Sign in to follow this  
Cal-MB

Warhammer Online Kicks Off Sunday

I could spend $15 going to see a movie, or renting a few DVDs, or going out to dinner for one night...

all things which are less entertainging than the game time one can get from an MMO for one month.

Person A buys an MMO for $80 and plays for a month free.

Person B buys an FPS for $80 and plays for a month.

Person A subs for another month for $15.

Person B buys another game for $80.

Wow, look at that, person A is already ahead. Person B would only be able to buy one game every 6 months to come out anywhere near even and that's before you even consider that server rentals and bandwidth aren't free and someone has to pay for them somewhere. Those CS or TF2 servers don't magically appear out of nowhere and they're usually privately rented, coming out of someone's ISP costs or throwing more money at someone like Microsoft...

Person A buys an MMO for $80 and plays for a month free.

Person B buys an FPS for $80 and plays for a month.

Person A subs for another month for $15.

Person B buys another game for $80.

Wow, look at that, person A is already ahead. Person B would only be able to buy one game every 6 months to come out anywhere near even and that's before you even consider that server rentals and bandwidth aren't free and someone has to pay for them somewhere. Those CS or TF2 servers don't magically appear out of nowhere and they're usually privately rented, coming out of someone's ISP costs or throwing more money at someone like Microsoft...

WOW where did you get your Mathematics from?

Person A buys a subscription game for $80 and pays $15/mth for 11 months which costs $245/yr for the SAME game.

Person B buys a non-subscription game for $80 and can buy 3 different games/expansions in a year for $240/yr.

Wow, look at that, Person B is already ahead. With 3 games/yr and $5 to spare, who can play purchased game when ever for-ever, any time. You would need to get only 4/mths out of each game.

Person A would only beable to play the SAME game and pay for the privlage of playing the SAME game and would have to play it regularly to justify continuing to pay $15/month for the SAME game.

WOW where did you get your Mathematics from?

Person A buys a subscription game for $80 and pays $15/mth for 11 months which costs $245/yr for the SAME game.

Person B buys a non-subscription game for $80 and can buy 3 different games/expansions in a year for $240/yr.

Wow, look at that, Person B is already ahead. With 3 games/yr and $5 to spare, who can play purchased game when ever for-ever, any time. You would need to get only 4/mths out of each game.

Person A would only beable to play the SAME game and pay for the privlage of playing the SAME game and would have to play it regularly to justify continuing to pay $15/month for the SAME game.

Person B buys 2 games, $160.

Person A buys the MMO $80, one month. Over $160? No.

Month 2 pays $15. Total = $95

Month 3 pays $15. Total = $110

Month 4 pays $15. Total = $125

Month 5 pays $15. Total = $140

Fuck off, my maths is fine. Want to throw in some quarterly content patches that all mmo's have or would that make it harder for you to clutch at some straws? Funny, those content patches change the game so it's not the same. No? Oh right you want to take it at an exact point in time where the MMO loses out dollar wise by $5. Having fun up there on that horse?

Well since you tend to play an MMO for two to three years lets have try with two.

We'll start with your $245. Lets toss in another 12 month subs for $180. Total = $425

425 / 80 = ~5.3

Take away the three games you bought in the first year and look at that, you can't even buy three games in the second year. Want to go for three years?

$425 + $180 = $605

605 / 80 = ~7.6

Wow, only two games again in the third year. Hey, want to toss in the price of an Xbox live subscription or the cost of renting a server for Person B's games? No? then get off your high horse.

Most games come for less then $80 Invicta, you just have to stop going to those gouging local retailers ;)

How many people only play three games per year?

Dudes, chill.

I merely said I can't justify the price. I'm too much of a casual-style gamer now-a-days to pay a subscription to a game I'd barely play.

:)

*Dismounts High horse*

After 2 years one could have 5 games for the price of the 1 subscription game.

after 3 years one could have 7 games for the price of the 1 subscription game.

Need I go on.....

