropping the NBN and is announcing is policy regarding the NBN soon. This will be unnecessary infrastructure.

He will announce nothing more than a cash handout to Telstra.

NBN is being rolled out by a gov't owned corporation (like AusPost), not by the government itself.

You prick! I just spat coke all over my monitor! :P

That's the ALP's plan. I'm willing to bet that we can't really take that map as the "gospel truth".

Furthermore, there have just recently been announcements that there's likely to be a huge cost blowout. This is unsurprising.

I read a good article in the Financial Review, "Telecommunications euthanasia for $43 billion". Unfortunately, the online version requires you to be a subscriber so I can't post it here. However, the gist of the article is that the NBN will not create healthy competition and will actually hamper innovation in the telecommunications industry.

At the moment, Telstra has a monopoly on all the infrastructure in Australia. In a few years time, there will be a duopoly. How does that create effective competition? How many smaller ISPs are going to go down the gurgler because they can't compete with the government-owned and subsidised monster? The rollout of the NBN just emphasises Labor's antipathy to smaller businesses.

The Fin Review article I read proposed an alternative plan. Unfortunately, I can't remember the details of it but I'll post them when I find the particular paper it was in.

Does anyone know what kind of data caps will be available with fibre? Fibre is only exciting if it's:

a) Affordable

b) Not only a faster way to blow your cap

Does anyone know what kind of data caps will be available with fibre? Fibre is only exciting if it's:

a) Affordable

b) Not only a faster way to blow your cap

Right now, Internode have a 100GB plan for $99.95 a month.

But consider that Internode is at the top of the market, and we'll get a better idea of future value as companies like TPG and Exetel get onboard.

What do the numbers mean on the coverage map posted above, (couldn't find anything like that on the Labor site). I'm right near the 3...

Edited by Periander

The numbers are just from the road map. The coverage is indicated by the overlay, red indicates FTTH, the darker shaded areas indicate WiMax (or LTE or whatever tech they end up using), and everywhere else is Satellite.

Oh Balls, I'm about 5ks out of the "red coverage area"

Looks like I will be stuck with satellite for a while then...

Oh Balls, I'm about 5ks out of the "red coverage area"

Looks like I will be stuck with satellite for a while then...

One of Conroy's stipulations has been that if you currently have copper, but are not part of the FTTH rollout, you will not lose your copper and can keep using ADSL.

Also the coverage overlay above was taken from a for-print PDF, there's a good chance the coverage will be better than what's shown.

But consider that Internode is at the top of the market, and we'll get a better idea of future value as companies like TPG and Exetel get onboard.

100GB isn't going to cut it on fibre, especially at that price. $100 a month isn't something a lot of people can afford. TPG may do a better deal, but in the end, unless we start heading close to TB caps (or unlimited), there's not much of an advantage.

100GB isn't going to cut it on fibre, especially at that price. $100 a month isn't something a lot of people can afford. TPG may do a better deal, but in the end, unless we start heading close to TB caps (or unlimited), there's not much of an advantage.

That's true. But like I said, it's early days. I'd wager those prices were set based on what they're currently charging for ADSL2+.

Remember that 5 years ago, a 100GB plan was unheard of.

Once ISPs get a good feel for how they will work with NBN and what data will really cost them, the pricing structure will more than likely change.

For example, with every ISP using the same wholesale network, it would probably be feasible to stop charging for intra-Australia traffic. This would enable things like Netflicks and Bigpond Movies to really take off.

I get 150GB on Optus cable @ 20Mbps for $65, how does that make internode "top of the market" ? My mate gets 200GB for $90 on Telstra cable.