Sign in to follow this  
bnew

Single Malt Scotch Recommendations

Definitely prefer my Islay's, particularly Laphraoig and especially their Quarter Cask and 15 yr olds. But you have to like peaty and slightly salty scotch's. Others include Macallan Cask Strength which is one of the nicer aged, stronger whiskies as it has some real flavour, syrupiness and bite to it. And very partial to Talisker and Oban. Currently consuming a Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Glen Grant Cask Strength (14yr old) and a Japanese whisky which is really nice and refined but has no real character. I'm not really a Speyside, more a Highlands and Islands man myself.

I've tried a few scotches. All I found was an explanation for the Scottish temperament.

I've yet to find a well known single malt that I didn't like. They all have their own character and are worth trying.

Blended whiskey tends to lose to much character for my liking though.

I definitely prefer the Islay whiskey's to the Highland alternatives though. (I like the peat smoke)

I like Lagavulin 16YO, and I almost always have a bottle of it on the go, as it is my favourite. Pricing seems weird on it, Where I usually buy it, the price has gone from $80 to $115 over the last 2 years, but I recently came across a shop selling it for $85 - the same place had the special release 12YO cask strength (58%) for $115 (which I tried instead - V nice, but I think I find the cask strengths a little strong for my tastes). To be honest if you can get a bottle of the 16YO for under $100 it's a good drink, and could easily become your favourite if you find you enjoy Islays :)

Lagavulin 16yo is my favourite at the moment. So damn tasty that it doesn't last very long at all.

Best I can do on price is $109 at Liquorland or $100 at the Wine Society....last time I was in Dan's I didn't recall seeing any...might have to go back and have a proper look, as they will have the best price around.

Gelnfiddich 12yo is my everyday quaffer though.

Edited by twinair

I've tried a few scotches. All I found was an explanation for the Scottish temperament.

I think this says more about you than the scotch.

I ended up getting:

-Glen Moray Classic

-Glenfiddich 12 Year Old

Now, the hard part. Which to try first?

Try some good blends as well! If I had the option, all I'd drink is Johnny Blue.

Teachers and Famous Grouse would probably be the main blends I like. Haven't had Johnny Walker anything for quite a while

So, how did the taste test go?

That's tonight, too tired to do anything last night.

What are you waiting for? Tuck into it now!

Alas, I didn't think to take either of them to work with me.

Wrong. But if you say that again I'm going to come around to your house, kill you, and rape your wildebeest.

Wrong. But if you say that again I'm going to come around to your house, kill you, and rape your wildebeest.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Okay, time to report back. I thought I'd go in order of age, so The Glen Moray was first (well, it doesn't mention age on the bottle, but I get the impression its a fairly young single malt- say 6-10 year old).

-Glen Moray Classic: In a lot of ways this reminded me of a blend (in a good way). Not particularly complex but very smooth, I can see why I have heard it recommended for people why want to try scotch for the first time. Very cheap for a single malt and not a bad drop, but nothing special. Probably won't get this one again.

-Glenfiddich 12 Year Old: I have to thank the people in this thread that mentioned this one because its easily the best of the two. I get the feeling this is what a single malt is meant to be like. Very drinkable, amazing butterscotch taste/smell. Will be getting this again.

Thanks again for all those who posted their suggestions. I didn't release Atomic had so many scotch drinkers :-)

Okay, time to report back. I thought I'd go in order of age, so The Glen Moray was first (well, it doesn't mention age on the bottle, but I get the impression its a fairly young single malt- say 6-10 year old).

-Glen Moray Classic: In a lot of ways this reminded me of a blend (in a good way). Not particularly complex but very smooth, I can see why I have heard it recommended for people why want to try scotch for the first time. Very cheap for a single malt and not a bad drop, but nothing special. Probably won't get this one again.

-Glenfiddich 12 Year Old: I have to thank the people in this thread that mentioned this one because its easily the best of the two. I get the feeling this is what a single malt is meant to be like. Very drinkable, amazing butterscotch taste/smell. Will be getting this again.

Thanks again for all those who posted their suggestions. I didn't release Atomic had so many scotch drinkers :-)

Try Macallan next of =>10 years but you have to try an Islay at some stage, try in a bar first as it IS an acquired taste and nothing worse than an almost full scotch bottle sitting there undrunk (or just invite us all round!).

Laphroaig Malt 10 Year Old 700ml - A scotch so nice.... you'll justify it's continual purchase.

I'd agree, although a 15yr old is preferable in many cases. But for a new drinker that is unaware of the somewhat unsubtle flavouring of the Islay's...

Try Macallan next of =>10 years but you have to try an Islay at some stage, try in a bar first as it IS an acquired taste and nothing worse than an almost full scotch bottle sitting there undrunk (or just invite us all round!).

Yeah, that's a good point. I'm a bit of a homebody though so I don't get to many bars. Trying an Islay is on the list of things to do though.