..Any way, personaly Id like to play world of warcraft, Lord of the Rings, Age of Conan and Warhammer but I refuse to buy a game and continue to pay to play it and pay for the expansions too.

I like the Guild Wars model in the way you pay for the game once and thats. Of coarse your paying when they bring out an expansion but subscrition games charge you for expansions aswell so that point is mute.

You can justify all you want for pay to play games all you want, all the best to you. Im not one of them people.

Peace

Lol at people attacking each other over why MMO's are better value.

Games are entertainment, you buy what you think you will enjoy not what is better value.

I personally would rather Say COD4 and Crysis over an MMO.

Dudes, chill.

I merely said I can't justify the price. I'm too much of a casual-style gamer now-a-days to pay a subscription to a game I'd barely play.

:)

I'm 'chill.' You say you can't justify the price, we did. Casual gamers are the driving force behind mmo's these days, it's what they're made to cater to (and we can all thank Blizzard for that...) An hour here and hour there, just like any fps or rts.

*Dismounts High horse*

After 2 years one could have 5 games for the price of the 1 subscription game.

after 3 years one could have 7 games for the price of the 1 subscription game.

Need I go on.....

Are you sure what you're even saying here? Five games in two years is nothing. A lot of people would go through that in six months let alone two years.

..Any way, personaly Id like to play world of warcraft, Lord of the Rings, Age of Conan and Warhammer but I refuse to buy a game and continue to pay to play it and pay for the expansions too.

I like the Guild Wars model in the way you pay for the game once and thats. Of coarse your paying when they bring out an expansion but subscrition games charge you for expansions aswell so that point is mute.

You can justify all you want for pay to play games all you want, all the best to you. Im not one of them people.

Peace

Lots of games encourage you to buy expansions. You don't have to buy them to keep playing, an mmo is no different. You're clutching at straws here again and for the record, the word is moot not mute, there's an incredible difference there.

So you want a Guild Wars model where you expect them to pay for maintaining the server, the bandwidth and any new content out of their own pocket? Sounds like a wonderful commercially viable idea. Hey how about we all go buy cars and then demand the government build and maintain roads for us to use those cars on for free? There's about as much chance of that happening as unmetered highspeed internet plans becoming the norm in Australia. Hey, weren't the overseas ISPs starting to follow suit and putting caps on their plans too since it's far more commercially viable? Like it or not game developers are out to make money, yours. You want a better experience you'll have to pay for it. When you're done with your six months of single player pong you'll know where to find the rest of us.

Meh. I enjoy both single player and MMO's.

I also enjoy dinner and a movie. They're one-shot deals as well.

$50 on dinner and a movie? Both of which I really only get enjoy the once.

Entertainment's "value" is always a subjective thing. I've got a mate of mine who's blown hundreds of dollars on lap dances.

Is is "good value". Probably not. Does *he* enjoy himself? Worth every cent (So he tells me).

Each to their own really.

I'm still having a blast in this game 8^), did abit of everything this weekend and the more I see of this game the better it gets.

Did abit of keep warfare which was great fun and very good renown, but i gotta say the caster keeplords are insanly tough! they easly require twice the amount of people than the melee lords. Taking a keep is a fairly easy process which basicly involves bashing down the front door then killing the keep lord who is a hero mob with 4 champions guarding him. There is also alot of trash mobs both inside and out of the keep which you can lower in numbers if you capture the other field objectives.

Explored around Altdorf for awhile looking for cool things to do and see. The city is MASSIVE! and there is so many little back allyways with hidden content in them, I found 3 PQ's which don't start till you triger something (also doesn't have the pq thing int he top right till you trigger it) which ranged from lvl10 to lvl25. Also had a poke around the the sewer dungeon which looks like it could be fun but since we didn't have a full group we couldn't get past the 1st boss ehhe.

i dont know i thoughtabout it and i like rpgs but i think it would consume tooooo much time i still wish it was 40k though

and this week ends pritty full and im still buying out empire after empire in spore.

we will see.

I'm still having a blast in this game 8^), did abit of everything this weekend and the more I see of this game the better it gets.

