Sign in to follow this  
delge

Overclocking 930

Hi i get the whole baseclock until the system becomes unstable then up the vtt the repeat, but how do you know when to stop upping the voltage does it have to do with the temperature of your cpu or is it the max voltage given on the box?

Cheers Delge

what are your specs first before we talk about overclocking, include cooling for the cpu, case cooling and what memory speeds you have at stock.

CPU Core i7 930

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7

Powersuply Silverstone Strider Plus 1000W

Videocard Ati PowerColor Radeon HD5870 (in the water cooling loop Stock speed and temps)

Ram Corsair CMG6GX3M3A2000C8 6GB Kit Dominator GT, Corsair Dominator Airflow 2 Fans

Case SilverStone Raven RV01 Case (stock fans 2X 180mm 1 X 120mm)

Watercooling EK-FC 5870 Plexi (5870 waterblock), Swiftech MCP655 12V Pump, Swiftech Apogee XT CPU Waterblock, Swiftech MCR220-QP Stackable Radiator, Swiftech HydrX Coolant

Fans 2 X CoolerMaster Silent Green LED Fan 120mm on the radiator

Thermal Compound Shin-Etsu X23-7783D Thermal Compound

Cheers Delge

OK so we can establish cooling won't be a problem :)

max voltage I would set for a 24/7 overclock is 1.375-1.4v which should get you at least 4ghz.

you could try 200bclk x20 and set your ram to 2000mhz, vtt to about 1.4v, uncore to about 4200mhz, qpi to x36 and vcore to about 1.35 and see if it boots, you may need to up the MCH voltage to about 1.3v to.

programs you'll want are:

real temp for temps of the cores

prime 95 (run for a good 6hours to make sure everything is stable)

LinX for 20 passes to see quickly if its stable if it is then move onto prime95

CPU-Z to tell you what vcore you have and what speed your cpu is at

Edited by nesquick

Probably best to read through a few guides before I'd dive in, you'll waste less time that way.

Although if you're already familiar with it then I'd start off at base settings then work my way up.

Yeah I have read through a few guides and watched some tutorials just wasn't sure about the voltages.

I use coretemp for the CPU temps ans OCCT for stability tests and I have CPUz are these good enough?

Also these settings I dont fully understand how and why they need to be set at these values. if you could explain them to me it would be great

uncore to about 4200mhz, qpi to x36 and vcore to about 1.35 , you may need to up the MCH voltage to about 1.3v to.

is the vtt the voltage for the motherboard and vcore the voltage for the cpu?

Cheers Delge

If you don't understand you need to do abit more reading before going any further.

1. CPU Clock Ratio - The multiplier used to determine CPU speed when taking the product of it and the CPU Host Frequency.

2. CPU Host Frequency - Speed of the bus i.e. Base Clock (BCLCK) or Quick Path Interconnect (QPI) speed.

3. CPU Uncore Frequency - Speed of the L3 cache and Integrated Memory Controller. The frequency should always be set to 2x or 2x+1 of the RAM divider i.e. if the 2:8 RAM divider is used, uncore should be set to 16x or 17x. If the 2:10 divider is used, uncore should be set to 20x or 21x.

4. Turbo Mode - Adds 1x to the last 3 cores and 2x to the 1st core when running stock Clock Ratios.

5. Voffset - Difference from vcore voltage setting in the BIOS to what is seen in Windows.

6. VDroop - The drop in vcore voltage seen in Windows when the CPU is under a load.

7. CPU PLL - The clock generator.

8. VDIMM - Memory voltage.

9. CPU VTT(uncore) - The termination voltage, you need this for higher QPI speeds. This should be within .5v of the DIMM voltage. This means if CPU VTT is 1.1v for example, the DIMM voltage can be no more than 1.6v. See (3) above.

10. IOH - Northbridge voltage.

11. ICH - Southbridge voltage.

12. PWM - The adjustable mosfet frequency, higher is cleaner power, but runs hotter.

Also read http://www.cyb3rglitch.com/tutorials/Overclock-Nehalem/ Cyb3rclitch did a great write up.

Edited by mudg3

Yeah I know that's why im looking for help

Tis interesting stuff though

Cheers Delge

Yeah I know that's why im looking for help

Tis interesting stuff though

Cheers Delge

No worries don't be afraid to ask, I don't mean to come across as rude.

Hey mudg3

nah you didn't come across rude you've answered heaps of my questions in other posts and stuff, your one of the good ones who will actually post an answer.

Cheers Delge

Yeah I have read through a few guides and watched some tutorials just wasn't sure about the voltages.

I use coretemp for the CPU temps ans OCCT for stability tests and I have CPUz are these good enough?

I use realtemp and linx which does exactly the same thing so should be perfectly fine.

Also these settings I dont fully understand how and why they need to be set at these values. if you could explain them to me it would be great

uncore to about 4200mhz, qpi to x36 and vcore to about 1.35 , you may need to up the MCH voltage to about 1.3v to.

I'd assume what nesquick's given you is a universal setting which should work although is not guaranteed on all systems, personally I wouldn't do that myself though.

is the vtt the voltage for the motherboard and vcore the voltage for the cpu?

Cheers Delge

This is why it's important to go through the steps in those guides thoroughly and do lots of practice, you'll get a much better understanding once you do.

I kinda just jumped in and followed nesquicks advice, had this i7 930 stable for 6 months now.

So would I but see if I could ride the vcore down a little.

I kinda just jumped in and followed nesquicks advice, had this i7 930 stable for 6 months now.

if this thread was posted ~14months ago I would of said stock vcore, since Intel has ruined the overclocking of bloomfields at low voltages though from about the last 8months or so you have to use much higher vcore to get the same results. Edited by nesquick

if this thread was posted ~14months ago I would of said stock vcore, since Intel has ruined the overclocking of bloomfields at low voltages though from about the last 8months or so you have to use much higher vcore to get the same results.

4ghz @ 1.1vcore lol

Now your lucky to pull 1.3

Theres a guy on ocau with a w3520 at 4ghz 1.0vcore prime stable.

my D0 i7920 which I stupidly sold could do 4.2ghz at 1.25v

Edited by nesquick