Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bnew

Single Malt Scotch Recommendations

As much as I like blends, I've decided its time to try a nice single malt scotch. The only time I've ever tried a single malt in the past it was polluted with coke and ice, so I didn't really get to taste it properly.

What do the scotch drinkers of Atomic suggest I start with? I'm not going to be able to afford the best, so looking at something in the $50-$100 range. Also needs to be something that Dan Murphys stock, since that's where I'll be going. If you can give me an idea on the taste/finish that would be appreciated too.

For the record, I'd also be interested in what people consider to be the best blend and bet single malt they've tried (regardless of price).

http://www.webcellars.com.au/scotch-whisky...54.html?sort=4a

Glenfiddich Special Reserve 12 Year Old 350ml [1596]

Unit: $34.20

Glenlivet Malt 700ml [1601]

Unit: $58.56

Glenfiddich Special Reserve 12 Year Old 700ml [1597]

Unit: $69.50

Talisker Malt 10 Year Old 700ml [1624]

Unit: $82.84

Macallan Fine Oak 12 Year Old 700ml [1620]

Unit: $85.35

Ardbeg Single Malt 700ml [1581]

Unit: $90.09

Laphroaig Malt 10 Year Old 700ml [1573]

Unit: $90.87

Glenfiddich Solera 15 Year Old 700ml [1595]

Unit: $98.28

You'll find most, if not all, of these at a local bottle shop.

That was quick! So are these all ones you have tried?

That was quick! So are these all ones you have tried?

Yup.

I keep a bottle of Glenfiddich or Glenlivet 12 year old on the go for regular drinking and Laphroaig 10 year old for specialler occasions.

Glenmorangie 18 Year Old for very special occasions. (In fact, I think this bottle's still unopened)

Excellent, thanks for the replies so far.

Another question for you all- how much care do you take in storing your scotch? Are you a stickler for keeping it somewhere cool and dark, or do you just keep it out in the open? Does it really make a difference?

Another question for you all- how much care do you take in storing your scotch? Are you a stickler for keeping it somewhere cool and dark, or do you just keep it out in the open? Does it really make a difference?

Just in a dark cupboard.

I've often wondered about keeping scotch in a decanter myself.

I always decant wine (I only drink red and always finish a bottle once opened), but since scotch is less for quaffing, I've always been curious as to the practicality of it.

(Also, I saw a wicked nice decanter and glass set on the weekend that I'm considering buying myself).

Just in a dark cupboard.

I've often wondered about keeping scotch in a decanter myself.

I always decant wine (I only drink red and always finish a bottle once opened), but since scotch is less for quaffing, I've always been curious as to the practicality of it.

(Also, I saw a wicked nice decanter and glass set on the weekend that I'm considering buying myself).

Funny you mention the decanter. I scored a nice one on ebay myself recently, and was intending on keeping my scotch in it. Two things have changed my mind though:

1. Light/heat. The decanter looks great on display in our china cabinet, but it gets too much light to hold the scotch and remain on display.

2. Lead leaching into the scotch. Something I hadn't even considered until I read a few articles the other day about it. I'm still not 100% sure on this one but until I find out I'll err on the side of caution.

So, I'll decant the scotch when we have visitors, but the decanter won't be used for long term storage. Dark cupboard it is.

My personal preference over the last few years has tended towards the Islay malts, because I quite like the smokey/peaty flavours, but they may not be for everyone. (Beyond that, I've not cared about getting too involved in the cask types, processing etc, I just try things and buy what I like a second time - I usually have 3-4 bottles on the go)

I like Lagavulin 16YO, and I almost always have a bottle of it on the go, as it is my favourite. Pricing seems weird on it, Where I usually buy it, the price has gone from $80 to $115 over the last 2 years, but I recently came across a shop selling it for $85 - the same place had the special release 12YO cask strength (58%) for $115 (which I tried instead - V nice, but I think I find the cask strengths a little strong for my tastes). To be honest if you can get a bottle of the 16YO for under $100 it's a good drink, and could easily become your favourite if you find you enjoy Islays :)

Ardbeg is a good Islay - I think I paid $75 for my last bottle about a year ago.

