Sign in to follow this  
Pimps_2000

network cables

i got a 10/100/1000 net work using net gear GS116 and also GS 3000 netgear router. i just purchased 1 $$ network cables from msy... on them they say cat 6e.

im curious have i purchased the correct network cable for the network or did i purchase a substandard network cable thanks.

Yeah if it works....it works!

I tend to only use quality cables, I've had far too many stupid problems from poorly made cables.

Things like massive packet loss and gigabit connections only running at 10mbps. They can take up a shitload of your time to diagnose.

motoxx can you please recommend me a good cable ? msy dollar cable is just too cheap to be any good !!

Seriously, if it works and you get full rated speed / no packet drops its fine.

I've used both 'cheap' and 'expensive' cables, and in most cases both are fine. Usually the main difference between the two is the markup.

I've had just as many dud expensive cables as cheap ones too. If I'm really worried I just make my own cable and test it before use.

i was transferring a huge video file from one computer to the other data transfer rate was 1.6 megs/second... bottle neck was the hard drive ? normal sata drive 1.5 - 3 gigs sata 2 data transfer.

i was transferring a huge video file from one computer to the other data transfer rate was 1.6 megs/second... bottle neck was the hard drive ? normal sata drive 1.5 - 3 gigs sata 2 data transfer.

1.6MB/s on Gigabit ethernet...something is very wrong. That's like, wireless G speed.

1.6MB/s on Gigabit ethernet...something is very wrong. That's like, wireless G speed.

Yeah, Doubt its the cable. Going to be the router you've got or a setting on the NIC you have.