Sign in to follow this  
Amiga4eva

I like your old stuff better than your new stuff...

Old food? No thanks. I'll have none of that mouldy muck.

Old women? Keep your cobwebs and cantrips away from me.

But old Consoles? There's some magic right there.

I'm not talking the orignal Xbox here - at least not for the most part - I'm talking further back in time, older, archaic even. I'm talking consoles back when cartridges were sleek, "Multimedia" meant swift connection to your wood grain finish Sharp Linytron Plus TV and controllers weren't controllers unless they were bigger and uglier than your head.

Or mine.

Starting to sense the names now? Jaguar, Neo Geo, Dreamcast, NES, Sega Master System et al. Oh yeah, the original bad boys of high class, low resolution gaming.

I've been thinking of starting a hobbyist collection of these beautiful beasts, and wanted to draw on the advice of Atomic at large. You see, I know I can bid for most of these things on eBay and - very occasionally - win something. But are there other avenues? Other sources, markets, collections that you know of where an intrepid traveller through the annals of video game history can find his fix? Dank alleyways where misshapen cretins unload 3DO games from their hole-ridden trench coat pockets?

Australia preferred, but anything is worth a look.

only console I ever had was the Atari 2600

was the best thing ever as a kid.

only console I ever had was the Atari 2600

was the best thing ever as a kid.

River raider. Fuck yea!

-X

You're a bit late there mate.

Sadly, a number of avenues are now all but defunct.

Not so long ago, the Salvo/Vinnie/YMCA and op shops were the place to find the good old stuff and usually on the cheap.

It would seem now that Salvos are not any longer doing electrical goods. They usually get things test/tagged, and I imagine that it's probably costing them more than they make in many cases.

On top of that, you'd have the liability issue if something happens to go bang.

Sucks really, especially given that practically all old consoles just use a wall-wart and effectively run on 5V DC internally.

There's also rubbish recycling places which some coucils run or subsidise. I've gotten proably 8 or 9 Playstations and all except 2 work fine.

Aside from eBay, there's also the Oztion auction site, but I find it a bit quiet.

I'm more into the computers... another Atari 7800 has been about my only console aquisition in the last couple of years (now have 3 of them). Part of the reasoning to get it is that the CPU is the same revision that my 8-bit Atari computers use.

i once fished an atari 2600 and about 30 games out of a dumpster once, but it was busted, not working, so after holding onto it for years, i dumped it myself, along with all the games.

River raider. Fuck yea!

-X

River Raid, actually.

I picked up a River Raid 2 cartridge last year.

Actually, that reminds me of another avenue - Cash Convertors.

I got this one from their online auction site. Problem is, and I suspect they bullshitted me - it took ages to get here. After nearly 2 weeks I sent a message asking where it was. Get the reply saying it must have been lost and they were going to send me the other one they had in the store.

The reason I say bullshit is that it's a relatively rare game and it'd be fairly unlikely they'd have 2 of them in the one store.

Other problem with CC as we all know - they're utter ripoff merchants regardless of if you're buying or selling, although I landed this one fairly cheap.

Good grief! My first console was bought in the late 70's! Lots of pong style gameplay - think it had two sliding controllers. Two directions - up AND down!

Where's my google copter??

Aside from eBay, there's also the Oztion auction site, but I find it a bit quiet.

I'll give Oztion a crack, and failing that continue to be outbid on eBay :).

Cash Converters don't hold much old stuff anymore, but independent pawn shops can be good, and also cheap on really old gear. If you're really keen, grab the local paper, get up before dawn and go garage sale-ing. Very hit and miss, but when you strike, you tend to get a bunch of stuff in one hit.

Ask everyone you know if they still have their old gaming gear in a box somewhere. Offer them a pittance for it. Drink away your guilt.

And enjoy :)

I love how the Original xbox isn't old, but the Dreamcast is.

There was a ~3 month overlap (in NA) of when they were sold together ;)

Garage sales.

I love garage sales except that I don't get up that early on a Saturday morning.

Back in 1988 or thereabouts we threw out an original Atari and around 30 cartridges - in the council clean-up. Make you shudder?

If you want an Atari 2600, one of the 128in1 jobs might be an idea

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Atari-2600-Console-...=item4aa346b5bc

I've got one, but only paid about 20 bucks.

Then again, a 7800 will play 99.9% of the 2600 games, and is fairly cheap too, and representative of the last of the 8-bit consoles.

Personally, I'm not really into consoles - about the only ones I'd add to my collection would be an Atari Jaguar and a Dreamcast.

I have a Sega Megadrive and a Nintendo Entertainment System, working and ready to fly. Just need to hook them up

I never had a really big collection of old consoles. I did like to hold on to those I had bought over the years; picked up from garage sales and while elephant stalls; been given by friends and acquaintances and whatnot. Had a whole bunch from a Pong-like clone through to the DC.

Last year I had to trade, sell or give them pretty much all away. No space to store them all, and I wasn't using most of them most of the time. Now if I want my old-console fix I have to go to emulators. Which isn't so bad - I have a basic game pad for my PC and it does the job. I just don't have room for all the machines, carts, discs, boxes and cables any more.

:--[

The Dreamcast came out in 98, the Xbox came out in 2001, just because the DC was discontinued a few months after the xbox was released doesnt mean the DC isn't older.

Old consoles? Sounds like Console Gaming to me!

BAM!

As for the topic at hand, my oldest is an Atari 2600, up from that my next console was my Game Gear.

The Dreamcast came out in 98, the Xbox came out in 2001, just because the DC was discontinued a few months after the xbox was released doesnt mean the DC isn't older.

I'm not arguing that the DC isn't older, just wondering how with only 3 years between release dates one console can be considered "classic", while the other isn't.

Especially when the DC has been riding on the nostalgia express for quite a while already...

I've got a Master System, NES, and Mega Drive sitting at home. I find that I feel like setting them up and playing some games quite often, but when I do, I'm highly disappointed.

I find the urge is just pure nostalgia, once I start playing the games I realise how much games have evolved in every single way, and the console goes straight back in the cupboard.

.... Yet I still won't get rid of them :P

I'm even like this with older PC games, original Unreal Tournament, Quake 2, games I used to LOVE! But now when I play them I feel like something is missing heh.

Edited by Brock

I've got an old Atari 2600 with the Cadillac style wood panelling, one original controller, and fifty odd cartridges in storage somewhere. Haven't touched it for years but I could never part with it.

6-switch woody 2600s are the biz... both the ones I've got are the somewhat ugly Jr model.

The Jr is much easier on space though. The 2600 original was a lot bigger than it needed to be because they were initially going to build speakers into it.

Brock I can totally agree - often old games demonstrate aptly the limitations which are no longer a factor through their inadequacies. But I would add that playing *some* of the old games is a good reminder of what I really like about a particular genre or style of game.

The games that stand the test of time - UT98, F-Zero X, SMB3, SimCity 2000, SF2:TWW, OOT and others - also demonstrate the limitations of their time but at the same time demonstrate a purer "core" gameplay style that, while embellished over the years, remains the compelling nugget that keeps us coming back for more.

There was also my Vic-20, which gets classed as a pc but was mainly a games box, cartridges and all.