Sign in to follow this  
Amiga4eva

wireless Cable through an ADSL2+ modem router

I had ADSL2. This was reasonable. I got a maximum of 300KB/s.

I now have 50GB/50GB cable at 30Mbps down, which nets me about 4MB/s. This is better.

My question however is, can I somehow use my existing Netgear DG834Gv4 ADSL2 wireless modem/router to serve as the wireless router for the cable modem? eg, can I have no phone port into the Netgear, plug the cable modem into one of the 4 LAN ports on the back, and then serve out cable wireless to my laptops etc within the house? Would there be config fiddling?

Or am I better off purchasing a dedicated wireless router for this job?

Assist me, you bright green sparklings of networking knowledge.

Should be doable. What is the model of the cable modem? Config wise you shouldn't have to do too much either, other than your normal wireless settings.

I came across a similar situation recently- a client had Telstra Velocity for their internet (no modem, comes into the house via a standard ethernet cable). Telstra had provided them with a Thompson brand ADSL modem router with an inbuilt four port switch and wireless. They use the four port switch, and they use the wireless, but they have no phone cable going into the back of the Thompson unit for the internet connection- they have the Telstra Velocity ethernet cable going into one of the ethernet ports to supply the internet.

So yeah, you might as well re-use what you already have :-)

Edited by bnew

Should be doable. What is the model of the cable modem? Config wise you shouldn't have to do too much either, other than your normal wireless settings.

I came across a similar situation recently- a client had Telstra Velocity for their internet (no modem, comes into the house via a standard ethernet cable). Telstra had provided them with a Thompson brand ADSL modem router with an inbuilt four port switch and wireless. They use the four port switch, and they use the wireless, but they have no phone cable going into the back of the Thompson unit for the internet connection- they have the Telstra Velocity ethernet cable going into one of the ethernet ports to supply the internet.

So yeah, you might as well re-use what you already have :-)

Cable modem is just a black Surfboard... not sure about the specific model (though I could take a look).

So, what would I do? Reset the modem router to factory defaults, plug the cable modem into the first LAN port - and just config the wireless security and I'm done?

No, I don't think that will work. Not plugged straight into the SURFboard modem anyway.

When you connect a device to the cable modem, the IP address it obtains is a public Internet IP, not a LAN IP. This is because the cable modem is merely a bridge, it does not perform any NAT routing or similar magic.

The routers bnew is talking about are designed to obtain the public IP on one of their network interfaces, and NAT route that to the other network interface. Your DG834 does the same thing, but it obtains the public IP through the ADSL interface instead of an ethernet port.

The DG834 won't try to obtain an IP from one of its LAN ports and NAT route to the other ports, it's just not designed to work that way.

You will need a regular wireless router for this job, unfortunately.

No, I don't think that will work. Not plugged straight into the SURFboard modem anyway.

When you connect a device to the cable modem, the IP address it obtains is a public Internet IP, not a LAN IP. This is because the cable modem is merely a bridge, it does not perform any NAT routing or similar magic.

The routers bnew is talking about are designed to obtain the public IP on one of their network interfaces, and NAT route that to the other network interface. Your DG834 does the same thing, but it obtains the public IP through the ADSL interface instead of an ethernet port.

The DG834 won't try to obtain an IP from one of its LAN ports and NAT route to the other ports, it's just not designed to work that way.

You will need a regular wireless router for this job, unfortunately.

Ah okay- I've never played with cable internet so I wasn't sure what the go was there. Thanks for clearing that up.

Thanks for the help guys - any advice on a good, stable wireless router to buy? (what kind of model should I be looking at to get both good throughput from my cable, and also still allow laptops with built-in (potentially slightly older) wireless adaptors on older modes to function okay? e.g some sort of mixed mode wireless? (current modem router only does 54Mbps)

Thanks for the help guys - any advice on a good, stable wireless router to buy? (what kind of model should I be looking at to get both good throughput from my cable, and also still allow laptops with built-in (potentially slightly older) wireless adaptors on older modes to function okay? e.g some sort of mixed mode wireless? (current modem router only does 54Mbps)

Something that does dual band would be the go- then you can provide connectivity for older and newer wireless devices.

I haven't had much experience with dual band routers personally, but an example of the kind of thing you'd be after would be http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Review/17563...long-range.aspx

There's probably others on here that can give a personal recommendation though.

Edited by bnew