Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SceptreCore

Google Acquires Agnilux

By OS news

And thus, the fun continues. A few years ago, Apple bought PowerPC processor company PA Semi, whose technology, some claim, ended up in Apple's A4 processor. Some PA Semi people, however, left Apple shortly after the acquisition, opting to found a new start-up company instead. This company, Agnilux, has now been bought by Google.

The interesting part about this whole thing is that nobody really knows what Agnilux was working on, since it was a so-called stealth start-up. The New York Times tried to find out what Agnilux was working on earlier this year, and they came away with very little. "Some kind of server" - that's as far as they got.

"We want to make a splash," Mark Hayter, the chief operating officer at Agnilux, told The New York Times, "We don't want our manufacturer to take our intellectual property before we're ready." In other words, we have no clue as to what these guys are building.

As for who's on file working there, it's not a bad list. We've got some of the PA Semi brains, as well as a number of people from Cisco. Then there's Scott Redman, the director of application software, who used to work at TiVo as a software architect. Google could very well plan to move into the hardware business, or it's just a simple case of the people being valuable.

We'll have to wait and see.

Interesting. Is it just to make their own server products, or do Google have something larger in mind?

Thoughts?

Google bought a startup that no one even knows what they were making? And we're supposed to discuss what dude? We got nothing. :P

Google is getting its fingers into a lot of pies recently, It would not surprise me too much if we started to see some google-branded server/networking hardware appearing in the near future. They certainly should know by now what that kind of hardware needs to do.

Google bought a startup that no one even knows what they were making? And we're supposed to discuss what dude? We got nothing. :P

It's no stretch of the imagination. Developing their own chip\s for whatever reason could see them become majorly huge.

It's no stretch of the imagination. Developing their own chip\s for whatever reason could see them become majorly huge.

Yep I can see economies of scale coming into this buy. Even if it is a custom chip, the huge amount they could save on optimised hardware and software building would be a gimme for an organisation like that.

It's kinda like Apple restricting OS X to specific hardware, except Google is only restricting themselves and not the customer.

They already design their own server hardware that's manufactured by Gigabyte. I'm pretty sure they use Intel chips in them too (all from memory) so maybe they're buying the company to support their in-house server tech.

Yep I can see economies of scale coming into this buy. Even if it is a custom chip, the huge amount they could save on optimised hardware and software building would be a gimme for an organisation like that.

It's kinda like Apple restricting OS X to specific hardware, except Google is only restricting themselves and not the customer.

I think it could be a think tank for design ARM SoC's for both smartphones and perhaps netbooks and ultrathin. This could make them much monies.

I would have thought that google wouldn't build servers as it goes against their cloud computing they are building but thats just me.

I think it could be a think tank for design ARM SoC's for both smartphones and perhaps netbooks and ultrathin. This could make them much monies.

I read this and I thought:

tablets?

They release Droid, let others take the first steps into smartphones and then come in with their own device.

Rinse and repeat for tablets, and time it for Android 3.0 ... is it all coming together?

It's all rumour and hearsay but it's nice to imagine...

tablets?

They release Droid, let others take the first steps into smartphones and then come in with their own device.

Rinse and repeat for tablets, and time it for Android 3.0 ... is it all coming together?

They are going to be one powerful microsoft.

... I mean, tech giant.

tablets?

They are going to be one powerful microsoft.

... I mean, tech giant.

we should start the hate now. so we can get in on the Goodle hate at the ground level.

but slightly more seriously, google, cloud and mobile/clound devices. if that pans out it will put google in a prime position. like microsoft and OS's.