Midnighter

Watched anything good recently?

Net is shaped. Slow as shit. I've actually resorted to digging out dvds and movies i've been saving up for that time I've nothing better to do, and with the net basically useless, seemed a good time. Last night, watched Der Untergang (Downfall), Terminator Salvation, and Gran Torino (again, for about the 4th time. :P). Tonight I went thru Rambo 4, and Ninja Assassin. Still deciding what to watch next. Don't watch a whole lot these days, I tend to space it out, then just watch a whole lot of stuff at once.

Really need to be in the mood. It's odd, but my ability to keep paying attention, and not lose interest, has gotten worse over the years. Must admit tho, Ninja Assassin didn't leave me feeling bored at all. Damn, near non-stop action, and plenty of it. Der Untergang was an interesting view of Hitler's final days, was interested when I first heard about it, never got around to it, and finally got myself a copy just a few weeks ago. Well worth the watch. Terminator Salvation had glaring plot holes, but was a fun movie nonetheless. Sam did a fine job as the cyborg, practically carried the whole film. Gran Torino was just solid, and not at all boring. Cool. Rambo 4 was something I got as an afterthought. Was unsure at first, but the closing scenes and the mayhem that followed were def far from boring. :)

Flicking thru things now, trying to decide what else i should watch. Just taking stock, and realising my stock of dvds and the like has def grown, bunch of stuff i got to watch and just not gotten around to it. Good time for hacking into it. Plenty to see, and plenty of time. All weekend, and too tapped to do much else, amay as well take advantage. What I've watched so far has def not been boring.

So, watched anything good recently?

I'm about to start Season 5 of The Wire!

Fuck I loved that series. I met a couple from Baltimore not so long and had a few questions for them. What's it like in Hamsterdam, etc :P As one might suspect, they said they get asked a lot of questions about Baltimore.

I went through Oz again recently. I was having a conversation with my brother, and he asked me if I'd seen Prison Break. I said "Nah, it's just a bit too plastic, not very believable." I asked him if he'd seen Oz, and he said "Nah, too many dicks." lol.

I also watched Deadwood again a few months ago, another great series.

Watching a series takes up a little too much time though...

I don't know if it's your thing, but check out a Korean film by Kim Ki Duk called 3 Iron. One of my favs.

Edited by komuso

I literally just finished watching all those nazis blow their brains out (Downfall) for the first time before clicking this topic. Wasn't bad, but that sort of thing just doesn't interest me. It does make me want to go blow the dust off of the original Wolfenstein 3D game, is that bad?

I'm having as much trouble as everybody else with finding good films to watch as I relax. Just sort of gave up on it and started compiling a classical/soundtrack music playlist.

Btw, I found a few interesting classical songs that mesh perfectly with some post-2000 music. As an example:

Henry Purcell's Funeral of Queen Mary (Start at 1:10):

X-Ray Dog's Here Comes the King (Chronicles of Narnia trailer soundtrack):

Even the drum crescendos mesh together so well that it sounds like a single song if you play them directly back to back.

Recently I've watch all the Only Fools and Horses episodes then Rock and Chips (prequel) and The Green Green Grass (spin off). Movie wise I sat down with the kids and pulled out all the 80's movies I loved as a kid, Labyrinth, Goonies, Dark Crystal, etc. They liked most of them too :)

Currently on my TV-get list:

"The Good Guys"

"Sherlock"

"Eureka"

"Warehouse 13"

"Would I Lie To You?"

"Mock the Week"

"IT Crowd"

"That Mitchell & Webb Look"

"Futurama"

"True Blood"

Edited by hectorbustnuts

watched a doco last night on SBS "Stalin 3 faces of evil" was pretty good.

I'm also going to watch the one on tonight about Tunguska to, should be good.

Yeah, Burn Notice is my favourite 'stupid, fun show'.

And oddly, not as stupid as most. At least in the first few episodes of the first season. They actually had almost practical information about tech and decent information about human gullibility and whatnot thrown in. It's gotten more generic and over the top since then, but they established it nicely at the start. Edited by tantryl

As it had to really............what I meant was, I don't have to think about the plot, just watch the action.......and Fi.

"Human Target" was another action/espionage show that I really rather enjoyed. Based loosely on the DC comic (in name mostly) it's worth checking out.

Really picks up after the third episode where they start to explore a larger season-story.

Human Target is decently more stupid than Burn Notice, but certainly good fun.

I'm not with LP in saying that it was necessary, but it was certainly nice that they bothered to throw a little realism in those early episodes. Grounds the witty sillyness in some practical muddling.

I've rented 5 seasons of the F word from the library. A good watch that's more diverse than your usual cooking show. And at 12 one hour episodes a season, that's easily... 5 hours of TV.

Oh, also check out "Outnumbered".

It's a riot.

EDIT: Note, this is an additional suggestion...and doesn't follow on from the action/espionage theme in any way.

Edited by hectorbustnuts

Hmm, some interesting suggestions. Wiki'ing a few of them, but even that is painful right now. :/

Will have a look later.

I'm about to start Season 5 of The Wire!

Fuck yeah old timer.

I watched a UFC match the other night on One HD. I usually don't get into it at all. But for some reason I gave it the benefit of the doubt and stayed up.

The main event was between Georges St Pierre and John Fitch....goddamn, it was pretty bloody awesome. Pierre was all over Fitch, dominating for pretty much all 5 rounds. But the pounding Fitch took was commendable, very commendable.

Pretty sure it was an old match, from like 2008....as I said, I'm not really into it, but this one was good.

...watched anything good recently?...

The Missus having a shower count?

Edited by merlin13