Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
eckythump

Looking to buy a new LCD monitor

Hi!

I am about to buy a new monitor and was hoping I might be able to get a little info from existing owners to narrow down my options.

I won't be playing games, so I imagine pretty much any screen will perform just fine for my needs. I will likely buy from MSY and will get a 27", but both of these are flexible.

I have a rather unique requirement, however. I have horrendous eyesight, and as such I will be sitting *very* close to the screen. My desk has a small shelf that the monitor stand will sit on, and I'll have it as far forward as possible, and I ideally want a monitor with a stand that doesn't protrude more than an inch or two past the front of the actual screen. Monitors with large stands where the actual screen is set back several inches from the front of the stand would be bad, and I want to avoid this, especially as I may be buying without an opportunity to see the monitor out-of-hte-box.

The two monitors I'm looking at are the LG W2753V-PF and the Asus MT276H as this is what MSY sell, but again, if neither of these are suitable, I will conside rother options and places to buy from.

I'd like to keep the budget under $500, but I'll spend what I need to spend t oget what I need.

Any info anyone can give is appreciated.

on the stand your best option although most expensive might be to move to one that isn't part of the monitor but part of the desk and that the monitor is attached to. Would give much more flexibility over placement of the monitor vs keyboard etc. Something like a Plasma TV wall attachment but with arms. Usually seen in offices to hold multiple screens but it might be possible to find one for a single screen for a reasonable price. This would, clearly, give you the option of much more variety in screens and prices for them so it may still meet the budget.

on the stand your best option although most expensive might be to move to one that isn't part of the monitor but part of the desk and that the monitor is attached to.

My thoughts exactly

Depending on how you are set up either a wall, through desk, or desk clamp. Some of the Brateck ones are now available in AU

http://www.lumi.cn/ as are some of the Spacedec/Visidec models

http://www.atdec.com.au/Content_Common/Mai...73-e51026fe1ad5

Only used one of these hings so far and it was the through desk SPACEDEC Acrobat Swing Arm. Once fitted and adjusted it is pretty easy to move the monitor around.

Up for a couple of hundred $$ or more for one of these though.

Both those screens are nice but remember that the LG is only 1920 x 1080 which wouldn't be that awesome for that size screen.

The ASUS is 16:10 1920x1200 which is really nice for that size

Had a look at trying to get yourself like a Dell 2709?

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion of third-party monitor stands. Ideally I won't need one, but it's good to keep that in mind as a potential problem solver for this and any future monitors.

mudg3: You say both the LG and Asus screens I mentioned are nice. Have you seen/used them in person? Do you remember what the stands on them were like? Seriously, this is my primary concern at the moment. My eyesight is too shit to care much about resolution.

There is a new slim model from asus, the VE276Q $489 at Gamedude. Has the same resolution as the other 2 but a different style of stand.

$469 at Umart.

Edited by bbrannan

I think I'll have to have a look at the monitors out of the box and see what the stands on them are like.

I'm in Sydney. Can anyone recommend any shops that have a decent number of large LCD monitors on display?

Recommendations for places I might be able to see clamp-to-desk swivel arms would also be good.

I've seen them both.

The LG's stand is the same as all the other LG stands its pretty good.

Asus one I've seen to which is perfectly fine as well.

If your eye sight is shit then anything will do.