Did abit of keep warfare which was great fun and very good renown, but i gotta say the caster keeplords are insanly tough! they easly require twice the amount of people than the melee lords. Taking a keep is a fairly easy process which basicly involves bashing down the front door then killing the keep lord who is a hero mob with 4 champions guarding him. There is also alot of trash mobs both inside and out of the keep which you can lower in numbers if you capture the other field objectives.

Explored around Altdorf for awhile looking for cool things to do and see. The city is MASSIVE! and there is so many little back allyways with hidden content in them, I found 3 PQ's which don't start till you triger something (also doesn't have the pq thing int he top right till you trigger it) which ranged from lvl10 to lvl25. Also had a poke around the the sewer dungeon which looks like it could be fun but since we didn't have a full group we couldn't get past the 1st boss ehhe.

Keeps seem easy till you have another 70 odd people from the other side trying to stop you and raining firey death upon you from the battlements. ;)

A lot of the content in the city won't appear till the city 'levels up' from people doing quests and dungeons etc.

You assholes will drag me back into MMOness with talk like this!!!!

Did you check the sticky at the top of this page?

Or the offical page, or the news stories on the front of atomic, or the 'official' forums, or Internode, or Gamearena...

Although it is flattering that you'd come to us first for help we're just as likely to tell you to format your hdd ;)

You'd better try that one first.

Darklands or Ironclaw most likely. Roll Order unless you enjoy sitting through 500 odd person, hour long queues...

I rolled on Ironclaw - Destruction, and I have to say Goblins are the wackiest fun I've had in years.

Fark! They are amazingly likable to the N'th degree.

The Dark Elf Sorceress reminds me of the Sorceress in Last Chaos, and I know that's a bad comparison.

But there's just too many similarities in toons, but I'll still run with it cos it's a dark elf and I love 'em.

Stuff the orks, they're the same the world over :)

Those Squig Herders are absolutely the funnest chars I've ever played.

They are just so far out there, that they are totally in a class wholly and solely their own.

And those bounding rubber ball like Squig are worth the price of admission alone.

I don't think any MMO will ever surpass them for originality :-)

Once you get your head around the games mechanics, then you really start to have fun.

The first couple of hours were a dead assed struggle to work things out.

RvR sounds really exciting, and this is from a confirmed solo PvE player...????

I still haven't worked out professions, but that will be left for tomorrows trawling of the game sites for the relevant info.

But hell, it's an amazingly enjoyable game so far... three lvl 3 chars O_O

I have no idea what it's like once the noob areas get left behind, but as it stands at the moment, it's a damn enjoyable game.

I didn't have any probs that were disturbingly bad, just a little lag occasionally, mainly at/towards the end of a fight.

Just a one on one noob fight, where we'd be standing still for a few seconds and then it's over.

I can live with lag if it's like that.

It's a shame you can't play Skellies or Skaven.

Skaven would have been nice, but meh to it now.

Yeah, so have fun guys.

:-)

At the moment im just stuffing around with all the classes. I get to about level 4-5 and I get bored and switch class... I think Ill give a caster a go now...

The DSE in town only got the game last Friday :(

Put the crunch on and got a BW to chapter 6 and an Archmage to chapter 5

Turns out the friend I was gonna roll with is only up to chapter 3 :P

Destruction feels more interesting than order, who doesn't like to break stuff, but it seems everyone else came to that conclusion as well.

So I rolled order for the early underdog feeling - and quick queues.

-Raw

(MMO addict in denial)

really enjoying the game so far, although having trouble settling into a single class as a main.

At this stage I'll probably end up running the Marauder as my main, although I'm still tossing up between my Black Orc and Squig Hearder.

As far as classes go, I think Mythic did a brilliant job of giving each class a lot of flavor and style.

Marurder - lvl 14

Black Orc - lvl 9

Squig Hearder - lvl 9

Chosen - lvl 7

Sorceress - lvl 7

I might even decide to roll some Order ALTS on another server one of these days to see what it's like ;)