Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Girvo

Pocketable SLR?

I want a digital camera, but I cannot decide on what to get.

Whatever it is, I plan on pairing it with a pancake lens to get it as small as possible, so it can fit into my jeans pockets to be taken to concerts and what not.

I need something with decent low-light performance, but don't need very fancy features: just something that feels good in hand and has a decent control scheme.

The Panasonic LX5 (I know its not an SLR) seems excellent, but I dont' want to wait for it. :(

GF1? E-P1? E-420? Etc?

GF1 and GH1 are what you want, they're an SLR minus the reflex part. Mirror and pentaprism removed.

GF1 also takes the GH13 mod, and AFAIK opens up manual exposure control, and adds motion jpeg codec 100mbp, 4:2:2 colour sampling if youre serious on your video.

Im looking at a GF1 myself because of this mod.

I'd think twice about the E-420.

AFAIK beween the two, the GF1 is the shit, the E-P1 is not (by comparison)

If you want something cheap arse, small, reasonably fast and good quality to start off with, search for the Industar 69 on ebay, it comes in the Leica M39 screw mount thread for 35mm rangefinders, which has a very short lens to film distance (as does micro 4/3rds) and has inexpensive M39 to micro 4/3rds lens adapter son ebay.

It's 28mm f/2.8, which is equivalent of 56mm on full 35mm format, which is actually quite reasonably wide for many things without being too wide people etc, its a nice size.

The lens is about $30-$40 including shipping.

My 30D is a 1.6x crop, Nikon dSLRs are 1.5x, micro 4/3rds and 4/3rds are 2.0x

To put that in perspective though its still a 'large' sensor, thy are 18mm in width while my 30D is 22.5mm in width.

Cheapest ebay prices,

E-P1 - $519 ($608 with 17mm)

GF1 - $470 ( $843 with 20mm pancake)

Review - http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasoni...1/verdict.shtml

btw, the lenses between these companies can be used on each others cameras, with autofocus and all that jazz

Edited by Athiril

wow thats a nice size. I'd also be looking at the low end canon EOS range. they may not be jeans small, but they're cargo pants small.

The EP-1's AF is not as good as the Panasonic's, but image quality, especially jpeg, is better. Olympus have also released several firmware updates to rectify this. Also, the Olympus provides in-camera image stabilisation, a useful feature for telephoto, legacy glass, and lowlight, whereas the Panasonic requires the lens to be stabilised. Further, the 20mm f/1.7 is not stabilised. The Olympus 17mm is not especially good either, and both are probably useless for concerts, if you're in the crowd.

And whilst lenses are interchangeable, this can cause issues with AF speed, exposure accuracy, etc. Neither is also cheap, especially if you go down the road of buying adapters to use the full 4/3rds lenses, or Nikon F, etc, but an Olympus 40-150 would give you good coverage, and can easilly be found second hand.

Maybe look at a Canon s90, the Panasonic FZ series, etc.

single handed yes, but you could always look for an alternative hand strap. Or use some gaffer tape...

...or a K-M, with the 70mm f/2.4. In fact, if you place a 21mm, 40mm and 70mm limited together, their combined length is still shorter than most zooms. But a G1/G2 would be my pick.

NEX have no proper exposure controls, much like the Olympus EPL-1. Makes the whole thing a bit useless, especially given how good the sensor in it is.

NEX have no proper exposure controls, much like the Olympus EPL-1. Makes the whole thing a bit useless, especially given how good the sensor in it is.

Agreed, which is why I've ruled them out. Loving the suggestions so far, keep 'em coming!