Laphroaig: I didn't like the 10YO and would not buy it again. I haven't tried their more expensive ones - and they do get expensive - but since they are well regarded I expect I'll try one some time (Given the costs, I usually wouldn't give a distillery a second try for other regions, but I like the Islays, so I probably will)

Other regions/malts that I don't mind (the highlands are popular with a lot of people)

Highland: Dalwhinnie is very nice, and easy to approach - easy to recommend to someone starting to drink single malts straight/on the rocks, and not overly expensive.

Highland: Dalmore: A bit stronger/fuller flavour but still easy to enjoy.

Isle of Skye: Tallisker 10YO: Enjoyable

Speyside: Aberlour A'bunadh: Strong heavy hitting cask strength (approx 62%) - this was a favourite until I got onto Islays. I haven't tried Aberlour's other offerings, but I will one day.

Glen Livet, Glenfiddich, Laphroaig are the single malts I've tried - and I've enjoyed every single one of them.

I preferred Glen Livet over Glenfiddich, but the choice between it and Laphroaig depends on my mood.

I also have a bottle of special edition Arbeg, which is very om nom nom.

So far my experience has been that if it's single malt - you can't go wrong :P Just buy anything and see if you like it. (Although, probably best to avoid the peaty Islays at first)

Rob.

The trick is going to be working out what to buy, since I've never really tried any I don't have much to go by. Something lighter like the Dalwhinnie stadl mentioned will hopefully be a good starting point.

Excellent replies so far, thanks everyone.

If you're looking for a less complex drop (which is what I assume you mean by "lighter") but still good quality, check out the Macallan 10 year old.

It's a little too uncomplicated for me, but still enjoyable.

I love Glenlivet, got a bottle of 15 year ready for my birthday next month.

My mate drinks Oban and it is fantastic, $90 a bottle though.

Talisker is nice and Laphroig is good, although very strong flavour. Dan Murphy's have a 15 year or 18 year special release in the cupboards for about $130, I bought and enjoyed that.

If you're new to scotch, I'd recommend going to a decent bar and trying a few different ones on a lazy Sunday afternoon. It's better to spend $10 - $15 on a glass to find out if you like it vs $100 for a bottle.

Edited by spaced

If you're looking for a less complex drop (which is what I assume you mean by "lighter") but still good quality, check out the Macallan 10 year old.

It's a little too uncomplicated for me, but still enjoyable.

Yeah, by lighter I mean something slightly less complex.

I can see this is going to be a tricky choice. The solution might be to buy more than one :-)

All my recommendations have already been covered here, mainly by hec - we clearly have similar tastes in single malts :-)

I had a McCallan 18-yr-old recently, $150 for the bottle, very nice... similar to the 10-yr-old in being a 'cleaner'/'lighter' taste, but quite nice all the same.

Glenlivet/Glenfiddich/Talisker are my go-to's for regular drinking.

All my recommendations have already been covered here, mainly by hec - we clearly have similar tastes in single malts :-)

I had a McCallan 18-yr-old recently, $150 for the bottle, very nice... similar to the 10-yr-old in being a 'cleaner'/'lighter' taste, but quite nice all the same.

Glenlivet/Glenfiddich/Talisker are my go-to's for regular drinking.

Indeed we do.

Make it Meet X and I'll be sure to buy you one!

hehehehe "unit"

hehehehe "unit"

You're just happy that more B&B episodes are being made!

Macallan was recommended to me as 'a good daily drinking Scotch' by a professional spirits tasting judge I met on a plane last November.

I don't drink very frequently, but when I do, it's Chivas 18yo.

I'm an Islay fan myself. Unless you're into iodine and smoke, though, you may want to start somewhere else. Coincidentally, this leaves a little more for us. ;)