Sign in to follow this  
krispy89

An Android phone for $349?!?

It's with the Telstra network.

Gizmodo.com.au

HTC Wildfire Available On Telstra For $349 Prepaid by Nick Broughall August 10, 2010 at 3:55 PM

The HTC Wildfire, the latest HTC Android handset, launched today exclusively on Telstra for the bargain basement price of $349 outright on prepaid. Could this be the best cheap phone on the market?

Running Android 2.1, the Wildfire comes with all the standard HTC additions to Android like Sense UI, flash support in the browser and the ability to share apps with friends. It also comes with Swype, the fantastic text input method, which should help type those letters on the edge of the keyboard.

The Telstra exclusive deal ends on November 15, so it’s a fairly substantial period of time you’ll have to go to Telstra to get the phone. Like the Desire before it, the Wildfire will come pre-loaded with BigPond apps you won’t be able to delete permanently from the phone, but for $349, can you really complain?

Here's a spec sheet and a demo video;

Really at that price, you'd be laughing!

With a 5 megapixel camera, mp3 playback, WiFi, Bluetooth, Expandable memory (up to 32gb), and Internet Tethering capability, it's a VERY nice alternative to a phone that starts with i.

But I'd be looking into buying it overseas, flashing it and placing a different version of Android on it.

What does Atomic think of it?

Reliable fast 3G connection, great coverage. what a shitty network!

It's pre-paid, and Telstra's Pre-Paid options aren't the best of the bunch.

I'm on Telstra prepaid. I have looked at 3 and Optus' offering, and they can't do me better.

Rob.

It's a low-end handset, as you'd expect.

320 x 240 screen and 528MHz processor. That being said, it's still a decent phone.

That's a very sucky screen res :S But 528MHz and 384MB of RAM? That's better than my iPhone 3G.

Rob.

As I dont have one, how is android evolving? is it noticible?

Symbian for example isnt. My old NGAGE performs just as well and just as many functions as my E63. Its older but you dont notice.

Froyo came with a decent performance boost, and some cool features such as pushing websites and locations to your phone via your computer. Symbian has nothing on a modern smartphone OS.

see cyber i'd say thats a point of view oppinion.

eg. iphone apparently has a whole list of features. though my symbian has MP3 player, web browsing, MSN, and a bunch more. and untill the multi-app update, symbian was WAY better.

Even now i find it easier to switch between a LOT of apps on my phone than others.

Blackberry is a lot better to use, but seems to stop responding to data requests a lot (bold 9000 im talking here)

Symbian is fully automatic and always works for me. menus are mixed up but otherwise i find it amazing.

Thats what I was wondering/ No matter the symbian version I could add apps. What are the LIMITS of the old android phoens?

Speed boosts are a big one, so thanks for thatk, but hows app support etc?

I'm not sure what you mean by "my symbian has MP3 player, web browsing, MSN, and a bunch more." Both iOS and Android OS do that out of the box.

Android OS has true multitasking, and iOS has pseudo-multitasking. Switching apps is easy on either. As for app support, Android programmers are encouraged to program to the lowest common denominator. Obviously, if an app needs a feature in a newer version of the OS, you'll need that OS to use it. Fortunately, even if the telco/manufacturer doesn't update your phone to the latest OS, Android is open-source, so you can root it and install alternate distros such as Cyanogen if you want (which is quite good).

I can't say I've ever been happy with a Symbian based device. Unless they've drastically changed it lately, it's in the league of the feature phone.

my ngage was amazing in the day, and my E63 connects to wireless and IPphone stuff wayyy more reliably and quickly than my mates android. and those options hardly even exist on an Iphone.

Windows mobile was OK when i had it, but it was wayyyyy too option loaded for a phone. even a smart phone. It had more than a standard PDA.

thats a great price to get in on an adroid 2+ operating system. Sure the galaxy s, nexus one etc have twive cpu speed, ram etc but the price tag is also doubled to achieve this.

I'm on Telstra prepaid. I have looked at 3 and Optus' offering, and they can't do me better.

Actually Linux, they are.

I'm with Robzy on this one. Despite how much people bag out Telstra, I'm on pre-paid with them atm and I am yet to find a better cap, plan, or prepaid offer from Telstra or any other provider that gives me the same or more value for money, at the same price, as I'm on atm. I recharge $40 a month and get about $320 worth of calls and text, if my memory serves me correctly. You just need to buy the "___ Plus Packs".

Good value, great coverage, fast network, what more could you want. (Besides a decent support service that doesn't hand-ball you around)