Sign in to follow this  
Amiga4eva

5.1 PC sound through home theatre

So I wanted to play a few games through my shiny new 50inch HD TV and 5.1 setup, but alas, I can only seem to get sound through the two front speakers on the surround system.

Here's the facts,

- I'm using Vista, with onboard Realtek HD audio.

- The 5.1 works fine for say, DVDs through the DVD player itself (no PC involvement), no issues.

- I have the PC connected to the home theatre DVD player/base via a 3.5mm to RCA cable, from the headphone jack to the L and R audio in on the back of the home theatre base..

- Using the Realtek audio manager I have selected 5.1, and tried fiddling with Quadraphonic on/off etc, no joy, the test only produces sound from the left and right front speaker.... no centre or rear speaker sound.

What am I missing here? This PC setup worked fine with 5.1 PC speakers, e.g Logitech or some such.

Helpies?

So I wanted to play a few games through my shiny new 50inch HD TV and 5.1 setup, but alas, I can only seem to get sound through the two front speakers on the surround system.

Here's the facts,

- The 5.1 works fine for say, DVDs through the DVD player itself (no PC involvement), no issues.

- I have the PC connected to the home theatre DVD player/base via a 3.5mm to RCA cable, from the headphone jack to the L and R audio in on the back of the home theatre base..

- Using the Realtek audio manager I have selected 5.1, and tried fiddling with Quadraphonic on/off etc, no joy, the test only produces sound from the left and right front speaker.... no centre or rear speaker sound.

What am I missing here? This PC setup worked fine with 5.1 PC speakers, e.g Logitech or some such.

Helpies?

So you have a 3.5mm cable from your sound card to Amp.

That is only going to give you stereo sound at the very best.

It all depends on what sound card you have??

and

What inputs on the Amp are??

Most amps will only output what sounds are inputted. ie 2 channels are input, front left and right come out. This is in Analogue world.

Main Questions, Name that Sound Card and Amp??

Here's the facts,

Helpies?

So you have a 3.5mm cable from your sound card to Amp.

That is only going to give you stereo sound at the very best.

It all depends on what sound card you have??

and

What inputs on the Amp are??

Most amps will only output what sounds are inputted. ie 2 channels are input, front left and right come out. This is in Analogue world.

Main Questions, Name that Sound Card and Amp??

There is no sound card, as stated in the original post, it's onboard Realtek 5.1 audio.

The Amp is this one - http://www.sony.com.au/homecinema/catalog/...jsp?id=DAVDZ570

So what do i need to be hooking up to get 5.1? and what extra cables will I have to snaffle from JB hiFI or Dick Smith?

I have a Realtec HD onboard chip. On my back plate there is a RCA Socket with the label of SPDIF.

Grab a RCA to RCA cable, Preferably one that is labeled Digial Coax and plug it in there and then into one on the back of your amp.

In the settings make sure you mark 'Output digital audio source'

Switch to the Source on the Amp with the Coax connection and you should be now running in 5.1

****Notice****

Not all sounds that come from your computer will use all 5 speakers. You will find that only when playing from DVD's, some Video files or some games that it will make use of all the speakers.

If for instance you want to be playing your music collection and want to use all the speakers, I suggest you find the speaker mode along the lines of 5ch Stereo. This just grabs the Front left and Front Right and plays it thru the corresponding rear speaker and mixes it for the centre.

Hope that helps.

8)

If there is no Coaxial SPDIF (I have none on my Gigabyte MA78GPM-DS2H), you may find that you have an optical out from your onboard Realtek HD.

In which case you may need a Toslink cable, on the Sony website it doesn't mention if the Toslink will need to be of the 3.5mm or plug variety.

Easiest way is to go with Multichannel out put. That is to say 6 analogue outputs. To do this you need three cables these cables will be 3.5mm stereo to 2 rca. Each one of these cables will carry a stereo signal (Left and right in on cable, Left and right effect and Center and Sub in the third). This is the easiest way from a setup perspective, because of audio re-encoding.

Your sound card (realtec chip) has to support dolby encoding (I don't know if yours does) to get 5.1 in games out. But multichannel analogue should work out of the box.

Amiga, lets make this a little easier what motherboard do you own and what amp do you own. Tell us this and we can look up the spec of both and tell you exactly how to connect the two for 5.1 goodness. Just be warned depending on what your running there is the chance that you might need to buy a new sound card to get the job done, are you prepared to do this? If so what kind of price are you willing to pay?

cheers

Wow.. Those are incredible equipments you got there. You're right there are some missing pieces to make it even better. Hope you get that missing piece, so you can satisfy your cravings.