Sign in to follow this  
scc

Windows 7 and indenifing monitors

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT connected to to two BenQ FP222W LCD's, both are using VGA cables, one (the right hand one) with this white adapter thing

When I booted up this morning I had a very annoying surprise, when I got to the point where I should get the log-in screen my primary monitor (on the left) did not display the log-in, instead I got an out-of-range warning, I managed to WORK AROUND this and actually log-in and now have some sort of understanding of the problem.

Windows (7) has decided that it doesn't think my left hand monitor is a BenQ any more, rather for some reason a generic Non-PNP monitor, I know this because this is what windows is calling it by default now, what this means is that my max res on the effected display can't go very high any more, no more then 1280*768, I don't think that it's driver based, or a least not enterily, as mucking around with the drivers has not produced much effect so far

Try uninstalling the monitor in device manager and then rescan for hardware changes.

I've found any edition of Windows can do this..........usually after an update.

As aliali suggested, try reinstalling, although, you may have to do it manually.

Beware, it may change back though!

Aliali, yeah I did a google search and found that suggestion, after that switched the monitors around (1280*768 on a 22 inch widescrren monitor 20 cm from face is not nice) and it resolved itself, looks it was a lose connection at the monitor