Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
LogicprObe

Keli Lane

You've got to wonder if she has ever figured out what was causing these pregnancies.

Are there really people this dumb still living among us?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw-...i-1225903656314

CLUTCHING her newborn daughter, Keli Lane may have slipped out a hospital's fire escape and gone to a place she knew well to kill the child - near the site of the coming Sydney Olympics, a jury has heard.

Senior Crown Prosecutor Mark Tedeschi QC said Lane was studying at the Australian College of Physical Education at Homebush leading up to her daughter's secret birth.

Mr Tedeschi admitted there was no evidence of what had happened after Lane left Auburn Hospital about noon on September 14, 1996, and arrived at her parents' place in Fairlight at 3pm - without the baby Tegan. However, he said the hospital was near the Olympic site, which was then surrounded by vacant land and roads that were deserted, particularly at weekends.

"We don't know how or where the accused killed Tegan or how she disposed of the body," he told the Supreme Court jury.

But he suggested that the area would have given Lane a chance to kill Tegan privately, then dispose of the body before a wedding that afternoon.

Lane has pleaded not guilty.

Mr Tedeschi continued the Crown case yesterday, alleging Lane had told "complete and utter lies" over the years to cover five secret pregnancies, misleading authorities about the paternity of them and lying about her own circumstances.

About a fortnight before Tegan's birth, Mr Tedeschi said Lane had secured a plum job coaching the Ravenswood school's water polo team and she knew a child would stop her from taking it.

"The Crown case is that the accused never had any intention of taking Tegan home with her," he said.

She allegedly tried to have the baby induced three times at Ryde Hospital while her boyfriend was away playing football.

Lane eventually went to Auburn Hospital where she was able to convince nurses the child's birth was overdue.

When the mystery surrounding Tegan's birth was discovered, Mr Tedeschi alleged Lane gave a "false account", the essence of which she has maintained since.

Lane told police she gave Tegan to her father Andrew Morris - although she later said his surname was Norris.

However, Mr Tedeschi said Lane also told "myriad provable lies" that police have focused on in recent years.

He said "tens of thousands of man-hours" have been spent on trying to find Tegan and the child's father, to no avail.

The case continues.

edit - In case someone has missed a bit........

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/accu...9-1225903095741

The court heard Lane fell pregnant five times in seven years, keeping all of them secret from her family and friends.

Edited by LogicprObe

So, there are five possibly six couples who don't have the opportunity to adopt thanks to her Callous Disregard

of human life.

WTF ! Does she have some reason for not using contraceptives ? Does her ' faith '( if she has one ) stop her

from using even a condom ??

So, there are five possibly six couples who don't have the opportunity to adopt thanks to her Callous Disregard

of human life.

WTF ! Does she have some reason for not using contraceptives ? Does her ' faith '( if she has one ) stop her

Who gives a shit about those hypothetical couples, wow big loss (though you have to have something to lose it in the first place) to them! It's irrelevant and unimportant, that's not the tragedy here.

That baby never got to experience a life, even a short life of just a few years of a childhood even

Edited by Athiril

of human life.

I think you guestimate poorly at the motives.

Infanticide figures are actually quite high in the western world, and there's a lot of interesting research floating around on it, but its a strongly taboo topic.

Unintelligence isn't really the issue,nor is poor education.

Social support sytems are in place, but the way some people can be.. innoculated? raised? taught? prevents there use.

There are always stories and reasons, and some of them may be based on real psychosis, and others on behavioural problems.

Generally, in cases like this, the most important question is usually "why?"

Could be worse.

http://www.news.com.au/world/dominique-cot...i-1225898725805

Dominique Cottrez 'killed babies' because 'she did not want to get contraception'

* July 29, 2010 11:51PM

THE two daughters of a woman who has admitted killing eight newborn babies say they didn't notice she was pregnant.

Police in the northern French town of Villers-au-Tertrehave charged Dominique Cottrez, a nursing assistant in her forties, with murder.

Mrs Cottrez admitted delivering the babies herself and placing the corpses in plastic bags. She said that after a bad experience with her first pregnancy, she never wanted to see a doctor again.

She told police she buried two of the newborns in a garden and hid the rest of them in her garage.

Mrs Cottrez faces life imprisonment.

She insisted her husband, Pierre-Marie, knew nothing about the pregnancies nor the killings, according to an official close to the investigations. He had been arrested for failing to report a crime and illegally hiding corpses but was freed without charge.

Prosecutors described it as the worst case of infanticide in recent French history, following a string of similar cases in which isolated and troubled mothers disposed of their newborns.

The couple were brought before a magistrate in the nearby town of Douai to hear the charges and then remanded in custody. Mr Cottrez, who worked as a carpenter and was a respected member of the council in Villers-au-Tertre, was later let go.

Chief prosecutor Eric Vaillant said that Mrs Cottrez had admitted killing the babies because "she did not want any more children and did not want to see a doctor to get contraception".

