Lambo

Build Log: Racing Cockpit

So long after I finished the arcade machine, the next project was never going to be far away, and with the release of F1 2010 this September, it because obvious it had to be a racing cockpit.....

So lets begin:

You can't have a racing cockpit without a racing seat. Now I thought this would be easy to find but it's actually quite dificult. Most of them are very very expensive and I had trouble finding a cheap one. Then I stumbled across this site: Sold Smart.

Specifically I choose this one:

http://www.soldsmart.com.au/l3.aspx?goods=CL7022BK

@ $190 odd dollars with free freight it was by far the cheapest one I found. I will warn you if you do consider this, you need to give it at least 3 weeks as I believe that they import them from overseas.

Now the actuall build. Strangly enough there are lots of racing cockpits out on the web, but very very few plans available. So I basically designed my own.

To the pics!

First the seat:

Posted Image

The cockpit base:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Checking the angle of the wheel mount:

Posted Image

Posted Image

More to be posted.

Edited by Lambo

Time for a little modding.

First thing you have to do with the pedals from a G27 is remove them. Obviously most pedals you depress down which is against what actuall cars do......

So you reverse the pedals....

Posted Image

Removing the pedals:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So what are you planning on doing to keep the cables from the pedals away from your feet? Just tidy them up and have them tied/connected to the board?

Looking great so far anyway, wish I had room for something like that! What type of screen do you plan on using?

So what are you planning on doing to keep the cables from the pedals away from your feet? Just tidy them up and have them tied/connected to the board?

Looking great so far anyway, wish I had room for something like that! What type of screen do you plan on using?

Yup, the cables will just get tied away no drama.

Monitor well it has to be big. I'm going to start shopping around for a 32" LCD, or 37" LCD soon. Something full HD obviously.

What's that type of wood called?

MDF, you can find it any pretty much any hardware store or even easier, every single bunnings.

What you see so far is about $80 worth. So it's not expensive.

Edited by Lambo

Lambo, may I suggest the Senzu 37" LCD TV to you? Its around $600 and is 1920x1080 resolution. Not as good as samsungs or anything, but probably one of the best TVs at that size/price, you'd be hard pressed to find many other FullHD 37" LCDs for under $1000 I reckon. I use mine for PS3 (BluRays look great on it still) 360, Wii and PC and I'm very happy with it.

MDF, you can find it any pretty much any hardware store or even easier, every single bunnings.

Sweet cheers.

Nice and strong yeah?

Sweet cheers.

Nice and strong yeah?

16mm thick, very.

Nice project Lambo, looks to be coming along nicely.

Might be worth considering an eyefinity set up if your budget is permitting.

http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-532.shtml

$760 for HD5970 2GB

plus

$450ea 3x LG 27" W2753V-PF Totals $2110

or

$220ea 3x LG 23" 2353V-PF Totals $1420

While that has definately crossed my mind there are two things that stop me.

Firstly I'm not a huge fan of the bezels getting in the way.

Secondly and I guess the most important. Budget definately does not cover it :(.

However since a cheap 32" LCD TV is realtively cost effective, I won't rule out doing it later on the track as an 'upgrade'.

Lambo, may I suggest the Senzu 37" LCD TV to you? Its around $600 and is 1920x1080 resolution. Not as good as samsungs or anything, but probably one of the best TVs at that size/price, you'd be hard pressed to find many other FullHD 37" LCDs for under $1000 I reckon. I use mine for PS3 (BluRays look great on it still) 360, Wii and PC and I'm very happy with it.

Excelent Idea, and my work are the sold disties for Senzu so it might be worth seeing what deal I can cut at work!

Day 2:

Some mounts at the top, this will support any LCD's that will sit on it.

Posted Image

I've also split the top so that I can remove it to get at the pedals just in case.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now the dashboard

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mount for the gate-shift:

Posted Image

Then tested the spacing and comfort....all spot on!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Holly shit Im very impressed. I want to watch this progress over time. It looks amazing.

Holly shit Im very impressed. I want to watch this progress over time. It looks amazing.

Thanks. :)

lol looks like you're nearly finished with it already!

Are you building a PC specifically for F1 2010 aswell?

Yup, it didn't take that long to do the basic build part. The arcade cabinet from previous was well over 6 months of building.

A new PC dedicated to just Racing games is very much on the cards.

Heh very nice. looking very different to what mine will look like. Had plans to do the same thing with the pedals too :)

Heh very nice. looking very different to what mine will look like. Had plans to do the same thing with the pedals too :)

No doubt, there are a billion different ways you could do this......

The important thing no matter how you do it is the driving position. As long as you get that right the rest is just details.

Edited by Lambo