Sign in to follow this  
G-relk

Wireless networking frustration

So, I updated my old Acer Aspire one to a much better Acer Timeline mini notebook, and while i love the thing to bits, the wireless network card in it either sucks, or my modem router isnt as great as i thought.

my setup is pretty basic, my Billion Router is in the master bedroom at one end of the house, and my room is at the other, maybe 20m or so apart at most, with only a few doors and a wall or two to go through. i have cordless home phones, but they are on 1.8ghz, so theres no chance of interferance there.

basically, my problem is that the timelines wireless signal drops out like a mofo, where the adapter in my old acer never really had any problems. signal strength wavered between 2 and 3 out of 5 bars on the aspire, where the new timeline is useless. even though it constantly tells me it has 4 or 5 bars out of 5, its constantly dropping in and out. even when it does have a connection, its gone again withing a second anyway. I've tried updating the drivers to the latest version from intel, but it hasnt improved the situation. setting the wireless channel on the router also did nothing to improve the situation. I had a fiddle with the cards settings, and made sure its got full power, but that didnt make any differance either.

from what I've researched, the wireless card i have (an Intel Wifi Link 1000) isnt really the best. would it be worth it swapping it out for something a bit better?? anyone have experience with differant mini-pci wi fi cards?? the one in the old mini was an atheros, do they have a good reputation??

and, before anyone suggests it, the card in the old mini is a full length mini PCI, while the new mini has a half-mini pci slot, so no chopping and changing there, as theres no room for the larger card to fit :(

Does it hold its connection okay when you're near the wireless router?

yes, i was surfing the net in the living room earlier tonight without any hickups, so its obviously a range issue as thats about the halfway point between my room and the router.

will it take an intel 5300 wireless card? they have 3 antennas and from what I have heard are pretty good or you could get these http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/produ...ories/NENP201AV I got the cheaper ones and they are so awesome, best mix of no wires running though the house and wired net.

yeah, it'll take a 5300 fine. basically as long as its only half length im set. Ive seen a few people talking about those, thats probably going to be the go me thinks. also heard some good about the atheros AR9280 cards, which go for about $20 on ebay, so ill give it a whirl first as its a bit cheaper. i can always resell if it sucks. plus, i only have 2 antennas in the laptop anyway, so it'd probably be a waste getting the intel.

i already have cables running into my room for my desktop and PS3, i would just like wireless access for my laptop so i can stream a movie over my network and watch it while im in bed :D

EDIT: wait, that thing you linked, connects to your modem/router via ethernet then send out a wireless signal at one end?? thats pretty neat..... though, ultimately a touch pointless for me as i already have a cable in my room.

EDIT2: also, if a new wireless card doesnt do the trick i think ill just replace the network switch in my room with a wireless router. then ill just have a smaller network for my end of the house. theres a cheap wireless G TP-link router on PCCG for $32 that will do the trick. or a similar wireless N unit for $48.....

Edited by G-relk

You thought about maybe just buying another wireless access point?

yeah. thats what i may have to end up doing. Ill see how the atheros card i just ordered goes, and if it doesnt help the situation, then ill just buy a cheap access point.

EDIT: wait, that thing you linked, connects to your modem/router via ethernet then send out a wireless signal at one end?? thats pretty neat..... though, ultimately a touch pointless for me as i already have a cable in my room.

No, no wireless, it uses the copper electricity cables in your house, so you have 0 disconnections while gaming but don't need cables runing through the house.

No, no wireless, it uses the copper electricity cables in your house, so you have 0 disconnections while gaming but don't need cables runing through the house.

ah, righto then, i must have read the description wrong. still, thats radical, expecially if your moving houses frequently and dont want to route cables all the time.