She has been charged with "deliberate homicides against children under 15", which carries a life sentence, and has said she was not in denial about the pregnancies, which she was "perfectly aware of" as they were underway.

The couple's two daughters, who were in court to support their parents, told French newspaper La Voix Du Nord: "We have been aware of this for days now and it's still hard to understand. We didn't notice anything. She [Dominique] had moments of fatigue it's true, but she worked almost 24/7 between her job as a care worker and household chores."

Patrick Mercier, the mayor of Villers-au-Tertre, which has a population of 620, said that Mr Cottrez was a respected man in the community but that Mrs Cottrez was more withdrawn and rarely took part in village life.

He said she had a weight problem which might be the reason why any pregnancies had passed unnoticed.

"No one was aware of anything at all," he said.

The pair were arrested on Tuesday and questioned all day on Wednesday while police used sniffer dogs to search two addresses, after the new owners of a home found the bones of two infants while digging in their garden.

The house previously belonged to the parents of the arrested woman.

Search teams then headed on to the couple's current home in another part of the village, where six more sets of remains were found, a local councillor said.

Police were deployed outside one of the houses where the babies' bodies were found, and sealed off the entrance with plastic sheeting.

'You don't just throw children out'

Stunned residents of the quiet village of Villers-au-Tertre in northern France put flowers and candles outside the two houses where police had found the skeletal remains.

"I'm thinking of all the children in the world. I'm thinking of all the children who didn't ask to be born and were thrown out a few hours later," said local priest Father Robert Meignotte.

"I'm very upset. I baptise five children every Sunday in the 17 villages of the parish. You don't just throw children out like that in a big bag. It's incomprehensible."

Neighbours reacted with astonishment.

"They are normal people, who even have a role in the community," said one.

"It's incredible."

Another neighbour, a man in his 50s, added: "These are attractive, helpful, polite and courteous people, who did nothing to make you think them capable of anything abnormal."

The couple had lived in the village for 15 years and had two grown-up daughters who have children themselves, local residents said.

The incident is the latest in a string of similar cases in France.

Earlier this year a mother was convicted of killing six of her newborn children and hiding them in the cellar of her house in northwestern France.

Another notorious recent case was Veronique Courjault, who in June 2009 was jailed for eight years by a court in Tours, central France. She admitted to having smothered two baby boys born in secret at her expatriate home in South Korea in 2002 and 2003, and a third child born in France in 1999, and hidden them in a freezer.

She was freed in May 2010, having served four years in jail after the time she spent in remand since her arrest.

Eight. Fuckin' EIGHT!!

And no one picked up on these EIGHT pregnancies before she birthed and buried the babies.

EIGHT!!!!

of human life.

Who gives a shit about those hypothetical couples, wow big loss (though you have to have something to lose it in the first place) to them! It's irrelevant and unimportant, that's not the tragedy here.

That baby never got to experience a life, even a short life of just a few years of a childhood even

I chose to take that angle re the thread about Anglicare not wishing to provide children to homosexual couples.

And Mac Dudes opinion that the idea,- of there being too many children in Australia needing homes - was maybe correct.

And that this is why some couples were opting to adopt from outside of Australia....

Am fully aware of what the tragedy is in this instance.

of human life.

I think you guestimate poorly at the motives.

Infanticide figures are actually quite high in the western world, and there's a lot of interesting research floating around on it, but its a strongly taboo topic.

Unintelligence isn't really the issue,nor is poor education.

Social support sytems are in place, but the way some people can be.. innoculated? raised? taught? prevents there use.

There are always stories and reasons, and some of them may be based on real psychosis, and others on behavioural problems.

I don't guestimate anything poorly, in this instance. I merely proffered a scenario.

Um...of course there is a back story here. I don't know it and I've no idea if you have any personal knowledge of

this case either.

edit: my reply to Athiril...clarity.

Edited by eveln

It's hard to party with a kid hanging off you.

This guy would have to be a goose............

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/kel...rom=moreStories

The former boyfriend of Sydney woman Keli Lane said today he had "no comprehension whatsoever" that she twice fell pregnant and gave birth during their four-year relationship.

Duncan Gillies today gave evidence at the coronial inquest into the disappearance and suspected death of the second of those children, Tegan Lane.

The child went missing two days after Ms Lane gave birth at Auburn Hospital on September 12, 1996.

Westmead Coroners Court has heard Tegan was one of three children whose births Ms Lane kept secret from family and friends.

Two other babies born in 1995 and 1999 were legally adopted out, but Ms Lane said she gave Tegan away to the natural father, a man with whom she had an affair, named Andrew Norris.

Ms Lane had nominated Mr Gillies as the father of all three children in adoption and hospital records, the inquest heard.

But Mr Gillies, 33, today told the court he never suspected Ms Lane was pregnant or had been unfaithful during their relationship from 1994 to 1998.

Counsel assisting the inquest Sergeant Rebbecca Becroft (Rebbecca Becroft) asked Mr Gillies if he had any idea Ms Lane was pregnant during their relationship.

