Lambo

Build Log: Racing Cockpit

I wish I could get you to build me one. GT5 this November.

Are you going to put the seat on tracks.... so you can adjust the driving position just like in a real car. If this were my project... everything would be adjustable.

:)

I wish I could get you to build me one. GT5 this November.

Are you going to put the seat on tracks.... so you can adjust the driving position just like in a real car. If this were my project... everything would be adjustable.

:)

The seat is on tracks yes. Definately have to have that. The steering is adjustable as is the pedles.

Should also note that noting I've done here is overly expensive, nor complicated.

All you really need is a circular saw, a jigsaw and a cordless drill.

Last work of the day. Sorry nothing overtly exciting, but for the sake of a build log.

Putting up:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Most of it is all sanded now.

Will give another light sand tomorrow night after work. Next step is to add in some pilot wholes for the mounts on the dash for the switches and toggles for misc in game functions (eg lights, pit limiters, other misc stuff)

I was thinking of using some of my left over buttons from my arcade machine, but then that would kinda go against the theme here, so I'll probably pickup a bunge of togles and buttons from Jacar or Dicksmith.

Edited by Lambo

Ahh cool :) I figured it would be something like that...

I'm quite interested in this stuff as I'd really love to build my own cabinet one day ( i followed your cab build fairly closely and was very impressed)

Had a feeling it was something fairly simple.

Nice work man, I never got around to completing my second one, looking at the pics has reignited the fuel, and yeah finding plans was quite a bitch, my initial design was of my own after troubles with ones I found.

Just one small thing, not sure if you'd thought of it or not...

I see you joined your MDF like so (plan view):

|   |-----------------
 \   |
 |============ <-Screw
 /   |
 |   |-----------------
 |   |
 |   |
 |   |
 |   |

But I've always joined it like this for added strength (plan view):

|   |--\--/-----------
 |   |   ||
 |   |   || <- Screw
 |   |   ||
 |   |---||------------
 |   |   ||   |
 \   |   ||   |
 |=========== | <-Pine
 / ^ |   ||   |
 | S |--------|
 | C |
 | R |
 | E |
 | W |
 |   |

Just because pine is a much more solid material for screws to bite in to.

Other than that, looking good man!

Just one small thing, not sure if you'd thought of it or not...

I see you joined your MDF like so (plan view):

|   |-----------------
 \   |
 |============ <-Screw
 /   |
 |   |-----------------
 |   |
 |   |
 |   |
 |   |

But I've always joined it like this for added strength (plan view):

|   |--\--/-----------
 |   |   ||
 |   |   || <- Screw
 |   |   ||
 |   |---||------------
 |   |   ||   |
 \   |   ||   |
 |=========== | <-Pine
 / ^ |   ||   |
 | S |--------|
 | C |
 | R |
 | E |
 | W |
 |   |

Just because pine is a much more solid material for screws to bite in to.

Other than that, looking good man!

Oh I agree, however in places where you would see the pine support I opted against it. And since it's pretty much a box, it's very solid.

I've now finished the undercoat.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still deciding on the final paint scheme.

Are you going to add a total cost and materials used at the end?

Just for people who might be curious.

Oh I agree, however in places where you would see the pine support I opted against it. And since it's pretty much a box, it's very solid.

Oh yeah, fair call.

Needless to say, it looks awesome man!

Are you going to add a total cost and materials used at the end?

Just for people who might be curious.

Total cost is going to be a sliding scale. Arguably the most expensive thing is not actually building the thing, but the things you add to it.

Mind you if you already have everything except for the actuall cockpit it's self it's actually very cheap.

There wouldn't be anymore than say $80-$100 in wood there. MDF is cheap strong, and easy to work with. Allthough you would have to add additional cost for say screws/nails/glue/paint, and not to mention tools.

In this case mine will be much more as I want this to be dedicated. So a new PC just for this will be purchased, along with a dedicated LCD (at least 37")

I would say if you just wanted to build the cockpit alone, you could do it for under $150.

The rest is up to you and your budget. :P

Still deciding on the final paint scheme.

Ferrari Red? :)

Definately not a Ferrari fan. If anything I'm thinking red bull racing as I'm a webber/vetal fan (when their getting along).

Oh yeah, fair call.

Needless to say, it looks awesome man!

Ta. I used pine supports on the top for where weight of the LCD will be. Needless to say it's 16mm MDF and it's 5ft long. So it's very heavy, but also very sturdy.

Lambo, may I suggest the Senzu 37" LCD TV to you? Its around $600 and is 1920x1080 resolution. Not as good as samsungs or anything, but probably one of the best TVs at that size/price, you'd be hard pressed to find many other FullHD 37" LCDs for under $1000 I reckon. I use mine for PS3 (BluRays look great on it still) 360, Wii and PC and I'm very happy with it.

Good news, can get this from work for about $450!

Should get one (or 2) of these for it

It's on the list down the track. Budget probably doesn't fit in. But it's very very very tempting. Do you know where they are sold in Australia?

It's on the list down the track. Budget probably doesn't fit in. But it's very very very tempting. Do you know where they are sold in Australia?

PCCG used to stock them, not so sure now though.

PCCG used to stock them, not so sure now though.

I did have a very breif look last week, but couldn't find anywhere in Australia that sold them. So if anyone finds out, I'm all ears!

Searched for butt kicker and buttkicker on staticice and came up with nothing. Ebay australian sellers comes up with nothing, altho gets a few hits with international sellers, you may need to import.

Nice build Lambo. have wanted to do exactly the same for a number of years, but have never had to space to spare.

Re ButtKicker, the Aust disty is:

Actron Technology

Allen Mercier / International Sales Director

Ph: +61 (0) 419 292 650

Fax: +61 8 8388 8604

Email: allen@actrontec.com.au

From: http://www.thebuttkicker.com/sales/international_sales.htm

They're SA-based. If you give them a call I'm sure they can point you in the direction of a reseller close to you.

Cheers,

Caff.

I've been tackling the paint scheme, and this is what I've come up with. I've used inspiration from the RB6 (This years redbull) colors. I'll call it the RB7 (LOL)

Posted Image

Well what kind of pc would be required as a dedicated machine?

Not really that much.

I'll probably chuck in something like a i5 750 with 4gb and a GTX460. Might be overkill but what the hell.