"It's obviously the case that Keli was pregnant while she was in a sexual relationship with you. At any time during 1995 and 1996 did you suspect that Keli was pregnant?" she asked.

Mr Gillies answered: "No.

People seem to be jumping to the guilty verdict but where's the body? Without a body, report of a missing person or admittance of murder, why is she even being tried? If she adopted out babies in the past, it stands to reason she may do so again so saying she just handed it over to the father is possible? There's nobody out there saying she didn't or couldn't have.

A friend was discussing this case with me today and suggests it's all trial by media, as Tedeschi has a tendency for...and why are they looking for Tegan Lane instead of Tegan Norris? She could be using another last name too. Who knows?

I can't believe you can be in a long term relationship and not know a couple of kids dropped out!

I can't believe you can be in a long term relationship and not know a couple of kids dropped out!

Considering that some women don't even know they're pregnant until the onset of labour, it can't be impossible.

Keli Lane there is a barber showing photographs

Of every head he's had the pleasure to have known

And all the people that come and go

Stop and say hello

Wait, no, that's not right.

Rob.

I don't guestimate anything poorly, in this instance. I merely proffered a scenario.

You're right. My apologies.

Keli Lane there is a barber showing photographs

Of every head he's had the pleasure to have known

And all the people that come and go

Stop and say hello

Wait, no, that's not right.

Rob.

I think it has potential, though.

LOL!

He's at it again!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/08...?section=justin

The former boyfriend of water polo player Keli Lane did not know she was pregnant or that she gave birth during their relationship, a jury has been told.

The man said after their first date on April 29, 1994, he "became very attached to Keli very quickly".

Within six weeks he was already thinking of the "big M" - marriage - and he believed she felt the same way.

The former footballer was giving evidence at the NSW Supreme Court trial of Lane, 35, who has pleaded not guilty to murdering her second baby, two-day-old Tegan Lane, on September 14, 1996.

The jury has been told Lane kept that pregnancy and two others secret and adopted out another two infants.

Under questioning from prosector Mark Tedeschi QC, the man said that during 1994 he did not become aware of Lane being pregnant or her being in her last trimester in early 1995.

He also said he had been unaware she had gone to a hospital to give birth on the night he, she and others were at a pub after she played a water polo final that day.

The man said they had a regular sex life, but he recalled they did change the way in which they had sex.

Their relationship in 1995 had been "a normal, loving, open, honest relationship", he said.

The hearing is continuing before Justice Anthony Whealy.

Found guilty with no body.

Interesting verdict.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12...?section=justin

Former water polo champion Keli Lane has been found guilty of murdering her baby.

Lane screamed "no", collapsed and fell off her seat on to the floor of the Sydney court as the verdict was read out. An ambulance was called.

Her mother also screamed "no" from the public gallery and burst into tears.

Lane, 35, had pleaded not guilty to murdering her daughter, Tegan, shortly after leaving Sydney's Auburn hospital in September 1996.

It took a week of deliberations for the NSW Supreme Court jury of six men and six women to reach a verdict following a four-month trial.

She was also convicted of three counts of making a false statement on oath in relation to documents dealing with her adopting out two other babies.

About ten minutes after the ambulance was called, Lane composed herself and sat in the dock with her lawyer.

Her barrister applied for bail, which was refused.

FWIW, on a forum Virtuosette frequents, people who claim to have gone to school with Keli Lane have stated that she was selfish and self-absorbed to the point of sociopathy. They believe she was completely capable of having and disposing of unwanted children in order to pursue her social life and sports ambitions.

As a jury which sat through the full case has found her guilty, I guess we must conclude that she is indeed a heartless person without moral conscience who deserves the strongest condemnation.

From the article Logic supplied...

The judge said to find Lane guilty of murder the jury must be satisfied beyond reasonable doubt she killed the baby.

"Suspicion is never a substitute," Justice Whealy said.

Justice Whealy told the jurors that emotion was to play no part in their decision and warned them not to make moral judgements against the accused.

Where's the child / body ?

This seems wrong to me. How can you make a judgement without suspicion and emotion in a case such as this ?

I don't think Lane should be free to do as she pleases, I think she should be institutionalised till the situation is completely understood - the body or living child is found, and the circumstances

around this made known.

Edited by eveln

If "lack of body" = "innocence" then murders will buy meat shredders and be able to kill with impunity.

The Sydney Olympic site, which is right near the hospital where Tegan was born, was under construction at the time of her birth.

I doubt Tegan's body will ever be found.

There is also the fact that Keli's explanation of the circumstances (ie what she did with the child) hasn't held up - she said she had given the baby to the father, but the person in question may not even exist.

info from here

It is a bit concerning that IF she is innocent that the system has found her guilty, but without knowing all the facts how can anybody really know...?

She gave police 8 different - conflicting - explanations during the course of their interviews.

It's hard to find a positive way of interpreting that.